Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

HMSQueen Elizabeth to sail for the first time

stevewinn

21 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

one for the diary; HMS Queen Elizabeth will be formally commissioned into the Royal Navy in Portsmouth by Her Majesty the Queen on 7th December.

Anniversary of Pearl Harbor. :unsure2: 

If you look her up here, and then click on 'Past track' it looks quite interesting. Looks like they've been seeing what patterns they can draw. At least they havent been doing what those US Navy pilots had been doing. :blush:

• Like 1

one of the main reasons for all her twists and turns is to test and record the cross winds and how the structures influence the flow of air across the deck. - She also carried out her pre-wet deck system - (to wash off radioactive material) Also tested was Radar systems and communications. back into Portsmouth Next week. readying for handing over to the Royal Navy on December 7th. - then its over to America in early 2018 for the F35B trials then back to the UK and into dry dock for structural checks, then HMS Prince of Wales will be on trials and will benefit from trials done on HMS QE, so the F35B trials will be finalised onboad HMS PofW. HMS QE will be out of dry dock, pre-deployment work up and then deployed for the first time in late 2020 early 2021 with 12 UK F35B's and embarked 12 USM F35B's

12 Royal Navy F35B'

9 Merlin HM2 ASW

5 Merlin Crowsnest

2 Wildcat HM2.

US contingent of

12 US Marine Corps F35B's

Its all starting to come together.

RNS Culdrose

The base, the Royal Navy say, has billed itself as ‘HMS Queen Elizabeth on land’ in preparation for the new carrier entering service.

The scenario centres around the carrier having been sent in to help the people of Redruvia, threatened by its tubthumping neighbour Camberland, according to the Royal Navy.

“Merlin Mk2s, Sea King Mk 7s, Hawk Jets and King Air Avengers all lifted off from Culdrose to simulate the mass deployment of aircraft on to a carrier… and a short while later touched own on the ‘flight deck’ of ‘HMS Seahawk’, the beginning of round-the-clock operations which will see aircrew collectively clock up more than 600 hours’ flying (when typically they’d only perhaps get in eight to ten hours individually

And RAS with RFA TideSpring our new Replenishment ships built for the Carriers.

Also in the news is the Argentine ARA San Juan submarine that was reported missing four days ago. -  a possible signal has been detected this morning. lets hope all 44 crew are rescued alive

Edited by stevewinn

Further to my post above:

• Like 1

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/18/2017 at 5:37 PM, stevewinn said:

one for the diary; HMS Queen Elizabeth will be formally commissioned into the Royal Navy in Portsmouth by Her Majesty the Queen on 7th December.

The Queen has officially welcomed the UK's new aircraft carrier, HMS Queen Elizabeth, at a ceremony to commission it into the Royal Navy fleet.

The monarch boarded her namesake ship in Portsmouth to see the Royal Navy White Ensign raised on the vessel for the first time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-42256046

• Like 1

This cake is quite impressive -

A giant cake modelled on Britain's largest warship will be presented to the Queen later.

The 8ft-long (2.44m) creation will take centre stage at the commissioning ceremony for the Royal Navy's new aircraft carrier in Portsmouth.

An Edinburgh cake designer created an edible replica of HMS Queen Elizabeth for the event.

It took more than 100 hours to complete, and required 7kg of flour as well as 160 eggs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-42254895

• Like 1

Another proud and Historic day for our country and yet another for the senior service of the United Kingdom, - and didnt Her Majesty look marvellous. God Bless her.

The Aircraft carriers and our Nuclear deterrent highlight our ambitions as a country, a Global power and a top tier country, very few can replicate.

The White Ensign now hoisted.

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 1

• Like 1

Thanks for posting those Stevewinn. It was a wonderful moment. 

At the same time.. I can't help but imagine the Queen giggleing a bit.. and saying... 

"I hereby name this ship... ME :P "

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Thanks for posting those Stevewinn. It was a wonderful moment. 

At the same time.. I can't help but imagine the Queen giggleing a bit.. and saying... 

