Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Ladies and Gentlemen" changed on trains

seeder

There's only one category - and that's human

The rest is just "divide and conquer" tactics ...... ;) 

3 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

yes, to be honest. All this 156 different gender identities stuff.

Where do you get 156 from?

3 minutes ago, Claire. said:

Where do you get 156 from?

That was a randomly selected figure for rhetorical effect, but it's not far off that is it. There was that questionnaire I put up earlier that had about two dozen on it.

5 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

That was a randomly selected figure for rhetorical effect, but it's not far off that is it. There was that questionnaire I put up earlier that had about two dozen on it.

The number is highly exaggerated and misleading. I saw the questionnaire you posted but do not recall its source/purpose. I do know, however, that such questionnaires are often used in medical offices so that physicians are able to help youth and adults facing issues related to sexual orientation and gender identity.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Should everyone's fantasies be indulged like this? What if people decide that they're a being a light that came from a different dimension, should they be indulged for that? 

You mean like this? They forgot merfolk! Seriously though, I think people are being indulged instead of maybe getting the help they may need.

Woman Lives Life as a Mermaid!

For Tessie, she feels more at home in the water than on the land, that's because she is living her life as a mermaid!

"I have a lot of body insecurities...  but when I am in my tail I don't feel insecure anymore because suddenly it doesn't matter what size I am because I'm a mermaid and that's what people really focus on. When I take my tail off, it almost feels like a piece of me has come off," Tessie says, adding, "Putting on a tail is probably one of the greatest feelings in the world. When I put it on, it's like nothing else matters."

Tessie is a member of the growing worldwide merfolk community, which celebrates their desire to be the half human, half fish.

http://www.thedoctorstv.com/articles/3830-woman-lives-life-as-a-mermaid

• Like 2

5 hours ago, skliss said:

You mean like this? They forgot merfolk! Seriously though, I think people are being indulged instead of maybe getting the help they may need.

Woman Lives Life as a Mermaid!

For Tessie, she feels more at home in the water than on the land, that's because she is living her life as a mermaid!

"I have a lot of body insecurities...  but when I am in my tail I don't feel insecure anymore because suddenly it doesn't matter what size I am because I'm a mermaid and that's what people really focus on. When I take my tail off, it almost feels like a piece of me has come off," Tessie says, adding, "Putting on a tail is probably one of the greatest feelings in the world. When I put it on, it's like nothing else matters."

Tessie is a member of the growing worldwide merfolk community, which celebrates their desire to be the half human, half fish.

http://www.thedoctorstv.com/articles/3830-woman-lives-life-as-a-mermaid

I wouldn't believe that if I hadn't heard it from someone I know. One of my in-laws was telling me about her cousin or something in Florida who left his wife because she thought she was a mermaid to which I said yea right sure. She said really she is good looking but kept spending money on mermaid gear and the guy left her when she bought a $3k mermaid tail. I only believed it when she pulled up this woman's Facebook page and there she was. A good looking (batsht crazy) young blonde in a mermaid tail that I was actually impressed by because the quality of this thing was clearly high end and well made. 

If these type of things are what somebody is into then whatever but I cannot blame the guy for leaving her and society should not encourage every single quark as completely normal. Being ok with something is not the same as accepting it as normal. I'm ok with people being one or all of 72 genders if they want but it sure ain't normal and I'm not a hateful bigot for that stance.

edit: Another way to put it is that I don't believe there are 72 genders but if what you want to think is that you are one or more that's fine just like I don't believe in mermaids but if that's what you think you are then that's fine too. There are two genders and no mermaids. Everything else is just a state of mind but that doesn't mean it's real.

Edited by F3SS
  • Like 2

I am not anti-LGBT at all, but.....

Only 0.4% of the population identify themselves as non-binary.

The other 99.6% should be the ones addressed and catered for.

• Like 1

One more post and I am out.

For anyone wondering why changing a greeting is cause for concern, consider gay marriage in America. I have been wanting to follow up on this for a while, as the legalization of gay marriage was heradled as a great victory for the community. You would think same-sex couples were just dying to fill out the paperwork. Turns out, marriage isn't actually a big thing for them.

Gallup 2017

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Two years after the Supreme Court ruled in Obergefell v. Hodges that states could not prohibit same-sex marriages, 10.2% of lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT) adults in the U.S. are married to a same-sex spouse.

