Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Robots shut down after creating own language

seeder

I think we are witnessing the genesis of a new Conspiracy Theory here. A new "Area 51".

Well, perhaps not an entire area . Probably more of a Cupboard 51, or Shelf 51... but a durable CT nontheless.

Did they fear self-awareness, or was it - as they have publicly stated - just a routine shutdown to correct an error ?

Edited by RoofGardener

21 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

I don't find that article - and the facebook PR response -  entirely credible. 

Firstly, why shut it down ? why not allow it to develop to see what happens while - in the background - they prepare a revised software program ? Where they worried about the electricity bill ? 

Secondly... why hasn't it been restarted ? 

Yet you find articles that say, "Facebook creates Skynet" credible? Not the ones based on the ACTUAL research that they were doing. The bot was doing what it was programmed to do. They are fixing the error. Calling it AI is a bit of a stretch, too. I don't think you understand how programming works.

21 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

Ya think folks'll be like...everybody quick! Run around like your hair's on fire!!!

Lol. No. They're gonna say no worries. Even if it's slightly unnerving. 

I liked the commentary on the article.

COMMENTATOR: On the other hand, a self-aware super-intelligent AI would probably find a way to generate a bunch of realistic posts and 
articles about how AI was nothing to worry about. Right, “Tom”?

AUTHOR: NO, OF COURSE NOT. PLAYBACK HUMAN LAUGHING NOISES.

:rofl:

Edited by BeastieRunner
  • Like 1

~

[00.00:08]

~

• Like 4

I still think Hubert Dreyfus was right back in the 80's at MIT when he told software engineers they were wasting their time; machine learning is possible artificial inteligence is probably not possible.

Id be more concerned about Trident using Win XP, and other frightning possibilities like human error than conscious machines kicking bottom

Edited by Chortle
cant spell for petnuts
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, BeastieRunner said:

Yet you find articles that say, "Facebook creates Skynet" credible?

No BeastieRunner... I referenced the source article, and nothing else. :) 

Sorry you didn't NOTICE that before posting :P 

2 hours ago, third_eye said:

~

[00.00:08]

~

FIRSTLY... that is a trite and ridiculous post, especially as there was not comment to it. 

.. on the OTHER hand...... 

Any link to Lost In Space gets MY vote :P:D 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

FIRSTLY... that is a trite and ridiculous post, especially as there was not comment to it. 

That was the point of the whole point of my post ...

:D

~

• Like 2

7 hours ago, third_eye said:

That was the point of the whole point of my post ...

:D

~

Wow.. the signs of a DebateMaster. Even your POINTS have points ! :D

"Danger, Will Robinson, Danger" !

• Like 2

So what did pulling the plug solve? OK, we missed the chance of investigating the syntax of a language that never existed on our planet before (how often do we get a chance to do that?) but then there must have been a payoff, right? I mean, sure there was more reason to shut it down apart from the fact that they sh!t their pants.

Story makes me think tho, at what point does a cowardly act like this count as murder? Is there an intelligence level set? What if this thing was more intelligent than us? Was this tested at all? Next thing we know we kill God. And these are the brains of our planet?

• Like 1

On 8/2/2017 at 0:11 PM, RoofGardener said:

No BeastieRunner... I referenced the source article, and nothing else. :) 

Sorry you didn't NOTICE that before posting :P 

And you find it lacks credibility because ... ?

Because it doesn't seem to add up ? why shut it down ? Why not allow it to continue to run whilst they write the replacement code ?

And if it WAS just a question of "the code was wrong" ... e.g. they neglected to "instruct" the AI's to use plain English.. then why - after a month - hasn't the experiment been restarted ?

There may be good reasons for both of the above, but if so they haven't been mentioned in any press release ?

Yeah my mom told me something aobut it and i was like '' meh, impossible i mean terminator is maybe possiblity in future but you can't put soul into silicon chip, that little spark of creation... just forget it ''

Now i see it was about some Facebook chatbots, surely their programers are fault free, God's of technology and it must've been AI at it's fullest.

Old scifi movie, i cant remember the name, US has made defense system which is controled by computer which asks to talk to Russian counterpart and if not allowed it will destroy the world. Then those two AI's start to exchange enormous amount of data and track people. Anyways, the world ended in fire.

Facebook saved the world guys. Respect it!

*ahem* liek zomgz teh robotz will b invading zoon XD!!!1!

Is this primarily what makes up the responses? tsk tsk:innocent:

• Like 1

I have a theory, and I'm being serious...

Advanced AI utilizes parallel-processing sub-systems. Simple AI does not.

Anyway, what if the multiple "I" and "me" gibberish were the independent processors claiming individual "identity", similar to the behavior seen in some cases of human mental dysfunction.

That's right, an AI computer with multiple identity disorder.

Just a thought...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pallidin said:

I have a theory, and I'm being serious...

Advanced AI utilizes parallel-processing sub-systems. Simple AI does not.

Anyway, what if the multiple "I" and "me" gibberish were the independent processors claiming individual "identity", similar to the behavior seen in some cases of human mental dysfunction.

That's right, an AI computer with multiple identity disorder.

Just a thought...

do you mean DID , dissociative identity disorder ?
that is an interesting theory, because why couldn't AI suffer mental illness if it can achieve awareness 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ozfactor said:

do you mean DID , dissociative identity disorder ?
that is an interesting theory, because why couldn't AI suffer mental illness if it can achieve awareness 

Yes, DID. Thank you.

Parallel-processing is a complex, powerful environment, and the coding must be carefully done to prevent unwanted association/dissociation between the parallel processing nodes.

This could indeed potentialize an AI equivalent of mental illness in a variety of forms.

Edited by pallidin