Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Ladies and Gentlemen" changed on trains

seeder

Good morning/evening/afternoon customers?

Dear me it's been happening under our noses and we never even realised, until someone told us to be offended.

Like when the Australian anthem changed from Australian sons let us rejoice to Australian's all let us rejoice....

When will the madness end.....and by end I mean bother me. When will it actually bother me? Probably never.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, LV-426 said:

Ironically, I think this is one of the new gender identities... :unsure2:

Thank you for a good laugh. Truly. :D

Back to the topic, who knows, one day it might have also ended, "...and God bless!"

And after that was remedied, someone would have said, "There we have those god damned (yes) atheists changing things around again, forcing change down our throats."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kismit said:

Godd morning/evening/afternoon customer?

Dear me it's been happening under our noses and we never even realised, until someone told us to be offended.

Like when the Australian anthem changed from Australian sons let us rejoice to Australian's all let us rejoice....

When will the madnesd end.....and by end I mean bother me. When will it actually bother me? Probably never.

They changed Waltzing Matilda!?

Just now, Likely Guy said:

They changed Waltzing Matilda!?

Geezus LG. You can't go reffering to it as Matilda. What's wrong with you?

It's the sheep formally known as Matilda. Can't even say ewed come a waltzing anymore. Matilda might have wanted to be born a ram.

• Like 2

Matilda = sheep.

Sheila = female of the human variety

I'm gradually catching on to your Antipodean phrases and idioms. :blush:

• Like 1

I prefer the new greeting.  Simpler.

Why such anger?

(And that typing is all I can be bothered with..)

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Setton said:

Nope, also gender neutral to consider. Your point about chromosomes relates to biological sex which is not the same as gender. 

A quick question to everyone so against this change:

What harm do you think will come about from greeting people on the train with 'hello everyone'? 

If one did consider it worth getting incandescent with anger about, you might suggest that it's exactly the kind of silly gimmick that the Mayor of London (whether it's Mayor Sadiq, Boris or Chairman Ken) has always enjoyed indulging, when there are perhaps many more pressing things that they could perhaps concern themselves with. Do you think it's going to make commuters (a large proportion of whom of course are cisgender or genderqueer) feel happier to think that Transport for London cares that much more about them when they begin announcements announcing severe delays on the Bakerloo Line or the helpful advice that any unattended luggage may be removed without warning and destroyed or damaged by the secret services if it's prefixed with a cheery "Hi there folks!"? I rather suspect it would have just the opposite effect. 

8 hours ago, Setton said:

Then I'm sure an intellect such as yourself will have no problem producing scientifically rigorous academic studies to support your point. 

I ask again, what harm do you imagine coming out of saying 'hello everyone'? 

Can you produce, off the top of your head, academically rigorous research that's proved beyond doubt that there are in fact more than two genders?

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Setton said:

They all have different meanings.

Again, do you have a list of all these different meanings to hand? 

5 hours ago, Likely Guy said:

Or an enthusiastic, "GOOOOooooood Morning, LONDON!!!"

That would without doubt lead to an increase in gun crime. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Can you produce, off the top of your head, academically rigorous research that's proved beyond doubt that there are in fact more than two genders?

1. Burden of proof. 

2. Not off the top of my head but with a fairly quick search I could produce academic studies to support that position. I didn't ask for proof beyond doubt, I asked for support. 

1 hour ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Again, do you have a list of all these different meanings to hand? 

Transgender - a person who feels their biological sex and gender do not match

Transsexual - a person undergoing the physical process of changing their biological sex. 

Transvestite - a person who wears clothes typically associated with the opposite sex. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Balefries said:

Wew. A person born with a P is a male. A person born with a V is a female. The only exception would be a hermaphrodite.

Yes. *clap clap clap*

All that means is the former's biological sex is male, the latter's biological sex is female. 

That is not their gender. 

• Like 3

At least i don't suppose it would cost much (although knowing what big bureaucracies are like, I'm sure they'd still manage to make it cost a few hundred thousand), so if it makes you satisfied that it sovles a rpoblem no one else knew even existed then i suppose it'll be worthwhile.

Transvestite - a person who wears clothes typically associated with the opposite sex. 

Oh come on, like that's a separate gender.

