Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Robots shut down after creating own language

seeder

Experts have called the incident exciting but also incredibly scary

Facebook has shut down two artificial intelligences that appeared to be chatting to each other in a strange language only they understood.

The two chatbots came to create their own changes to English that made it easier for them to work – but which remained mysterious to the humans that supposedly look after them.

The bizarre discussions came as Facebook challenged its chatbots to try and negotiate with each other over a trade, attempting to swap hats, balls and books, each of which were given a certain value. But they quickly broke down as the robots appeared to chant at each other in a language that they each understood but which appears mostly incomprehensible to humans.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/facebook-artificial-intelligence-ai-chatbot-new-language-research-openai-google-a7869706.html

• Like 3

• Like 2

Now wouldn't it be rich if somehow, someone manages to decipher the blabber years down the line and it turns out to be the cure for cancer ?

:lol:

~

• Like 9

Face book ohhh god they already have made humans into robots. 

• Like 4

I'd just like to state that balls have zero to me to me to me to me to me to me to me to me to.

• Like 3

Skynet averted.

Oh wait.... they were actually going to work out the meaning of you know.. Life, the Universe and Everything.

• Like 4

Balls mean zero to me to me to me to me to me as well.

I do find it slightly disturbing that facebook is using ai bots to communicate and negotiate though. It makes me wonder even more about all the weird phony accounts that try to add me and spam me and such.

• Like 1

That "conversation" is worrying. Here's a snippet... 

"... 

Bob: i can i i everything else . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Alice: balls have zero to me to me to me to me to me to me to me to me to

Bob: you i everything else . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Alice: balls have a ball to me to me to me to me to me to me to me

Bob: i i can i i i everything else . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Bob: i . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

It could be gibberish, but it could also suggest that the two AI's are grappling with self-identity... struggling with the concept of the "I" and the "Not-I" (e.g. everything but myself). 

• Like 2

That's very creepy.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

"... 

It could be gibberish, but it could also suggest that the two AI's are grappling with self-identity... struggling with the concept of the "I" and the "Not-I" (e.g. everything but myself). 

It's a code. They're still negotiating. They made deals this way. 

Well, perhaps ChaosRose.. perhaps.

But that repetition of "I" and "me" sounds worryingly like an attempt to move towards Self-awareness. And that IS worrying.

Apart from anything else, if an AI becomes self-aware, wouldn't it be murder to shut it down, or to attempt to modify its code ?

• Like 1

How do they know the chatbots were not simply malfunctioning? Like a programming error or two? Computers produce gibberish when the programming fails.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Well, perhaps ChaosRose.. perhaps.

But that repetition of "I" and "me" sounds worryingly like an attempt to move towards Self-awareness. And that IS worrying.

Apart from anything else, if an AI becomes self-aware, wouldn't it be murder to shut it down, or to attempt to modify its code ?

It's no special insight I had. They mentioned in the article that they were still able to make transactions using this new "language." 

Just look at how the number of i's and to me's change. It's still a negotiation. The humans just can't figure out what the code is, so they freaked. And it is creepy that the AI can in fact make up its own code that we don't understand. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dlh said:

How do they know the chatbots were not simply malfunctioning? Like a programming error or two? Computers produce gibberish when the programming fails.

Because they were still making transactions.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dlh said:

Perhaps so DLH. However, babies learn language by babbling.

A negotiator in the midst of doublespeak. Orwell defined. Interesting, but still a distance from being able to reprogram our WiFi ESP8266 microcontrollers to subvert us within our Internet of Things (IoT) controlled environments. Yet, a change of climate looms.

4 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Perhaps so DLH. However, babies learn language by babbling.

No need to babble when you've got full on language skills. It's not a regression. It's a progression. An evolution of language to make it more efficient. Kind of like how we use abbreviations for things online.

"Balls are 0 to me" does sound an awful lot like...I'm AI...what use could I possibly have for a ball? Also a trick of negotiation, though, in making the other party think you aren't interested. It's kinda like the walk away. 

The article has been updated about half an hour ago.

The title now reads: 

FACEBOOK'S ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE ROBOTS SHUT DOWN AFTER THEY START TALKING TO EACH OTHER IN THEIR OWN LANGUAGE

There have been changes and additions to the body, and this disclaimer has been added to the end of the article:

Update: This article has been amended to stress that the experiment was abandoned because the programs were not doing the work required, not because they were afraid of the results, as has been reported elsewhere.

Edited by Timonthy
Edited
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Timonthy said:

The article has been updated about half an hour ago.

Update: This article has been amended to stress that the experiment was abandoned because the programs were not doing the work required, not because they were afraid of the results, as has been reported elsewhere.

A likely story. Lol. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, seanjo said:

I have devised a couple of ways to shut down a malfunctioning AI computer, one is pull the fricking plug out, two is more radical and involves a sledgehammer...

Hope it wasn't connected to the internet, or it has gone global. 

2 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

A likely story. Lol. 

What reason would there be to be afraid? They're trying to make money and their programming wasn't working...

That's like manufacturing a product, finding a fatal flaw, but continuing without fixing it, knowing that you won't be able to sell it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

"... 

the last word Bob says could be self awareness ?

• Like 1

This bit is interesting...

The chatbots also learned to negotiate in ways that seem very human. They would, for instance, pretend to be very interested in one specific item – so that they could later pretend they were making a big sacrifice in giving it up, according to a paper published by FAIR.

• Like 2