Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How to go about researching a true crime

rashore

How to go about researching a true crime... I'm a bit of an old hand with this, and often have my own methods and advice to give.. and more often than not here on UM we have folks that have goodly advice on researching crime too.

But we often have members that are new to this too. From all around the world.

So I'm hoping this thread can be a resource on how to go about researching crime.. Local newspapers, good sites for recent news? Historical crime that happened decades ago or more, how to look it up. Plat map archives and such.

I don't want this thread to derail into specific cases- that's better off for other threads.

I'll kick this off with a few bits I do... look for local news channels/sites. If historic, look for cited news sources in print. 

• Like 3

I don't research crime as such, but crime and legal action do come into what I look into. 

I'm lucky in that 99% of my research concerns Australia, which is largely covered by a digitised newspaper archive called The Trove, it's a fantastic resource. Something I'd advise is that if you draw a blank, go back and try searching for info on associates, business interests, anything that either gives context or might put you back on track. 

Also read carefully and fully, it's easy to mistake what an article says, especially if it seems to say exactly what you want it to. Double check. And examine all interpretations. 

• Like 4

I know nothing about researching a crime, but I know that a criminal always returns to the scene of the crime, unless they defecate on a police car.

I would put myself in the perp's shoes, and try to think what he/she would be thinking.

• Like 1

I research using the aide of old newspaper archives at a library or if I am interested in a crime I go to the city where the crimes were committed  . I ask around town , word of mouth sometimes is better than what has been put in reports . 

• Like 2