Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery of the 5,000-year-old giants

seeder

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 6:24 PM, kmt_sesh said:

But isn't this one of your family gatherings?

Choctaw_Group_cropped_web_original.jpg

Who are these people? It's hard to tell from their dress and appearance. They could anything from Sami to Mandans.

Edited by Hammerclaw

39 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Who are these people? It's hard to tell from their dress and appearance. They could anything from Sami to Mandans.

Hanslune mentioned he's part Choctaw, so all I did was use Google images to look at Choctaw folks. Can I guarantee you they're Choctaw? No. So many Native Americans dress that way nowadays.

10 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

Hanslune mentioned he's part Choctaw, so all I did was use Google images to look at Choctaw folks. Can I guarantee you they're Choctaw? No. So many Native Americans dress that way nowadays.

Yeah, but except for the material and standardized decorations Choctaws dressed as colorfully, weaving cloth on back-strap looms and skillfully dying them with material from sometimes as far as central Mexico. My Eastern Band Cherokee kin still display such attire, replete with colorful turbans and were mistaken by early Spanish explorers for Moors. The Eastern Nations removed to The Oklahoma Territory tend to sport a more Plains Indian style. At the Native American gatherings in my home town, however, they tend to be attired in an eclectic assortment of just about anything.

Edited by Hammerclaw

51 minutes ago, back to earth said:

Smile down on them , you mean ?   :D  

A tall guy once asked me, a short guy: "How's the air down there?" This was not really a pleasant man, so every fiber in my being was trying to get me to reply: "Not so polluted as the air up there."

But I didn't.

Just now, kmt_sesh said:

A tall guy once asked me, a short guy: "How's the air down there?" This was not really a pleasant man, so every fiber in my being was trying to get me to reply: "Not so polluted as the air up there."

But I didn't.

Good move. He might have broken wind in retaliation.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Yeah, but except for the material and standardized decorations Choctaws dressed as colorfully, weaving cloth on back-strap looms and skillfully dying them with material from sometimes as far as central Mexico. My Eastern Band Cherokee kin still display such attire, replete with colorful turbans and were mistaken by early Spanish explorers for Moors. The Eastern Nations removed to The Oklahoma Territory tend to sport a more Plains Indian style. At the Native American gatherings in my home town, however, they tend to be attired in an eclectic assortment of just about anything.

That's my own experience from the powwows I attended in Minnesota and North Dakota. They're every-day social attire was practically indistinguishable. They're dancing regalia, on the other hand, usually made it easy for me to tell Ojibwa from Dakota/Lakota.

2 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Good move. He might have broken wind in retaliation.

LOL You can't know the guy I'm talking about, but the very thought of that terrifies me.

1 minute ago, kmt_sesh said:

LOL You can't know the guy I'm talking about, but the very thought of that terrifies me.

I bet he could have cleared the room. *lol*

32 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

That's my own experience from the powwows I attended in Minnesota and North Dakota. They're every-day social attire was practically indistinguishable. They're dancing regalia, on the other hand, usually made it easy for me to tell Ojibwa from Dakota/Lakota.

Yeah, the assimilated staking a wistful claim to lost ethnicity. Much like a Highlander gathering, here in East Tennessee, where you'll see more kilts in one go than in all of Scotland. The Ironic thing is--they're mostly Scotch-Irish whose Lowland Scots ancestors rode horses and wore pants, like the English.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 2

On 08/07/2017 at 0:11 AM, Jarocal said:

Hey one needs an impressive... height to impress a dike.

the English have a thing about...in your spelling... the word dikes  :lol: We say Dykes, with a 'Y'    look it up. personally I havent a clue whats funny

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

On July 8, 2017 at 4:10 PM, Tatetopa said:

I could never do it either.  I am only 6'5"  so I didn't get it as often.  It seemed to me that older women became motherly or grandmotherly, sweetly parental.  Men  can be somewhat aggressive  with their questions though. Have you found that?

Some men can be somewhat aggressive especially if they have a few drinks. I've had a few problems with that over the years. But it's the kids I kinda get a kick out of, I tell them to eat their vegetables. Even though I'm not much on vegetables.