Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Whisky-fuelled car makes first journey

Still Waters

The world's first car running on a biofuel made from whisky residue has had its first successful test drive.

The fuel, called biobutanol, is designed as a direct replacement for petrol and diesel and does not need the car to have its engine modified.

It is made from kernels of barley called draff, and pot ale - a yeasty liquid left over from fermentation.

BBC Scotland reporter Lisa Summers was behind the wheel for the car's first-ever journey using the whisky biofuel.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-40523546

• Like 5

Well, that's gonna give the Traffic Courts a big headache as well as a whole new definition to driving under the influence ...

~

• Like 3

It doesn't seem to say whether the stuff has any alcohol content, I presume it doesn't, but of course alcohol has long been used as a fuel for things like dragsters and record-breakers - and of course there's already ethanol. This, though, seems a commendable example of recycling. People go on so much about the wonders of electric cars, thanks probably in no small part to that tiresome evangelist Elon Musk, that they tend to forget there's so much research going on into alternative fuels for proper internal combustion engines, and all-battery electric propulsion will never be a realistic proposition for remote areas. 

• Like 1

the new fuel could prove to be both clean and cost effective

the trade off is, we will have to drink more whisky :D

Edited by kobolds
  • Like 1

but why ..it is more expensive than gas

• Like 1

Not the stuff they're talking about here, which is a waste product of the production process. 

• Like 1

"Is that whisky I am smelling comin' from ya sonny ?"

"Its ain't me Mister Policeman ... I swear its ma' vehicle ... I gots to pour a gallon in it just to get me home ... "

"That's a waste of good fine whisky if ya asks me ... "

~ :lol:

Edited by third_eye
hehehhe
  • Like 1