Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Ladies and Gentlemen" changed on trains

seeder

4 minutes ago, bee said:

haha - wonder if you'd get away with that now or if you would have to go on a course or something to correct your thinking - :) 

The term 'guys' has become very uni-sex now I think -  just a friendly pally way to address any group of people -

Exactly Bee. Ive been told Ive got such a cheeky smile/face that I could get away with saying anything! :lol:

The usual thing you'll hear tho from bouncers is something like "OK folks drink up please" ...and of course the typical  "Ladies and Gents...time to drink up"

Mind you Ive also worked as security in many gay bars/clubs too, and used the term "Ladies and Gents" many times..... never once heard anyone get indignant. Not from the gay men or women, or those men who were dressed as women....whatever you want to call them

Mind you thats all in my past now... over 15 years ago...

• Like 1

after I used the term 'gender fluid' in a post yesterday - I checked that I had used the right term and
discovered that Genderfluidity  has it's own flag -- !

File:Genderfluidity Pride Flag.png

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Genderfluidity_Pride_Flag.png

quote... 

This flag represents the fluctuations and the flexibility of gender in genderfluid people.

The Pink represents femininity.

The White represents the lack of gender.

The Purple represents the combination of masculinity and femininity.

The Black represents all genders, including third genders.

The Blue represents masculinity.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bee said:

after I used the term 'gender fluid' in a post yesterday - I checked that I had used the right term and
discovered that Genderfluidity  has it's own flag -- !

File:Genderfluidity Pride Flag.png

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Genderfluidity_Pride_Flag.png

quote... 

This flag represents the fluctuations and the flexibility of gender in genderfluid people.

The Pink represents femininity.

The White represents the lack of gender.

The Purple represents the combination of masculinity and femininity.

The Black represents all genders, including third genders.

The Blue represents masculinity.

sooner or later then we shall all need flags. I wonder what a "straight person" flag should look like?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, seeder said:

sooner or later then we shall all need flags. I wonder what a "straight person" flag should look like?

Here you go. You need never be confused again.

Mind you, there's only 9 of them. Someone's been left out.

84e64f8c20c903d18dee474cb9d0c2b7.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kismit said:

And no chance, what so ever, that that respect and politness associated with these terms is being used to make the experience feel more up market? :huh:

Marketing is so often subtle manipulation isn't it.

Not really no, it's quite routine and, as most routine things are, no one thinks anything about it, except the kind of people who get indignant about things.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, seeder said:

According to goOgle Images, it consists of various shades of grey..

Image result for heterosexual flag

There's some quite interesting ones here..

• Like 1

Just now, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Shades of Grey reminds me of that classic book that got a lot of people excited.  Not that Ive read it... Im a bit too long in the tooth for those kinds of books

I must admit to rather going for the Drag Pride. It looks rather like the Double Headed Eagle of the Holy Roman Empire.

Image result for double headed eagle flag

5 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

There's some quite interesting ones here..

I've never seen a bear on the Pride marches -- perhaps they wore masks and everyone thought they were extra hairy men..? :geek:

30 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Not really no, it's quite routine and, as most routine things are, no one thinks anything about it, except the kind of people who get indignant about things.

Just as the term Good evening customers, is quite routine. 

I think this whole thing is a non story. I can't see how changing it to Customers  is social engineering. I think the original story is a beat up aimed at garnering clicks based on peoples levels of paranoia and offendedness.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Oh what a lovely flag .... :no:

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, bee said:

I've never seen a bear on the Pride marches -- perhaps they wore masks and everyone thought they were extra hairy men..? :geek:

That's essentially what bear means. The motorcycle/bearded kind of gentleman.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, seeder said:

Mind you thats all in my past now... over 15 years ago..

Before someone told them they need to be upset about it....talk about social manipulation........ 

• Like 2

On ‎15‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 3:27 AM, Michelle said:

And by trying to be inclusive, you have singled people out, that don't want to be the center of attention. People want to blend in and get along. They don't want activists shoving them to the forefront of their cause.

Do you know any gay people at all?

No, it doesn't single people out. That's the whole point of the new greeting. It includes everyone.

On ‎15‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 5:43 AM, F3SS said:

What harm was the old one causing? Seriously, the phrase ladies and gentlemen cannot possibly be offensive and if it is then who are these feeble minded, self absorbed individuals, who's numbers are few amongst 7 billion other people in the world that don't take offense  to such common ideals such as ladies and gentlemen, who feel they need to impose their will onto society? 