According to the deceptionary, 

the state of being male or female (typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones).
"traditional concepts of gender"

So basically it's a concept that psychologists and all that kind of people have come up with, isn't it? 

watching this on Sky news right now.... with some fella, dressed as a woman, who even looks a bit feminine till he starts talking.... moaning about it....like its the worlds biggest issue

so bizarre.... and...does it really matter?  people who dont identify as a lady or a gentleman are still in the minority

Anyway, what about Wimbledon for heaven's sake? What horrifyingly unreconstructed dinosaurs they are. Men's Singles and Women's Singles? Though to be fair there are Mixed Doubles, but it's nearly always someone who self-identifies as a Man and someone who self-identifies as a Woman. Surely this scandal is something that Mayor Sadiq ought to be addressing himself with. it's not as if he's got anything else on he could be doing, is it. 

can you imagine, instead of Ladies or Gents toilets....

that there will be a whole bank of toilets catering for each individual group?

11 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Oh come on, like that's a separate gender.

That's... kind of the point... 

Most people here (and elsewhere) are conflating gender and other concepts.

For the linguists:

Trans - across 

Gender - psychological experience of male/female 

Sex - physical experience of male/female 

Vest- - relating to clothing 

7 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

According to the deceptionary, 

the state of being male or female (typically used with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones).
"traditional concepts of gender"

So basically it's a concept that psychologists and all that kind of people have come up with, isn't it? 

Every concept is one someone came up with. Gender is a term created by psychologists to explain the phenomena they see before them. 

So should public organisations spend money (they'd undoubtedly find ways to spend money) indulging whatever labels people (and it's funny how keen these people, who insist that they're breaking away from the labels that Society attaches, always are to find a label to attach to themselves) choose to attach to themselves? In any case, regardless of whether they choose to call themselves Cisgender or Genderfluid, they are actually nearly always, unless they genuinely are hermaphrodite, either male or female, so therefore biologically they are either a Lady or a Gentleman. I'd have thought anyway. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

So should public organisations spend money (they'd undoubtedly find ways to spend money) indulging whatever labels people (and it's funny how keen these people, who insist that they're breaking away from the labels that Society attaches, always are to find a label to attach to themselves) choose to attach to themselves? In any case, regardless of whether they choose to call themselves Cisgender or Genderfluid, they are actually nearly always, unless they genuinely are hermaphrodite, either male or female, so therefore biologically they are either a Lady or a Gentleman. I'd have thought anyway. 

Indeed.... imagine going in a department store for shoes..... but theres only 2  departments.... mens wear.... or womens wear..... OMG the panic and outrage that will cause

• Like 3

It's simple.

Just as all canis familiaris are referred to as dog - regardless of sex or gender - and all ovis aries are referred to as sheep - regardless of sex or gender - so all homo sapien sapien are referred to as man (men) - regardless of sex of gender.

Get over it humans.   Stop being speciesist.  You are not different or special!  :P .

6 hours ago, seeder said:

can you imagine, instead of Ladies or Gents toilets....

that there will be a whole bank of toilets catering for each individual group?

actually rather than give toilets ANY gender description.... just make it easy and have signs saying  "Standing"  or "Sitting"

• Like 2

On 14/07/2017 at 4:52 PM, seeder said:

actually rather than give toilets ANY gender description.... just make it easy and have signs saying  "Standing"  or "Sitting"

Pretty sure you were saying this is a joke but seriously, wouldn't that be a good idea? Leaving all the gender stuff aside, it might at least cut the queue for the ladies' :-D

On 14/07/2017 at 5:07 PM, XenoFish said:

- post removed -

I still say you are ignorant. There are only two biological sexes but multiple genders and if you think otherwise you need to get into the 21st century and educate yourself. It's like that whole thing where you can be openly gay now. 

Society will catch up eventually. Hopefully we don't just have to wait for all the ignorant dinosaurs to go extinct. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Setton said:

Pretty sure you were saying this is a joke but seriously, wouldn't that be a good idea? Leaving all the gender stuff aside, it might at least cut the queue for the ladies' :-D

at all the festivals Ive been to there are rarely 'defined' ladies or gents toilets..... just rows of the plastic toilets like these

Portaloos%20WikiCommons%20Editor5807.JPG

5 minutes ago, seeder said:

at all the festivals Ive been to there are rarely 'defined' ladies or gents toilets..... just rows of the plastic toilets like these

Portaloos%20WikiCommons%20Editor5807.JPG

At festivals yeah. I was thinking in general.