Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Photo may prove what became of Amelia Earhart

Ozfactor

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/wtf/old-us-naval-intelligence-photo-said-to-show-amelia-earhart-her-copilot-and-the-wreck-of-her-aircraft/news-story/eff9055c9789eb35c3a0e210ea9ac57e

IT’s a faded black-and-white photo of a Western woman sitting on a dock in the Japanese-occupied Marshall Islands. Some say it’s Amelia Earhart.

As such, it supports longstanding Jaluit Island witness accounts asserting Earhart’s plane was seen to crash before the pair were taken away by the Japanese. This story was even recorded in a series of 1980s stamps.

605d090da9df2cf7aec768a5bdf05cc7.jpg

• Like 9

I believe she were Imprisoned by the Japanese and feel she was spying on the Japanese for her friend President Franklin Roosevelt . So this photo maybe possibly her, from all I have read I never felt her plane crashed and died a castaway . I plan on watching the special on The History channel July 9th , it should bring forth updated information about her disappearance as well as her capture .  

• Like 3

That's intriguing, if not compelling.  It definitely makes me go "Hmmmm...." 

• Like 8

I have always wondered how she and her navigator became one of the great mysteries. There being no evidence of the plane crash or her and her navigator's remains found. I do find the photo interesting. And I'm hoping I will be able to catch the program myself. I hope they can present more of this. 

But, I wonder, would she spy for the president? I guess, I don't know her well enough, ( and probably should research more about her maybe ) to assume she would. I have a funny feeling in assuming she would. *shrugs* 

• Like 4

Well, it makes a good story, but that pictures proves it was Emelia as much as a stump in a woodland photo proves Bigfoot. Which is to say... almost not at all.

9 hours ago, Ozfactor said:

605d090da9df2cf7aec768a5bdf05cc7.jpg

How do we know this is the Marshall Islands? Or even when it supposedly was taken? Without knowing that, we can't say who that is.

• Like 8

I'm a little disappointed.   When I heard of this photo, I was expecting a little more.  This adds to the mystery, but solves nothing.  

I'm still hoping they find her bones that they are searching for.  

• Like 3

So they are saying that the guy on the left is Fred Noonan.  Does anyone know if he was wearing white slacks for this trip around the globe?

They seem to be seeing allot in this photo.    They claim that, not only is it her, but that she looks relieved that she survived.  

Frankly, I'm not sure how they can tell that it is a female in the photo.  

I'm still looking for a close up of what they claim is the plane on a barge to the right on the photo. 

http://time.com/4845237/amelia-earhart-photo/

Edited by Myles
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, DieChecker said:

Well, it makes a good story, but that pictures proves it was Emelia as much as a stump in a woodland photo proves Bigfoot. Which is to say... almost not at all.

How do we know this is the Marshall Islands? Or even when it supposedly was taken? Without knowing that, we can't say who that is.

True! I would give you that. In fact, didn't the article say, (or was it an article I previously read, because I happened by this newsbit earlier in the day.) that the photo was misfiled? I believe the photo listed something on it, but does it even say who the photographer was? 

Granted, from what I have read up on this, they are  making the educated assumption of them being the only caucasians in the photo and that the back of the individua, who looks like a woman, has the short hairstyle and shoulders of who they believe was on Earheart. 

3 hours ago, Myles said:

I'm a little disappointed.   When I heard of this photo, I was expecting a little more.  This adds to the mystery, but solves nothing.  

I'm still hoping they find her bones that they are searching for.  

Yeah, me too. (I know Josh Gates failed to do that on his show's episode of her.) But, I think this is suppose to be a little bait to get people to watch the program that they were talking about. *shrugs* 

And if this says more about this bit, I would think they would find her's and her navigator's remains. Unless, they were cremated or something. 

• Like 3

I still think there is more evidence for the plane landing on gradner island.

With old b&w photo like this there's no knowing if the person in the background is even a caucasian let alone female.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Cynical Sounds said:

I still think there is more evidence for the plane landing on gradner island.

With old b&w photo like this there's no knowing if the person in the background is even a caucasian let alone female.  

My bet would also be on Gardner Island.  

I also don't think anything monumental is going to be revealed on the History Channels show.     They no longer air anything significant. 