The new phrase is whatever but it wasn't needed. Positively unnecessary imo.

Do you count yourself as coming over the headings of 'ladies and gentlemen'? If so, how would you know if it can be offensive?

And even if only 1 person felt excluded by it, and the new one excludes no-one, I ask, yet again, what harm does changing it cause?

• Like 2

"Ladies and Gentlemen" includes everyone.   Regardless of age, sex, gender or species.  It's a generic phrase to use when addressing a mixed audience.   It does not mean you are addressing only those who identify as "ladies" or "gentlemen" :rolleyes:

Therefore, anyone upset/offended by the phrase have only their own ignorance and stupidity to blame.

But that's modern society for you: we is fick so you 'as to be fick too. innit ......

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Setton said:

No, it doesn't single people out. That's the whole point of the new greeting. It includes everyone.

My circle of 35 or 40 gay friends and acquaintances see a whole other side to all of this. The whole gay marriage, unisex bathrooms and all of the other BS being pushed on the general public is causing them more harm than good. Not one that I know wanted to get married. The more it is pushed on people the more harassment they get, like it's even them doing it.

For the most part it's not. It's all of these SJW's that don't get the blowback for it.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Michelle said:

My circle of 35 or 40 gay friends and acquaintances see a whole other side to all of this. The whole gay marriage, unisex bathrooms and all of the other BS being pushed on the general public is causing them more harm than good. Not one that I know wanted to get married. The more it is pushed on people the more harassment they get, like it's even them doing it.

For the most part it's not. It's all of these SJW's that don't get the blowback for it.

I'm not about to get into a juvenile contest over who has more 'gay friends'.

Firstly, pretty sure I'd win. Secondly, no sample of that size can be representative - several of my gay friends wanted to get married and have since done so, including some from the states.

And most importantly, this entire line of thinking is utterly irrelevant. You are discussing sexuality. The thread is about gender. If you have that many 'gay friends', I hope you know the difference.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Setton said:

Firstly, pretty sure I'd win. Secondly, no sample of that size can be representative - several of my gay friends wanted to get married and have since done so, including some from the states.

And most importantly, this entire line of thinking is utterly irrelevant. You are discussing sexuality. The thread is about gender. If you have that many 'gay friends', I hope you know the difference.

This is not a contest. I state that because I get sick and tired of people telling me what the LGBT community wants who don't even know any. I've grown up with them and my nephew is gay. I call them the gay community because that is what they call themselves. If you have an issue with the simplification take it up with them.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Michelle said:

This is not a contest. I state that because I get sick and tired of people telling me what the LGBT community wants who don't even know any. I've grown up with them and my nephew is gay. 

That's nice. And still irrelevant for the reasons above.

I call them the gay community because that is what they call themselves. If you have an issue with the simplification take it up with them.

OK, not what I've heard over here but there you go.

Either way, you can't use the experiences of LGB people to determine what T people want. Just because society lumps them together as LGBT, doesn't mean the concerns and issues are all the same.

3 hours ago, Setton said:

Firstly, pretty sure I'd win.

and theres me thinking you wouldnt get into a juvenile contest   :lol:

Oh the irony in that statement

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, seeder said:

and theres me thinking you wouldnt get into a juvenile contest   :lol:

Oh the irony in that statement

It was deliberate :P

• Like 1

On 16/07/2017 at 11:05 AM, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

That's essentially what bear means. The motorcycle/bearded kind of gentleman.

Back in my biker days, I had a friend called Bear.   A rough, tough, slightly rotund, bearded, hells angel type person.  But a decent guy.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/14/2017 at 7:28 PM, Claire. said:

That's a hoax just like the Clovergender trolls who were promoting pedophilia as a way of ridiculing the LGBT community.

O RLY? I know which board you meant. What's next? Bashing people for having red hair? being left-handed? or double-jointed? or bald headed? I thought the current generation of teenagers are less homophobic or transphobic than previous generations (including mine born in the 1980s). Ignorance is bliss, but I call it stupidity. Remember, don't feed the bigot-trolls.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

* It has come to my notice that the French still preface announcements with "Madames messieurs". I have written an indignant email to M. Macron but so far have received, no reply. I will keep you posted. :angry: