Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery surrounds black 'smoke vortex' UFOs

It's a well known phenomena with a logical and known explanation. *snip*

Edit: For anyone unaware, this phenomena is called a 'smoke vortex' and has been seen many times, also it is pretty easily replicated.

Edit 2: And this article seems to identify the culprit: 

"It is the byproduct of cannon fire at a battle re-enactment at the nearby Yorkshire Wartime Experience."

Edited by Saru
Don't shoot the messenger please.
  • Like 3

When I was younger I would take black powder, pour it in a circle, and light it off. A one foot circle will make a 15 foot wide smoke ring before it starts to break up. Cool effect. And possibly some sightings could be faked this way.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ashyne said:

Explained many times before on this forum.

^ Yes. Google "transformer blows up" and a youtube video is the first match (on mine). I saw a transformer blow once during a lightning storm. Scared the bejeezus outa me but sadly, no smoke ring formed that time. Too windy I guess.

• Like 1

When I was just a kid and knew little about such things, I picked up a paperback called "Stranger than Science" and there was a chapter on UFOs. One particularly interesting one was this perfectly circular ring of black which filled in completely will puffy white clouds over a series of six photographs. It sure made it look like some kind of cloaking device from another world, and what better way to hide in the sky than to look like a cloud? For years I thought this was the best footage of a UFO ever, until I learned it was a giant smoke ring, nothing more. It was strange that the one in the book filled in with cloud, but perhaps the smoke ring was hot and the water vapor condensed inside it as a result. 

Ah man, and all this time I was sure it was cigar smoking giants causing those rings. I mean, isn't that the most logic explanation? :-D

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Myles said:

So now it is an IFO?

You know what, I would like to see more articles on IFOs! I guess they wouldn't get as many hits but they are very interesting  and more people could look into the sky and not cry UFO all the time.

Edited by White Unicorn
  • Like 3

Guest brizink

Its just a smoke ring, where's the Mistery. Could be any number of things, all of them involving explosives. Could be cannon, mortar, a grill and a stupid operator. Rednecks starting bonfires with lots of mixed gasoline. Could be a blown transformer, or even a capacitor in a giant rooftop AC system. The options are limitless

On 7/15/2017 at 9:08 AM, White Unicorn said:

You know what, I would like to see more articles on IFOs! I guess they wouldn't get as many hits but they are very interesting  and more people could look into the sky and not cry UFO all the time.

I would like that too. 

• Like 1