Edited by Myles
  • Like 2

If this photo is indeed genuine, this may give more credence to the claims of  Josephine Akiyama who stated she saw Earhart being captured by the Japanese on the island of Saipan, she later reported she saw them be executed by firing squad. Not saying this is fact but it does open up the possibility. 

• Like 4

EXCLUSIVE: Photo 'showing Amelia Earhart boarding a ship on a Pacific island after crash landing' is NOT the aviator because it was taken at least three years after she disappeared, investigators say

An investigation in National Archives revealed the photo was taken after 1940
    It was taken at least three years after US aviator Amelia Earhart disappeared
    The picture is the focus of a sensational TV documentary in the United States
    The documentary claims the photo is of Earhart and others taken in the 1930s

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4670468/Photo-showing-Amelia-Earhart-NOT-aviator.html#ixzz4m65pA2BI

• Like 3

No matter how her life ended, she will always be remembered for her spirit of adventure and her courage and skill.  If my choice was to imagine that she died as a castaway or was executed by the Japanese, I'd ask for a third choice :( 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Scholar4Truth said:

"Josephine Akiyama who stated she saw Earhart being captured by the Japanese on the island of Saipan, she later reported she saw them be executed by firing squad. Not saying this is fact but it does open up the possibility."

Which I always took to be a pile of nonsense not least because of the fact that they had been conquered by the Japanese. The claims that she saw the actual plane go down and (rather conveniently) the 'execution' which had occurred on another day, seems very unlikely. If someone says something along the lines of "my home was taken by the Japanese, and I snuck back in one day to get some fresh water and was almost executed, and my fellow students and I became slave workers for the military government and we were abused..." they're not going to paint a pretty picture about them are they? It was anti-Japanese propaganda.

Edited by Lobotomy
  • Like 1

Yes, it's true. That's her and her trusty navigator.
They usually wait 75 years before telling us the truth.
She was paid $15,000 by US Army Intelligence.
Recon the Marshall Islands for us.

32 minutes ago, seanjo said:

LOL...they got lost ran out of fuel and ditched...that is not Earhart...nor is it any addition to the tale.

I actually think that is what happened.   I don't think this photo shows much though.    

• Like 1

Sadly, this doesn't 'prove' anything except that some people have very good imaginations.  Here's the whole original photo:

photograph-courtesy-of-les-kinney_u.s.-national-archives_smaller-c8850973409dfe1a200edac8785c96ee1e120318-s800-c85.jpg

I have a different interpretation.  Look at the robed figure off-centre.  It's Jesus!  He's talking to fishermen, recruiting a new squad of disciples to defend the civilised world during the forthcoming WW2 (and defend the Vatican from charges of collusion with the Nazis).  It's funny - I'd always imagined Him as taller...

• Like 2

I think it is a stretch to be honest, one similar looking white woman on a remote island roughly in the area her Electra came down is somewhat ambiguous. HOWEVER, equally it is interesting and because of the time frame and geographical region it could quite easily be her. Just a tantalizing theory that unfortunately may never be proven, all adds fuel to the fire of controversy and stories surrounding her mysterious disappearance.

• Like 2

It seems to me someone as courageous as Earhart would've fought for any way possible to be rescued and try again, so I doubt she went off the grid.  

Also, someone as notable as she would make a plum captive to taunt the U.S. had she been captured by the Japanese. To rescue and execute her without any fanfare seems equally unlikely.

Amazing woman, but I would be much more interested in hearing about a successful discovery of where her plane crashed, and maybe some forensics as to why it did.

• Like 1

If she is still alive that would be great!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, seanjo said:

It could be anyone FFS...Women DID travel back then you know...

No one has came up and claimed it was them or a relative, it would be good to know the story of this photo

• Like 1

If the Japanese had her and even slightly suspected her of being a spy, her remaining very few days would have felt like a ifetime of pain and ended with a noose. 

I watched the History Channel show last night.    Pretty interesting.   They made a good case.

However, they did not present any counter arguments at all.   I wasn't impressed with the experts they used.   They would claim that they worked many cases for the FBI and other agencies.   But the "expert" they used for checking the photo, said that they could tell it was a female because no man had hair that long in those times.   That was it.   I still think it could have been an Asian man.  They made lots of assumptions.  

• Like 2

From watching the History Channel last night I'm pretty much convinced that was her in the photo. Too many eyewitnesses seen her saying she was captured .