Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

70 years on, Roswell continues to intrigue

Does anyone really believe that Weather Balloon story, when half of the entire armed forces turned up to recover it?  (Ok, slight exaggeration :lol:)

I smell a rat!  A big grey inter-galactic bug-eyed rat. :yes:

• Like 3

I think it's been so long now that we will never know for sure what really crashed in Roswell 70 years ago. This one will forever remain a mystery IMO.

• Like 1

Still intriguing. After all this Time.

• Like 2

This would be the easiest mystery on earth  to resolve.  All we need is to see the records, films, photos, debris. 

• Like 1

The thing is, there must have been an awful lot of people involved in any (mysterious) cover up that had to keep quiet for an awful long time.

Then again, when anyone did/does actually come forward with any revelations regarding aliens etc, they're usually ridiculed. 

I'd love to think it was some sort of alien craft, but alas, I highly doubt it.

The story is intriguing to me. But the truth of it? I will never claim to know. ^_^

• Like 2

4 hours ago, acute said:

Does anyone really believe that Weather Balloon story, when half of the entire armed forces turned up to recover it?  (Ok, slight exaggeration :lol:)

I smell a rat!  A big grey inter-galactic bug-eyed rat. :yes:

I thought it was well known that it was a cover up. It was a nuclear test monitoring experiment, not a weather balloon.

• Like 4

Massive blunder whichever way you look at it.

First possibility is that it was a balloon of some kind and the Army Air Force couldn't identify it and released to the press Flying Disc story only to embarrassingly back track.

Second possibility is it was a UFO and the Army Air Force blundered by releasing it to the press.  If it was a UFO they have done a pretty good job of putting enough doubt stories out there.  

Lets be honest can anyone really say it wasn't a balloon and be 100% sure they are right?

Edited by skookum
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, Emma_Acid said:

I thought it was well known that it was a cover up. It was a nuclear test monitoring experiment, not a weather balloon.

Nah thats alot less likely than aliens crashing their spacecraft. 

Imagine travelling the enormous distances between the stars, just to end up crashing in a deserted part of New Mexico . That have got to be annoying. 

• Like 3

Do not forget the cold war implications. The air force, navy were all involved with high altitude balloon experiments from the mid 1940s onward. Some of these were classified or certainly not well publicized. Do some research and one will find a number of technical papers on high altitude balloon experiments dating from that era.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Emma_Acid said:

It was a nuclear test monitoring experiment, not a weather balloon.

Prove it, you will change the world ;)

• Like 1

I'm in my 70's and it's always been the number one item for me. I retired from Federal Service after 30+ years and I know the Fed's can screw things up. Sometimes they even screw up the screw-up even more.  I suspect it will always be a mystery. It was good for the locals though! I was telling a friend that I have watched the sky all my life, even became an amateur astronomer and photographer but I've seen NOTHING I can't explain as "normal". LOL

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, UFOwatcher said:

I'm in my 70's and it's always been the number one item for me. I retired from Federal Service after 30+ years and I know the Fed's can screw things up. Sometimes they even screw up the screw-up even more.  I suspect it will always be a mystery. It was good for the locals though! I was telling a friend that I have watched the sky all my life, even became an amateur astronomer and photographer but I've seen NOTHING I can't explain as "normal". LOL

That's a long time.  What's the most interesting thing you saw?

The most intriguing thing about the Roswell Incident, for me, is the invention of the transistor five months later.  Innovation had been pretty static since the industrial revolution and has been at a rapid pace ever since.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Big Jim said:

The most intriguing thing about the Roswell Incident, for me, is the invention of the transistor five months later.  Innovation had been pretty static since the industrial revolution and has been at a rapid pace ever since.

No, innovation had certainly not been static. Especially during WWII innovation was moving at a breathtaking pace. 

1 hour ago, Big Jim said:

You are right, nothing happened between the start of the industrial revolution and 1947, except a few things like planes, cars, trains, submarines, steam power, internal combustion engines, electric engines, gas turbines/jet engines, nuclear power, solar power, nuclear weapons, electronics, modern medical science, theory of relativity, theory of natural selction, quantuum theory, Big Bang theory.................. well I guess you get the picture by now. 

Why is it that people allways have to belittle human achievements by attributing them to aliens ? We see it all the time in the history section too.

Edited by Noteverythingisaconspiracy
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Noteverythingisaconspiracy said:

You are right, nothing happened between the start of the industrial revolution and 1947, except a few things like planes, cars, trains, submarines, steam power, internal combustion engines, electric engines, gas turbines/jet engines, nuclear power, solar power, nuclear weapons, electronics, modern medical science, theory of relativity, theory of natural selction, quantuum theory, Big Bang theory.................. well I guess you get the picture by now. 

Why is it that people allways have to belittle human achievements by attributing them to aliens ? We see it all the time in the history section too.

:D  I was going to respond to him but after reading this, why bother.  Well done.  :tu:

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, taniwha said:

Prove it, you will change the world ;)

1. No it won't

2. That's not how the burden of proof works

14 hours ago, Big Jim said:

The most intrig) uing thing about the Roswell Incident, for me, is the invention of the transistor five months later.  Innovation had been pretty static since the industrial revolution and has been at a rapid pace ever since.well 

Actually on the surface it looks like there was a sudden spree of innovation during that time period (nothing related to aliens) but if you search there is a patent for idea of a transistor from long before that and if I have read correctly well before Roswell Incident there was a spree of discoveries in physics fields . 

15 hours ago, Big Jim said:

The most intrig) uing thing about the Roswell Incident, for me, is the invention of the transistor five months later.  Innovation had been pretty static since the industrial revolution and has been at a rapid pace ever since.well 

Actually on the surface it looks like there was a sudden spree of innovation during that time period (nothing related to aliens) but if you search there is a patent for idea of a transistor from long before that and if I have read correctly well before Roswell Incident there was a spree of discoveries in physics fields . 

11 minutes ago, kartikg said:

You are indeed correct. A little something called the nuclear bomb was invevted 2 years before Roswell and used the advances in nuclear physics gained in the decades before World War 2.

Most of the major innovations and scientific theories were in place before the Roswell incident. I believe the idea behind the transistor was patented in the 20's, but the technology to make a working transistor didn't exist until after the massive leaps forwards in electronics that happened during World War 2. We often hear about the German Wunderwaffen of WW2, but it was actually the development of electronics by the allies, particularly the British, that was to have the biggest impact on the World as we know it. 

6 hours ago, kartikg said:

Indeed. Like the shape memory-alloy that were portrayed by some as the result of the alleged Roswell crash (had a long discussion on that subject here some 8 years ago). The initial steps towards that were actually taken in 1932 and were pretty advanced in 1938.

Cheers,
Badeskov 

• Like 1

This is 2017 70 years later and I've never seen a metal like what was described back then. I don't believe aliens have ever come here i also don't believe that they would use a metal for a balloon especially a top secret metal that could end up on the front door step of the Kremlin or in the back yard of some dictator some where that did not take place 1947 or even 2017. If anyone thinks Roswell is a true story and you really want answers just follow the money they had to pay somebody something to do or say what they wanted like maybe the news reporters who were invited to the news conference about the little balloon.