Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists create breakthrough healing device

UM-Bot

Wow! Fingers crossed with this one :o

• Like 4

This could revoloutionise medical care, from initial trauma care to long standing medical conditions, fantastic

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

Looks to be an amazing tool.  Hope it is for real.

Kinda sounds too good to be true...

• Like 3

How about curing cancer? Or at least not causing it?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, seanjo said:

"Cancer " is a catch all term for all the different types of out of control cell growth that cancers are, there is no one cure for cancer each type has its own cure needs.

Yeah. Different kinds of the same s**t. The DNA code gets broken in time, as we grow older. Finding the cure for cancer is like finding the cure for death in general. But still I'd wish to die from a heart attack. It's my personal fear, so I really hope a real cure will be found one day. And it won't be like the one in "I am Legend" ;)

Edited by Chaldon
  • Like 1

Awesome!

• Like 1

Spooky.

I was just reading the other day how infants heal fast and scarlessly due to this process naturally occurring up to (if i member right) 6 months of age? 

Awesome sauce.

Another Star Trek gadget becoming reality! :lol:

• Like 2

Awesome technology.  But couldn't they come up with something to call it other than TNT?  We don't need some idiot being asked, "Go get me the TNT" and the yahoo brings a lit stick of dynamite instead of the instrument.

• Like 1

Hmm I wonder how it will go on healing joints.. mine are aching..

age I guess..

3 minutes ago, DingoLingo said:

Hmm I wonder how it will go on healing joints.. mine are aching..

age I guess..

I have terrible arthritis in my lower back and if this thing replaces damaged tissue with healthy then maybe.......  Not getting any hopes up but we are both old enough, I am guessing, to remember when the Salk vaccine was a new thing that erased the horror of polio within our first decade of childhood.

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 2

This is so close to the cure for cancer....

17 minutes ago, seanjo said:

So you're saying I need the blood of new borns to live forever?

Lol i think its actually in the dna and programmed to shut off similar to a gene that determines height.

However,  there are advocates of the consumption of the blood of the young to maintain youth, and some science to back it up...

What are donation clinics really doing with all tha plasma??:mellow:

• Like 1

Theoretically it seems possible but I don't know if I can believe it.  I mean, I know integrated plasmids exist in biology but this chip would have to be made up of these types of plasmids along with some other chemical or nano structure that when electrically charged, allows those plasmids to infiltrate the surrounding contacted cells which in turn integrate the plasmids into their own DNA structure causing the cells to replicate into the desired target cell type.  But the complexity of this seems mind-boggling.  I'd have to see it to believe it.

If it works, this new TNT technology has the potential to be explosive!

My two quite pessimistic cents:

1) What if once the chip is applied, it doesn't stay confined to the patch, but starts a chain reaction that reprograms the whole skin area (such as the whole arm)? 

2) I guess I don't get it or the article doesn't specify it, but we don't have free kilograms of skin ready to be ripped off. Apparently the chip reprograms the cells, but doesn't increase or boost the cells number. That's fine if you just need some minor blood vessels, but if a person needs a new organ for example, where will you get it? Will they leave the area without skin? Will you have a heart shaped scar on your butt cheek? 

3) The article states that the procedure works in a few seconds, but I guess it is more correct to say that it starts in seconds, but then it takes its time to grow something new (indeed the rat healed in 3 weeks). It doesn't seem it could be feasible to treat an extensive injury that needs immediate action, but rather something you can plan ahead of time. 

4) What if someone manages to hack the chip, replacing the genetic information?

Even simpler, what if someone swaps the tags on the chips or someone mistakenly uses the wrong one?  I assume they won't be programmed by the doctors using them, it's easier if they will have several pre-programmed chips ready for the most common requests. 

4) I reckon it won't probably be a technology available to everyone, rather to the elites. 

If it works, this is a step closer to "immortality" (let's say "prolonging considerably life expectancy"). If you can easily replace failing organs with your own grown ones, without the issues connected to transplants, that's huge. 

It's a very smart technology, both in itself and because it works around the ethically problematic stem cells, skipping directly to regular, live (and attached to its owner) skin.

Maybe that's why it is already awaiting FDA approval for human testing.