Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Non existent islands still in 21st Atlases

Ozfactor

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/wtf/the-phantom-atlas-islands-seas-and-countries-on-the-map-that-dont-really-exist/news-story/e4d2123a479cbd81b90b682554bf799e

NON-existent islands, invented mountain ranges, mythical civilisations and other fictitious geography were all at various times presented as facts on maps and atlases.

And phantom islands that never really existed are still being presented as “real” in the 21st century.

As recently as 2012, the so-called Sandy Island between Australia and New Caledonia was established as non-existent.

• Like 4

This has always fascinated me, the fact that atlases are created and we as 'average' citizens take what is given as the truth. These people literally have the power to add small detail to maps that only some might notice,  but that small detail might be myth or unproven. 

We are allowing people to shape our knowledge without confirmation of all information,  and that, to me, is dangerous. 

Edited by DebDandelion
  • Like 2

There is a new island being formed (lava) off the coast of Iceland which is not in atlases yet, but maps created during sailing ship times maybe 4/500 years ago were sometimes elaborated with mythical sea creatures like giant octopus and who knows some of the islands may have once been there and sunk below sea level years ago before the oceans were surveyed properly.cheers S.T.M.

• Like 3

Just because its not there now doesn't mean in couldn't have been there in the past. There are documented cases of islands quickly appearing then disappearing. Recently, new islands have been created of the coast of North Carolina and Pakistan
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/nasa-releases-images-of-new-island-formed-in-pakistan-earthquake-8849087.html

• Like 4

This is what happened when the map makers could not get objective evidence and had to depend on tales.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, spud the mackem said:

.....maps created during sailing ship times maybe 4/500 years ago were sometimes elaborated with mythical sea creatures like giant octopus.....

I wonder how they navigated in the old days!

Without accurate maps, they wouldn't know where the Sea Monsters were, or the best way to get around them. ;)

• Like 1

Islands are one thing. Mountain ranges are another. How do you add that in by accident?

• Like 2

Well, ancient travelers weren't always where they thought they were.  Look at Columbus who thought he was in India.  It's always easier to copy a mistake than to take the mistake out and be ridiculed for it.

• Like 2

Always amazed me old maps were as "accurate" is they were. On the other hand I have an adult friend that totally believes the Earth is hollow with a hole at the pole because he and his girlfriend have seen maps therefore it must be true. <sigh>

• Like 2

On 7/30/2017 at 0:46 AM, DebDandelion said:

This has always fascinated me, the fact that atlases are created and we as 'average' citizens take what is given as the truth. These people literally have the power to add small detail to maps that only some might notice,  but that small detail might be myth or unproven. 

We are allowing people to shape our knowledge without confirmation of all information,  and that, to me, is dangerous. 

Now that you are awoken (you were probably already awoken), imagine about the rest of everything. not only in map, but in history, science, politics, etc.

• Like 2

I think the name sandy island suggests it could have easily washed away... But has anybody heard of the mandela effect changes to the map? I think 2012 is when it was all said to have changed.

Wow.... wouldn't that be the COOLEST job in the world ? Going around confirming the existence/non-existence of these islands and mountains on behalf of the map makers ? 

< bring bring.... bring bring... > Hello boss; I can confirm that the Bahama's exists... I'll be checking the Dominican Republic next. < background noise of laughter and clinking glasses > The background noise boss ? Oh.. that's just the other people in Nippers Beach Ba.... errr..... Geological Survey outpost. Got do dash... byeee... >

I wonder what future generations will think of our present map of the universe ?

Maybe they used to exist, but now they're under water. Just a thought.

1 hour ago, seanjo said:

The Mandela effect is all about peoples memories and how we recall details differently in later years to when the memory was formed. Who hasn't sat down with an old friend and recalled events together that you both participated in but remember differently?

It was named "The Mandela Effect" because when Nelson Mandela died and it was in the news thousands of people remembered him being dead already, but this was just humans being fallible Humans.

Not quite - someone posted a blog on the internet saying that they thought Mandela had died in prison (omitting to explain who was SA President in 1994) - and a bunch of people read it and then "remembered" the same ...... so they posted it on the internet too, causing a few more people - mainly on conspiracy forums - to "remember" history as being different as well   Since then, various conspiracy forums members have "mis-remembered" a number of very significant things such as the words spoken by a movie character or the lyrics of a song, which "proves" "something" happened.   But the actual numbers are probably measured in dozens worldwide ....

But no-one has ever "remembered" who the SA President was in 1994 if it wasn't Mandela.  And that's the real proof of the pudding ;) 

As for islands on maps that no longer exist - that's because either they never existed in the first place, or have since sunk.   There are also islands that exist but don't (yet) appear on maps .....   

Incidently, until as recently as the 1970s there was at least one mountain in Scotland that existed but didn't appear on any map .....

Edited by Essan

17 hours ago, seanjo said:

The Mandela effect is all about peoples memories and how we recall details differently in later years to when the memory was formed. Who hasn't sat down with an old friend and recalled events together that you both participated in but remember differently?

It was named "The Mandela Effect" because when Nelson Mandela died and it was in the news thousands of people remembered him being dead already, but this was just humans being fallible Humans.

I am aware, but also discovered the phenomena because i am %100 sure that i read Berenstein Bears growing up as well as a few other things that changed. I dont thinkk faulty memory explains when i was learning to read and asked my dad how to pronounce berenstein because the ei was new to me. I clearly remember many things from a younger age than most (1) and verified them by my parents. There is a young boy who is a physicist who suggested a reason this happened and i quite agree with him and suspected the same, but its another topic entirely which the less intune willl cry "prove it!" If i try and discuss it here. If you are interested in hearing check out the interview with max laughlin.

Back to the topic tho, the reason i mentioned it is that some changes to the map were suggested to be mandela effects. Such as the movement of continents and countries. Said to have happened around 2012. Effect of cern? Perhaps effect of more accurate gps in this case...

Edited by Nnicolette