Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Australian Woman Killed by Minneapolis Police

Farmer77

There are more details coming out Current reports say she was shot through the door. Officer must have had his gun out in his lap. Hewas passenger and shot across the driver to hit. Cops sometimes will hold a gun in the lap while seated if they are rolling up on some hairy situation, but nothing released so far seems to justify that response.

As to the cameras that will depend on department policy. They might leave them off most of the time to turn them on only when the situation appears to warrants it.

Should wait for the facts of course but if I had to guess early it sounds like nervous person + bad trigger discipline (i.e. his finger inside the gun's trigger guard.) I would like to see this guy's hiring, training and personnel records. If it is negligence then I bet you there were red flags of some sort that were ignored.

http://www.wkow.com/story/35900043/australian-woman-killed-in-minneapolis-police-shooting

• Like 4

I read it was a female rookie.

• Like 1

Just now, The Russian Hare said:

As to the cameras that will depend on department policy. They might leave them off most of the time to turn them on only when the situation appears to warrants it.

do you have a link to a policy that says so? cuz if cops decide when to turn the cam on,  it really defeats the purpose of the camera altogether 

Edited by aztek
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Michelle said:

It was this guy, Mohamed Noor :

http://www.kare11.com/news/mpls-police-officer-who-shot-killed-woman-identified/457339023

Noor has two open complaints against him from 2017 and one from 2016. 

<_< And he only been on since 2015. Might be significant.

do you have a link to a policy that says so?

No I am just speculating.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Wow. I'm really not surprised that it's you who brought it up though. 

It should at least be brought up since it would have if the races had been the other way around.

That said, I think this was a case of poor training and bad decision by the cop.   He should be held accountable to some degree.  

• Like 6

3 hours ago, South Alabam said:

If their body cameras weren't turned on, that is one thing. If they were turned off prior to arriving on this scene, charge them with manslaughter. Police powers are out of control.

Yeah, I'd like to know the policy.    If they are required to have them on at all times, it is one thing.   If they turned them off immediately prior to this shooting it is another. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Myles said:

It should at least be brought up since it would have if the races had been the other way around.

That said, I think this was a case of poor training and bad decision by the cop.   He should be held accountable to some degree.  

Of course it would have, since it happens all the time with black people and has done throughout practically all of US history. It's a demonstrable fact that cops target blacks way more than whites and act irrationally out of fear or prejudices (or both) often resulting in their death. That people even try to defend the cops in this matter or claim that no such disparity exists stuns me. 

• Like 3

It sounds like gross incompetence at best. If so, they really need to change the ways in which they hire and train people. I don't think that the cop was hired to murder the woman, but, like Susie Ice says, it makes no sense. Maybe the cop is a homicidal nut out for some kind of "revenge" against society, but your guess is as good as mine.

• Like 6

I agree, as I mentioned earlier, it's a strange case and we'll have to wait for the pieces to come together. Not enough information has been released to get a clear picture of what happened.

Her son did apparently post a video about it, has anyone watched it? I haven't, but it could provide some further insight.

• Like 1

I read the article and I have no idea what happened. Why are people so hungry for police vilification?

And the fact that she was from Australia doesn't seem to have anything to do with the incident! Why are people also so hungry for vilification of America?

Gosh, can we wait to know what happened first?

45 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I read the article and I have no idea what happened. Why are people so hungry for police vilification?

The reason I start so many of these threads is just to spread awareness that we  have a problem with police violence in this nation. Its not about vilification as much as it is about trying to hold armed government forces accountable for their actions.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

The reason I start so many of these threads is just to spread awareness that we  have a problem with police violence in this nation. Its not about vilification as much as it is about trying to hold armed government forces accountable for their actions.

Yeah, I think police violence is a very minor issue receiving a major amount of attention. That's why I responded as I did. Criminals are the major problem.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

The officers were wearing bodycams at the time the altercation unfolded, but they were not turned on, according to the statement.

That right there should be a crime..... 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

And the fact that she was from Australia doesn't seem to have anything to do with the incident! Why are people also so hungry for vilification of America?

Gosh, can we wait to know what happened first?

I normally defend police in these shooting.

We need more information but the fact that the body cam was turned off it enough to make me suspect the worst

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I normally defend police in these shooting.

We need more information but the fact that the body cam was turned off it enough to make me suspect the worst

Usually, I find initial reports more alarmist against the police. But yes, let's wait.

Is the cop a terrorist? I'm not saying that he is or isn't one. It's just something that comes to mind based on his demographic profile. It makes the senseless make more sense.

• Like 3

I wonder if the body cams were off because the officers had not left their vehicle yet.  It doesn't seem practical to leave them on while in the car, especially since the cars all have dash cams.  If they were on all the time there would be a lot of footage of the instrument panel to sift through when looking for something important. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Michelle said:

no excuse......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big Jim said:

I wonder if the body cams were off because the officers had not left their vehicle yet.  It doesn't seem practical to leave them on while in the car, especially since the cars all have dash cams.  If they were on all the time there would be a lot of footage of the instrument panel to sift through when looking for something important. 

this now rookie......shot her from in the car......lent over and shot her through the open drivers door.......very un trained police......glad i dont live there.......and no.....no country is perfect with their policing......but this  is insane....

Edited by cluey
  • Like 2

What was the supposed crime again. Sorry I have been away for a while. 

Throughout the day, all I've heard is that the woman came out of the house in her jammies and was talking to the officer on the driver's side. The officer in the passenger side shot her through the door. I heard she came out to tell police why she called 911. She heard some kind of a loud disturbance going on in the alley behind her home she thought sounded like it could be an assault. Didn't hear any specifics.

The two officers are on administrative leave with pay and the son was saying his mother is dead and he does not know why. They said the body cams were not on. Just got home from work so I'll have to look around and see what I can find. 

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, susieice said:

Throughout the day, all I've heard is that the woman came out of the house in her jammies and was talking to the officer on the driver's side. The officer in the passenger side shot her through the door. I heard she came out to tell police why she called 911. The two officers are on administrative leave with pay and the son was saying his mother is dead and he does not know why. They said the body cams were not on. Just got home from work so I'll have to look around and see what I can find. 

Thanks 

It does so far look like a bad shooting, not that there are good ones but you know what I meen. 

• Like 2

Just now, The Silver Thong said:

Thanks 

It does so far look like a bad shooting, not that there are good ones but you know what I meen. 

Sorry ST, but I did edit in the fact that she thought an assault might be taking place behind her home.

1 minute ago, susieice said:

Sorry ST, but I did edit in the fact that she thought an assault might be taking place behind her home.

np

So the lady was reporting an assault and got shot?  Has to be more to it i think. 

• Like 2

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked