Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

ME supporters of Turkey's failed coup

Unusual Tournament

Middle Eastern supporters of Turkey's failed coup

The July 15 coup attempt in Turkey sent shockwaves throughout the world, including Arab countries. Many Arabs, who have witnessed the reversal of the Arab Spring revolutions, staunchly opposed the coup attempt and showed support for the Turkish people and government. However, certain Arab governments and their operatives were openly supportive of the coup plotters and even offered logistical support to FETO, the armed organisation led by the US-based Turkish national Fethullah Gulen that orchestrated the failed coup.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2017/07/middle-eastern-supporters-turkey-failed-coup-170714110836313.html

bet certain nations in the Middle East were not the only ones silently cheering for the overthrow of Erdogan and his despotic ways. i think America and most of the European nations wanted a change of government, too. 

• Like 1

I suspect that he's there to stay for a long, long time.

• Like 1

The ******* like to think himself as the next ottoman sultan

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jeem said:

The ******* like to think himself as the next ottoman sultan

I hope the U.S. government is on top of the direction he's headed.  We need to quietly remove ALL nuclear warheads from Incirlik, ASAP.  I don't believe he's above holding those weapons or personnel hostage at some point if he feels he can gain an advantage from it.  I think we (U.S.) need to be moving on with plans to relocate the assets there to another base.  The Kurdish part of Northern Iraq would be ideal.  Resupply/logistics would be difficult but there is no better place I can imagine to keep the attention of the Iranians focused on.  As long as a credible force - especially with tactical nukes - is based on their border, they will be restrained from most OVERT insanity.

• Like 2

Oh yeah, the puppet president of a military dictatorship would be so much better! Look at the wonders it's done for Egypt. It's amazing how inconvenient we find democracy in unpleasant results of foreign elections. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, and then said:

I hope the U.S. government is on top of the direction he's headed.  We need to quietly remove ALL nuclear warheads from Incirlik, ASAP.  I don't believe he's above holding those weapons or personnel hostage at some point if he feels he can gain an advantage from it.  I think we (U.S.) need to be moving on with plans to relocate the assets there to another base.  The Kurdish part of Northern Iraq would be ideal.  Resupply/logistics would be difficult but there is no better place I can imagine to keep the attention of the Iranians focused on.  As long as a credible force - especially with tactical nukes - is based on their border, they will be restrained from most OVERT insanity.

If those nukes have not already been removed, THAT is a problem. 

Edrogan is clinically insane, as well as a throw-back to the Ottoman days. He is trying to over-turn everything Kemal Ataturk did for Turkey, he seems more like the 21st Century equivalent of Mussolini.

• Like 2

It was such a botched attempt it's hard to believe the people who engineered that thought it would succeed. It either was 1) a desperate move by a small fraction within the military or 2) A smokescreen by the Turkish government to bolster it's grip on power, wipe out the opposition and establish itself as a dictatorial regime. It would appear quite a few soliders didn't even know they were part of a military coup. The whole thing just seems very convenient for Erdogan now.

Edited by Be.cause
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-7-16 at 1:45 AM, Captain Risky said:

bet certain nations in the Middle East were not the only ones silently cheering for the overthrow of Erdogan and his despotic ways. i think America and most of the European nations wanted a change of government, too. 

I think that attempted coup was orchestrated by Erdogan. I don't doubt that there were many who wanted to overthrow him, but I think he himself encouraged it with double agents as a way to weed out his opposition to more easily consolidate his power. And he was extremely successful. Now he will radicalise the country using Islamic law as a way to control the population, just like the other ME despots.

It's a shame, because Turkey was a country that looked to be of the more progressive in the region. Yet another ME people who have had democracy stolen from them in favour of a brutal dictator. 

• Like 2