Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What religion are you?

nephili

What did Jesus say you need to do to be saved?

Just now, John Christian said:

Which time? 

Every time.

1 minute ago, Will Due said:

Every time.

It was always the gospel

Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God,  And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.
Mark 1:14‭-‬15 KJV

Reconciliation through repentance. 

20 minutes ago, John Christian said:

Reconciliation through repentance. 

There's a reason for me asking you these questions John. Perhaps we might get down to it eventually, but then again maybe not.

"Reconciliation through repentance."

Not exactly earth shaking John. This idea is a very ancient one. Certainly not new.

So I'll ask again, since this is most definitely not what Jesus told his hearers, it's certainly not news, and in that regard alone, probably wouldn't have had much affect on his followers to go and spread it around.

So what's the good news, that's different from anything that came before that Jesus taught?

The never before heard of religious element that stirred the world in Palestine so much that he ended up dead for teaching it to the common people?

You said you're focused on what Jesus taught.

What was it?

Edited by Will Due
  • Like 1

Actually, I'm trying to get up to something. For example, why, as his literal last teaching, did he take on the role of a servant and stoop to wash the feet of his friends.

That wasn't repentance nor was it reconciliatory. So what gives?

But it was a dramatic parable, a paradox of the Master serving the servants, and a compelling performance of love in the face of impending death.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Will Due said:

Actually, I'm trying to get up to something. For example, why, as his literal last teaching, did he take on the role of a servant and stoop to wash the feet of his friends.

That wasn't repentance nor was it reconciliatory. So what gives?

But it was a dramatic parable, a paradox of the Master serving the servants, and a compelling performance of love in the face of impending death.

I'm actually quite intrigued here, Frank Zappa. The master serving the servants part. Can you continue? Is there more to where you are going with this?

6 hours ago, nephili said:

I'm actually quite intrigued here, Frank Zappa. The master serving the servants part. Can you continue? Is there more to where you are going with this?

They called him Master unbidden because they loved him. They saw that he was a master at living, how to be human.

The mastery of the parable of washing feet has to do with loving service, simply doing for someone something you know needs to be done.

Not as Master and servant, but as a father or mother does for their sons and daughters.

That night, the last night he spent on earth he gave us, his family, a new commandment which he performed first.

Spoiler

After a few moments of informal conversation, Jesus stood up and said: “When I enacted for you a parable indicating how you should be willing to serve one another, I said that I desired to give you a new commandment; and I would do this now as I am about to leave you. You well know the commandment which directs that you love one another; that you love your neighbor even as yourself. But I am not wholly satisfied with even that sincere devotion on the part of my children. I would have you perform still greater acts of love in the kingdom of the believing brotherhood. And so I give you this new commandment: That you love one another even as I have loved you. 

The new commandment is greater than the golden rule and is NOT that we are to love each other as ourselves, but rather that we love each other as HE loves us, with a fatherly affection.