Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Downtown Tulsa Tornado Came w/o Sirens

Raptor Witness

Last night, and without any advance warning, a tornado struck downtown Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Note that the National Severe Storm Laboratory, with all their fancy equipment and prognosticators, are located in nearby Norman, Oklahoma. http://www.nssl.noaa.gov/

It seems that lots of folks were asleep in the caboose.

Here is Tulsa's emergency manager trying to explain why the tornado sirens were never activated.  It's hard to tell who he's trying to blame.

Skip to the five-minute mark,  and see if this self proclaimed caretaker reminds you of the Wizard of Oz, taking off in his balloon.

• Like 1

"I can't come back, I don't know how it works,"

Edited by Raptor Witness

1 hour ago, Raptor Witness said:

Last night, and without any advance warning, a tornado struck downtown Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Note that the National Severe Storm Laboratory, with all their fancy equipment and prognosticators, are located in nearby Norman, Oklahoma. http://www.nssl.noaa.gov/

Here is Tulsa's emergency manager trying to explain why the tornado sirens were never activated.  It's hard to tell who he's trying to blame.

Skip to the five-minute mark,  and see if this self proclaimed caretaker reminds you of the Wizard of Oz, taking off in his balloon.

"Boy, are you sure you can skin Grizz?"

• Like 1

Thankfully no one got hurt . Seems they are not really sure it was a tornado , they are saying A possible tornado caused heavy damage throughout midtown overnight when the storm hit at about 1:30 a.m. 

• Like 1

I guess the only thing to determine is if the Storm itself had a rotation that caused the damage or if it was a funneling of straight line winds.

EF2 Tornado - Preliminary Assessment, moved quickly from  downtown Tulsa to the suburb of Broken Arrow.

I wonder how a city named "Broken Arrow," Oklahoma got its name?

Broken Arrow, Oklahoma - The city was named for a Creek community settled by Creek Indians who had been forced to relocate from Alabama to Oklahoma along the Trail of Tears. - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_Arrow,_Oklahoma

-------------------------

i'm not surprised that this city would somehow be connected to the infamous Trail of Tears.

it's actually fairly rare for a major US city to be hit by an EF2 tornado, without warning.

Anyone familiar with modern Doppler radar knows why. Usually, the parent  thunderstorm cloud will be seeing rotating well ahead of the tornado actually touching down.  In this case, it wasn't seen in time.  This one struck like a lightning bolt.

15 hours ago, Raptor Witness said:

"Nearby," in this case, means about 100 miles away.

Doug

Why was there no warning before devastating Tulsa tornado? - CBS News August 7, 2017

Over and over again, I keep reading and hearing about how "rare" this tornado was, as if the State of Confusion seeks to explain itself for not sounding the sirens.

What's truly rare is a forecast of broken "bows and arrows," coupled with "storms without refuge" or warning, from "the state of confusion," made just hours before the rare event materialized.

It's about as rare, as EF4 tornados striking Mayflower, AR, and Pilgrim, NE in a single year. 

Surely the good folks at the Severe Storms Lab, should realize by now that the Trail of Tears, begins where it ended.

NWS details tornado paths through Tulsa, Broken ArrowAugust 7th 2017

36437147315_184555e8d2_o.jpg

Source Link: Broken Arrow (Delmer Daves 1950)

Published - August 5, 2017 at 8 27 PM

Forecasting where hurricanes will make landfall, is at best, like a putting a jigsaw puzzle together, turned sunny side down ...

At worst, it's like something not seen in two thousand years.

35585974123_0750716769_c.jpg

Source Link:

The state of confusion's days are numbered. They will offer no one refuge from the storms ahead.

Their bow will be knocked from their right hand, and the arrows stripped from their left. 

Their fate is written on the sky for all to see.

Edited by Raptor Witness

I grew up in Tornado country.

We also had from time to time, these wicked 'straight winds' that could chew stuff up and don't give warning like a tornado forming.

Perhaps it was that...

I'm trying to figure out this thread.    Are people saying that the tornado siren should have been sounded?   

From my experience, they are pretty good at sounding the siren when a tornado is spotted.   

Edited by Myles

20 minutes ago, Myles said:

I'm trying to figure out this thread.    Are people saying that the tornado siren should have been sounded. 

Kind of? I think it's more wondering why the siren didn't go off before the tornado hit. From the way articles read, sounds like it happened so fast, by the time the warning came in to trigger the siren, the tornado had already moved on.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, rashore said:

Kind of? I think it's more wondering why the siren didn't go off before the tornado hit. From the way articles read, sounds like it happened so fast, by the time the warning came in to trigger the siren, the tornado had already moved on.

It is a tough situation.   A tornado can pop up very quickly.   

Some towns and cities used to sound the alarm when the conditions were ripe for tornadoes.   Unfortunately that led to the "Cry Wolf syndrome".   People just started ignoring them.   I know that now, in the small city I live in, if the siren goes off, people take immediate shelter.  

On 8/7/2017 at 0:32 AM, Raptor Witness said:

I guess you really didn't listen to what the man was saying as he was quite clear about how this all happened and how quickly everything developed.  The NWS and the local meteorologists are quite clear that these predictive systems are not 100% all the time and these storms can trigger a tornado with no warning.   Non one, I repeat NO ONE was asleep at the switch and how you drew that conclusion after listening to this very clear explanation is beyond me.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Raptor Witness said:

Why was there no warning before devastating Tulsa tornado? - CBS News August 7, 2017

Over and over again, I keep reading and hearing about how "rare" this tornado was, as if the State of Confusion seeks to explain itself for not sounding the sirens.

What's truly rare is a forecast of broken "bows and arrows," coupled with "storms without refuge" or warning, from "the state of confusion," made just hours before the rare event materialized.

It's about as rare, as EF4 tornados striking Mayflower, AR, and Pilgrim, NE in a single year. 

Surely the good folks at the Severe Storms Lab, should realize by now that the Trail of Tears, begins where it ended.

NWS details tornado paths through Tulsa, Broken ArrowAugust 7th 2017

36437147315_184555e8d2_o.jpg

Source Link: Broken Arrow (Delmer Daves 1950)

Well now we have our explanation  for you inexplicable accusation that the authorities were asleep at the switch, you simply wanted to launch one of your harebrained and silly end times theories or what ever you want to call the above silliness.  Maybe a strong tornado in Mayflower AR is rare but they happen and one occurring this year is NOT an indicator of whatever you are predicting it is simply a tornado in AR.   We have actually been in a record lull for extreme weather the last few years but hysterics such as yourself love to dramatize any storm that pops up  even during the tornadoo season.  Ridiculous