"I hereby name this ship... ME :P "

did you see the cake? With the HMS 'ME'  :D

7e52e9d3-44af-46ea-9a49-95dcb7fa335d.png

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 1

ZOUNDS....... that's BRILLIANT !

No... I hadn't seen the cake when I made the comment. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Big Lizzie springs a leak: Royal Navy's £3.1bn aircraft carrier launched just weeks ago develops 'significant' defect that could cost millions to repair

Staff on HMS Queen Elizabeth found faulty leak on board the warship
    The battleship has fault which affects inflatable seal near propeller shafts
    Queen said ship embodied the 'best of British' following launch this month

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5192973/Navys-3-1billion-HMS-Queen-Elizabeth-leak.html#ixzz51gTWVNR0

• Like 1

Its the prop shaft seal. people will remember her prolonged stay in Invergordon early in her Sea trials. where one shaft was out of alignment. It seems the seal on the same shaft now needs replacing. I guess the sea trials worked identifying problems. Its a easy fix. - don't forget she is scheduled into dry dock for structural inspection sometime in 2018 bear this in mind. because you can imagine the media will try and spin it its something else.

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 1

I rather suspected the Daily Mail would get more excited than is perhaps really warranted when I heard the Beeb making this one of the Lead Stories on the News. 

9 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

I rather suspected the Daily Mail would get more excited than is perhaps really warranted when I heard the Beeb making this one of the Lead Stories on the News. 

Lead story on the BBC. crazy journalist who know nothing whatsoever about ships. water ingresses through these seals when operating. in fact its impossible to totally seal a spinning prop shaft.

Just a few numbers for perspective the seal is leaking at roughly 3 litres a minute. The normal pump can handle that by itself, but if it couldn't HMS QE pumps housed can handle 19,000 litres an hour or 316 litres a minute.

Its an easy fix, Cost nothing as it will be rectified by the builders and will not impact on the Ships scheduled. 

2 hours ago, stevewinn said:

Lead story on the BBC. crazy journalist who know nothing whatsoever about ships. water ingresses through these seals when operating. in fact its impossible to totally seal a spinning prop shaft.

Just a few numbers for perspective the seal is leaking at roughly 3 litres a minute. The normal pump can handle that by itself, but if it couldn't HMS QE pumps housed can handle 19,000 litres an hour or 316 litres a minute.

Its an easy fix, Cost nothing as it will be rectified by the builders and will not impact on the Ships scheduled. 

I reckon it will under warranty.

• Like 1

Sky News are playing it down more:

It makes for a good headline but the reality is the leak onboard HMS Queen Elizabeth is nothing to worry about.

In this case the leak is from a faulty seal around the prop shaft, a bit like a faulty washer. Divers need to go down, find it and replace the seal.

She is in Portsmouth - her home port - and she will be repaired there.

https://news.sky.com/story/warship-leak-embarrassing-but-worse-things-have-happened-at-sea-11177195

• Like 3

23 hours ago, skookum said:

I reckon it will under warranty.

Work is already under way. Divers.

71c65164-7da4-4927-b7ed-1f01c86f5441.png

Rumour as it the second carrier HMS Prince of Wales as been floated out of dry dock today. another mile stone in our carrier capability. - (i don't seem to be able to find a link, even from the official sources)

16 hours ago, stevewinn said:

Rumour as it the second carrier HMS Prince of Wales as been floated out of dry dock today. another mile stone in our carrier capability. - (i don't seem to be able to find a link, even from the official sources)

Picture to go with my post from yesterday.

920dfa45-fe08-4efc-acbe-c7097a467444.png

6d4a1dbc-e232-485a-bf8b-f6e3c1c47baa.png

Edited by stevewinn
Add Video

17 hours ago, skookum said:

Hence why they have sea trials without a full deck of aircraft.

a few weeks ago we took delivery of the 14th F35B.

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-latest-activity/news/2017/december/18/171218-uk-takes-delivery-of-final-f-35b-lightning-of-this-year

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevewinn said:

To go with my post above. F35B. replacing the old.

1 hour ago, stevewinn said:

To go with my post above. F35B. replacing the old.

Remember arm chair Admirals still think we should still use the Harrier as it is British.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...