Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pompeii House of the Ephebe

Duke Wellington

.....  just you wait ....  he will be here in a minute  .... 

jaylemurph

• Like 2

10 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

I was about to take offense. I read it wrong and thought you had written "under-cooked rice." What am I, a savage? But you wrote lice. Well, it's true, I prefer them under-cooked, preferably plucked right off carpophagous critters.

This only proves the depth of your savagery and perfidy!

I rather like them with poached with a touch of sweet chili sauce.

I`m not convinced at it being a pine cone because the picture shows the leaves coming out of the top end.

1 hour ago, RabidMongoose said:

I`m not convinced at it being a pine cone because the picture shows the leaves coming out of the top end.

There is that indeed, especially since coniferous nuts don't have that kind of sproutings at the end. Although it could be some green stuff to decorate the plate, there are branches at the other end of the plate... 

Let's bring back the picture.

0_Mosaico_pavimentale_%E2%80%93_Grotte_C

Umbrella pine nuts in their natural surrounding:

zzlX2YRj8tWZKmYsjYl_ixH6i74.jpg

Although artichoke have some sprouting ends:

calendrier-de-plantation-de-legumes-13-p

Or it could be something that changed a lot since 2 millennia ago or fell out of favor...

Edit: Anyway it should be some kind of plant, the picture separate them neatly, plants, fishes and birds.

Edited by Gingitsune
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gingitsune said:

...it could be some green stuff to decorate the plate, there are branches at the other end of the plate... 

I hadn't considered that. It could just be our eyes and modern minds filling in the picture. If you look closely, the vegetation poking out the end doesn't match up too well with the bulbous part. I used Photoshop to sample the color range between the bulbous part and the vegetation (the colors of the individual mosaics) and the color range is similar but different.

But then again, that might just be the nature of the mosaic.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

If you look closely, the vegetation poking out the end doesn't match up too well with the bulbous part. I used Photoshop to sample the color range between the bulbous part and the vegetation (the colors of the individual mosaics) and the color range is similar but different.

The sprouting is definitely greener and darker. Compare to the grape, even it it was jumbo grape, the mysterious plant can't be too big and pineapples are definitely too big. What is the rest of the fruits?

Edited by Gingitsune
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gingitsune said:

The sprouting is definitely greener and darker. Compare to the grape, even it it was jumbo grape, the mysterious plant can't be too big and pineapples are definitely too big. What is the rest of the fruits?

I see figs, grapes, and pomegranates. There's something golden in the middle that might be oranges, apples or maybe persimmons.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, back to earth said:

< wafts the smell upwards > 

Image result for baked ham leg

I love ham. Can't stand pineapple...so that's a wicked thing to do to a lovely ham.

As tasty as it looks, back to earth, the upper part of the mosaic is about fruits. Ham unfortunately don't fit. ;)

1 hour ago, jaylemurph said:

I see figs, grapes, and pomegranates. There's something golden in the middle that might be oranges, apples or maybe persimmons.

--Jaylemurph

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « figue »Résultats de recherche d'images pour « grape »Résultats de recherche d'images pour « pomegranate »

0_Mosaico_pavimentale_%E2%80%93_Grotte_C

The candidate so far are pineapple, artichokes, pine nut, we could even add bread:

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « pineapple »Résultats de recherche d'images pour « artichoke »Résultats de recherche d'images pour « pinenuts »Résultats de recherche d'images pour « pain croute coupé »

Edited by Gingitsune
Tyring to put images that works. -__-

20 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

Great site for accurate info !  

I especially liked the story next to it ;

Iraqi Transport Minister Announces That Sumerians Launched Spaceships 7,000 Years Ago

or this one 

:) 
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Gingitsune said:

As tasty as it looks, back to earth, the upper part of the mosaic is about fruits. Ham unfortunately don't fit. ;)

neither does bread then .

....   hmmm ... now I want a ham sandwich .  

• Like 1

113741_640x428.jpg

Bruschetta and ham, straight from the UM Cafe.

That will be $9.99 US, please.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

113741_640x428.jpg

You got anything to wash that down with.:D

jmccr8

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jmccr8 said:

jmccr8

Um,,, ancient beer? Perhaps a long lost crate of spirits hauled from the icy depths of a shipwreck? Wine might be a good choice. Probably not water, it might kill ya.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

jmccr8

5 minutes ago, rashore said:

Um,,, ancient beer? Perhaps a long lost crate of spirits hauled from the icy depths of a shipwreck? Wine might be a good choice. Probably not water, it might kill ya.

A traditional ancient Egyptian embalmers' cocktail:

gross.jpg?w=385

Put together with exotic ingredients scraped up around the embalmers' tent.

• Like 3

I thought the red ones might be pomegranates.  An artichoke would have had a single stem, not a lot of leaf type things sticking out. What does everyone think the object behind the pine cone thing is? It doesn't really look similar. 

1 hour ago, rashore said:

Probably not water, it might kill ya.

The PTB hide from us the fact that 100% of the people who drink water die!!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kmt_sesh said:

113741_640x428.jpg

<   flashes cabal ring  ... takes sandwich without paying >    :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

jmccr8

Image result for stonecutters

• Like 1

3 hours ago, susieice said:

I thought the red ones might be pomegranates.  An artichoke would have had a single stem, not a lot of leaf type things sticking out. What does everyone think the object behind the pine cone thing is? It doesn't really look similar. 

That  is the pinecone  . 

We got native pine nuts here ;

Image result for bunya nuts

roast near coals until the pop .... yum ! 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, back to earth said:

That  is the pinecone  . 

We got native pine nuts here ;

roast near coals until the pop .... yum ! 

So there's 2 of them there.

• Like 1

Well, if you look at the mosaic, one has a tuft, the one behind it does not.

On 7/9/2017 at 10:09 PM, susieice said:

I had to look up cardoon too. Artichoke hearts are good and used in a lot of Italian dishes. 

Add me to the list of people looking up cardoon.  Maybe we can start a Google trend?

Looking at the overall design of the object, I'm going with "stone pine" (aka Umbrella Pine) - if you take a look at the terminal vegetation on the top of the item, it clearly shows some fringe-like leaves.  This is characteristic of pine cones...but not of any other fruit.

• Like 1