So we changed the definition of marriage and trampled on religious freedom for what? For 10% of 3% of Americans? They insist on changing the fabric of society to favor them and then reject our society. They preach one thing but the numbers say differently. I'm fine with leaving society as is, thanks. It wasnt broken.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

And all this stuff about people having 236 different gender identities and being able to choose you own gender and stuff is living in the real, boring, mundane world? I think in the real, boring, mundane world people usually believe there is, and usually seem to be satisfied with, two. 

Are you trying to tell me you have never come across anyone who you might consider different in an odd sort of way while doing something in your normal ordinary day? 

2 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

One more post and I am out.

For anyone wondering why changing a greeting is cause for concern, consider gay marriage in America. I have been wanting to follow up on this for a while, as the legalization of gay marriage was heradled as a great victory for the community. You would think same-sex couples were just dying to fill out the paperwork. Turns out, marriage isn't actually a big thing for them.

Gallup 2017

So we changed the definition of marriage and trampled on religious freedom for what? For 10% of 3% of Americans? They insist on changing the fabric of society to favor them and then reject our society. They preach one thing but the numbers say differently. I'm fine with leaving society as is, thanks. It wasnt broken.

3%? Oh do me a favour. 

7 minutes ago, Kismit said:

Are you trying to tell me you have never come across anyone who you might consider different in an odd sort of way while doing something in your normal ordinary day? 

well probably, but need that mean they have a gender all to theirselves? Theirselves? Themselves? Yes, possibly themselves. 

Edited by Manfred von Dreidecker
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, bee said:

This is all about social engineering - and although this getting rid of the Ladies and Gentlemen announcement
seems like a small petty thing on the face of it - it is part of a wider plan to manipulate and change the roots of society - IMO -

I was listening to BBC Hereford and Worcester in the car when this Ladies and Gentleman thing was being discussed
and they had someone on who was a man but liked to wear a skirt if he felt like it and he considered himself to be
'gender fluid' ---- yes the sexual social engineering will have to be nation-wide not just London..

I expect in the Brave New World that lies ahead in the future we will all be expected to be 'gender fluid' -

Don't know how Big Sibling* will deal with the hormones  though...?...... people will probably have to take compulsory
medication or something will be put in the water :unsure:**

* brothers and sisters will no longer exist in the Gender Fluid Future 

** perhaps they do it already :ph34r:

some here know I have a son in Sweden... now that country has the whole gender neutral thing taught in pre schools... I must say it worried me to discover this... but then again Im the typical weight lifting - punch you on the nose - alpha male type... DO READ EVERYONE!!

'It’s all about democracy': inside gender neutral schools in Sweden
https://www.theguardian.com/teacher-network/2016/feb/02/swedish-schools-gender-alien-concept

Sweden’s gender-neutral preschools produce kids who are more likely to succeed
https://qz.com/1006928/swedens-gender-neutral-preschools-produce-kids-who-are-more-likely-to-succeed/

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

After reading an article, probably 25 years ago, from John Hopkins...the leading researcher at the time and cutting edge on the cusp of the transgender issue....they were the first to innovate and do such surgery....I had a better understanding of what it was all about. BUT at that time they did extensive psychological testing and counselling before they even came close to consenting to do this kind of actual mutilating surgery...it was completely mandatory. What they found was that in 85% or more of their cases an adjustment in hormones was enough for the patient to re-identify with their biological sex. Of rest, most had severe psychological issues and weren't candidates for surgery...there was only a small percent that qualified to have such radical surgery done.. Now nothing is done for the patients mental care. You can have anything you want done without questions ....this is where I think we may be failing people...by saying you are whatever you say you are and not looking at possible counselling needs....which I think accounts for the high suicide rates and depressions. We do nothing for their underlying problems in the interest of being "PC".

Recently John Hopkins announced that after 40 years on the front lines of gender re-assignment surgeries they will no longer be doing them as they feel they are mutilating people without good reason. That makes one think. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

well probably, but need that mean they have a gender all to theirselves? Theirselves? Themselves? Yes, possibly themselves. 

I think I would like to ask the question why they chose the terms Ladies and Gentlemen in the first place?

Not necisarily to Manfred. I'm going to throw that one out to the socisl engineering crowd.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kismit said:

I think I would like to ask the question why they chose the terms Ladies and Gentlemen in the first place?

