Unexplained Mysteries uses cookies. By using the site you consent to our use of cookies as per our Cookie Policy.
Close X
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
UM-Bot

Researchers invent battery-free mobile phone

6 posts in this topic

Parsec

So in case of riots or protests it would be way easier fir governments to shut down communications. 

Sorry, cynical mode off. 

That's actually an interesting technology and quite a logical step, following the "cloud" era. Keep a device with you as "light" as it can be and delegate the heavy processes to the network. 

• Like 4

glorybebe

As I work in the mobility industry, thus really excited me.  So many people are scared their phones could burst into flames.  This technology could blow the lid off the cell phone production BUT, I could see battery producers fighting it

Myster0n

This might be the fight that sees battery tech firm actually coming up with a better solution then 'fast charging' = the fear of loosing business altogether!

• Like 1

Chortle

The limitation of a base station less than 50ft away makes this sound more like a battry-free cordless landline than a mobile phone.

Edited by Chortle
missed a word!
  • Like 1

paperdyer

And the race has started.  Let's see who funds this technology first, Apple or Google?  Maybe the technology will advance far enough that batteries will go the way of the dinosaurs and the Edsel. Wouldn't it nice to never have to replace a car battery.  The flashlight in the car would always work. No need for the electric company.  OOPS!  I'm sure now it will never work, by hook or by crook. :rolleyes:

• Like 1