Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Paypal founder funds mammoth resurrection

UM-Bot

I want to see mammoths tramping across the arctic.

• Like 4

While I applaud the scientific effort, current relatives, the elephants, are dwindling at some 7 to 8 percent per year due to environment loss and poaching. Other species, such as cheetah, are endangered. Why not advocate and monetarily support that which we have rather than trying to resurrect them in the future.

• Like 2

He invests money in weird causes like resurrection and extension of human life. Preventing endangered species is not going to be on his radar. It's more making scifi a reality or strange libertarian social experiments that excite him.

Edited by travelnjones

Resurrection of an ancient species for what purpose? Will they be allowed to roam the wilds of Canada, Alaska and Siberia... or for Zoo's? That's what I wanna know.

• Like 2

Umm... if I'm reading the article correctly, then this is somewhat of a fraud.

They are splicing elephant genes with additional genes associated with "mammoth-like characteristics." (e.g. long hair etc). 

They are creating a new creature, not reviving the mammoth. It won't have any mammoth DNA !