Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

T Rex could not have outrun a speedy human

Still Waters

Its name may translate as ‘king of the tyrant lizards’ but Tyrannosaurus Rex could not have outrun a speedy human, scientists have concluded, making a mockery of Jurassic Park.

Although it was previously thought the dinosaur could sprint at around 45mph, German scientists have discovered that the lumbering beast was so massive it would have struggled to accelerate beyond a medium trot.

In fact, researchers calculated that T Rex could only have clocked a running speed of 16.5mph, just one mph faster than the average human, and a 11 mph slower than Usain Bolt, the fastest man on Earth.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/tyrannosaurus-rex-could-not-outrun-152848697.html

• Like 6

I've seen a monitor lizard go from zero to thirty mph (estimate guesswork) in less than half a second ... this makes no sense ...

~

[00.01:40]

~

... but I guess the size of the lizard or the prey is the principle factor here ...

:lol:

~

• Like 4

Big, smelly, noisy creature moving slow, what would they eat? Surely with teeth like that they weren't just scavengers.

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of people can't run anywhere close to 26.554176 km/hr for a very long period of time at all.. or even reach that speed while running. Some humans may be able to (I'd say very, very few... like statistical outliers)... but most would make the T-Rex a small meal.

Edited by Nuclear Wessel
  • Like 1

I've known this for years...in every movie ever made about dinosaurs the hero always makes it to the nearest cave with TR snapping at his heels.

I've always wondered how this creature ever survived if it couldn't catch a mere human for its midday snack.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, poohbear said:

I've known this for years...in every movie ever made about dinosaurs the hero always makes it to the nearest cave with TR snapping at his heels.

I've always wondered how this creature ever survived if it couldn't catch a mere human for its midday snack.

Because Tyrannosaurus didn't feed on "mere humans", it fed on large slow-moving prey like ceratopsians and ankylosaurs. And considering it survived for at least 2 million years I think the species was quite good at what it did.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, seanjo said:

I wouldn't have to outrun a T-Rex, I would just have to outrun my mate...

I had the opportunity to say this in real life two weeks ago. OK, it was a mad cow chasing us not a tyrannosaur but you get the picture. 

• Like 2

better stay clear from those pesky Velociraptors then, just in case they wanna revive'em in the future! ;)

At 16.5 mph it could easily catch most of the people I've seen hanging around the local all you can eat Buffet. 

I guess the comet caught up to them then ...

~

I think anyone that has been in high school track would not scoff at 16.5 mph. Many non athletic people might reach 12 mph but not many would sustain that for more than a few seconds. The preceding has been a reference to my personal (PATHETIC) track experience.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pfon71361 said:

It seems his feet are bigger than his fleet.

A very vicious bad tempered carnivore with all those teeth...but let's face it you'd be bad tempered too if your arms were too short to scratch your bum.

• Like 1

On 2017-7-17 at 8:51 PM, Nuclear Wessel said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of people can't run anywhere close to 26.554176 km/hr for a very long period of time at all.. or even reach that speed while running. Some humans may be able to (I'd say very, very few... like statistical outliers)... but most would make the T-Rex a small meal.

Run..... No....I roll....

All jokes aside,  he doesn't have to be very fast to catch me, and.like most humans we don't reach high speeds...

• Like 1