Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Researchers crack the 'Karakoram anomaly'

Claire.

Researchers crack the 'Karakoram anomaly'

A summer 'vortex' of cold air over the Karakoram mountain range is causing the glaciers in the region to grow in spite of global warming, scientists have shown. Publishing their findings today in Nature Climate Change, the team from Newcastle University, UK, have identified a large scale circulation system—or vortex—centred over the Karakoram, a large mountain range spanning the borders of Pakistan, India, and China.

Read more: Phys.org

• Like 2

Hmm... is this a REAL vortex... e.g. something that has actually been measured ? Or is it just another computer simulation ? 

1 hour ago, RoofGardener said:

Hmm... is this a REAL vortex... e.g. something that has actually been measured ? Or is it just another computer simulation ? 

This was done from real-life data, but there is a lot of modeling in it.  Best described as something in-between.

Doug

Edited by Doug1029
  • Like 1

Sooo... does this invalidate the PREVIOUS "solution" to the "anomaly", which was also based on computer modelling ? (it was something to do with winter precipitation.... there is a link to it in the main article linked in the opening post).

I'm a trifle suspicious of the article.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Sooo... does this invalidate the PREVIOUS "solution" to the "anomaly", which was also based on computer modelling ? (it was something to do with winter precipitation.... there is a link to it in the main article linked in the opening post).

I'm a trifle suspicious of the article.

You and me both.

• Like 1

Well it does seem unlikely that all of the Earth is thawing at the same time, regardless of all the hype.  I'm sure eventually it will happen, but for the time being let's hope this article is correct.  People will need somewhere to ski, right?

I guess Trump is going to use this as evidence for his belief that climate change doesn't exist :-( .

Edited by fred_mc