I guess "attention queen's subjects" was too irritating?

It's just a common courtesy phrase to address crowds or the general public. The only thing to add would've been "boys and girls". I can't imagine their was a list of options when that recording was produced.

Its irritating to me that such a simple thing that bothered statistically nobody has been made out to be yet another example of how traditional society is thoughtless, ignorant and non-inclusive. I'm sure one can find posts I made five years ago that sort of predicted this sort of thing because I've always seen that elements of the PC culture will never be satisfied. Once you think they've covered it all they go and pick the most mundane crap to be upset about. Pretty soon "you" will be offensive. You is too direct, specific, personal. Don't address me as "you". I'm it, this, that or other. Just watch.

• Like 3

The word "Gentleman" from that era refers to a man who does not himself have to work for a living. So "ladies and gentlemen" is a way of flattering your audience by implying that they are of a high social class (most likely higher than most of them actually are).

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/39819/gentlewomen-and-gentlemen

• Like 1

I always remember a time when, working as a bouncer in a bar....it was chucking out time. The lights came up, music went off 10 mins before, and there was seeder yelling "Come on then guys, you dont have to go home but you cant stay here"...only to get a bunch of women get indignant that Id used the term 'guys'

But what always got a laugh was when I yelled... "Ok then Ladies and Genitals...time to drink up please"!

Edited by seeder
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, F3SS said:

I guess "attention queen's subjects" was too irritating?

It's just a common courtesy phrase to address crowds or the general public. The only thing to add would've been "boys and girls". I can't imagine their was a list of options when that recording was produced.

Its irritating to me that such a simple thing that bothered statistically nobody has been made out to be yet another example of how traditional society is thoughtless, ignorant and non-inclusive. I'm sure one can find posts I made five years ago that sort of predicted this sort of thing because I've always seen that elements of the PC culture will never be satisfied. Once you think they've covered it all they go and pick the most mundane crap to be upset about. Pretty soon "you" will be offensive. You is too direct, specific, personal. Don't address me as "you". I'm it, this, that or other. Just watch.

I am beginning to believe that those who claim that society is not inclusive are excluding themselves from society. They make mountains out of mole hills. My personal favorite is micro aggressions. 

• Like 2

You got it Seeder. It was a way of making the people feel important. To make poeople think important people travel on trains.

Now that's, social manipulation.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, bee said:

This is all about social engineering - and although this getting rid of the Ladies and Gentlemen announcement
seems like a small petty thing on the face of it - it is part of a wider plan to manipulate and change the roots of society - IMO -

I was listening to BBC Hereford and Worcester in the car when this Ladies and Gentleman thing was being discussed
and they had someone on who was a man but liked to wear a skirt if he felt like it and he considered himself to be
'gender fluid' ---- yes the sexual social engineering will have to be nation-wide not just London..

I expect in the Brave New World that lies ahead in the future we will all be expected to be 'gender fluid' -

Don't know how Big Sibling* will deal with the hormones  though...?...... people will probably have to take compulsory
medication or something will be put in the water :unsure:**

* brothers and sisters will no longer exist in the Gender Fluid Future 

** perhaps they do it already :ph34r:

Re bolded...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kismit said:

seeder posted about the origins but the modern usage is a general term of respect and politeness -

• Like 2

Just now, bee said:

seeder posted about the origins but the modern usage is a general term of respect and politeness -

And no chance, what so ever, that that respect and politness associated with these terms is being used to make the experience feel more up market? :huh:

Marketing is so often subtle manipulation isn't it.

1 minute ago, Kismit said:

And no chance, what so ever, that that respect and politness associated with these terms is being used to make the experience feel more up market? :huh:

Marketing is so often subtle manipulation isn't it.

in Britain I'd say it was more a general term of respect and politeness than a marketing ploy -

8 hours ago, seeder said:

I always remember a time when, working as a bouncer in a bar....it was chucking out time. The lights came up, music went off 10 mins before, and there was seeder yelling "Come on then guys, you dont have to go home but you cant stay here"...only to get a bunch of women get indignant that Id used the term 'guys'

But what always got a laugh was when I yelled... "Ok then Ladies and Genitals...time to drink up please"!

haha - wonder if you'd get away with that now or if you would have to go on a course or something to correct your thinking - :) 

The term 'guys' has become very uni-sex now I think -  just a friendly pally way to address any group of people -

• Like 1