Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Empaths please help!

brownidemma

Hi there, I'm Emma and I need help.

For the passed two years, I have become very anxious about really silly things like being in the same room with certain people, or interacting with certain people with, what i call "bad vibes", and so on. Throughout this period of time, I moved into a college dorm room with a girl who was very, very, very quiet and as a result of this I began to became extremely anxious and nervous about doing anything in the dorm that made noise for some mysterious reason. As a result of the stress I was dealing with, I decided to move out. During the second semester, I moved with a girl who I thought was cool, but as I spent more time in the dorm I again felt more and more anxious and I became bitter and mean. As a side note, by the end of the semester I realized this girl was a very bitter and jealous person. This passed weekend I hung out with my boyfriend, and pretty much the whole weekend I was extremely anxious and felt I needed to move around or step away from social situations that I'm usually able to handle. I found out later my boy was having a hard time at work, not to mention his home life isn't healthy by any means and I think it started to affect his energy. And finally last night, I was video chatting with my boyfriend and he said something to me that was small and dumb, but for some reason I got really upset and ended up crying pretty much the whole night. Mind you, I was super happy the entire day.

As you can see, I'm a little concerned about whether or not I'm crazy or have some kind of mood disorder. I'm scared I'm leaning on the idea of being an empath for the sake of not admitting there's something wrong with me. Can someone please help me figure out what is wrong with me? Has anyone else experienced any of these things themselves? I would love, love, love some clarity and guidance! 

Thank you.

• Like 2

You should speak to your doctor about this sounds like you have a anxiety disorder that sometimes comes on when youre away from home living in a dorm . I've seen students go through what youre going through after moving into a dorm . First rule I use when I'm at school , when you move into a dorm never tip toe around someone that's quite . Let them get used to living with you . Just like when you bring home a new born from the hospital , don't try to be very quite let the child get used to noise, the TV , stereo , speak like you normally do dont whisper. The girl might have been just shy . She probably would have been a better dorm mate than the bitter one. 

For the passed two years, I have become very anxious about really silly things like being in the same room with certain people, or interacting with certain people with, what i call "bad vibes", and so on.

This is called social anxiety. Some people most invariably start to sweat profusely while confronted (interacting) with strangers or probable hostile kind of people. I know that describing the symptoms of social anxiety does not help much. But at least you may feel better knowing that to some degree or another to a certain extent most of us present some symptoms of social anxiety.

Being an Empath does not mean that you act out other people's feelings, it's more you just feel the feelings and understand the feelings, it can drain you not change you....

On 8/9/2017 at 11:50 AM, brownidemma said:

as I spent more time in the dorm I again felt more and more anxious and I became bitter and mean. As a side note, by the end of the semester I realized this girl was a very bitter and jealous person.

12 hours ago, Rizo said:

Being an Empath does not mean that you act out other people's feelings, it's more you just feel the feelings and understand the feelings, it can drain you not change you....

Incorrect. 

When an empath is constantly bombarded with the emotions of others, it isn't just draining. Especially in the beginning. No-one knows instinctively that they are an empath. It takes a bit to figure it out. That's why many Empaths are misdiagnosed as bipolar or severely depressed. When you feel what others are feeling it's confusing. If you are absorbing stress, anxiousness, worry, anger, and grief, unless you know how to deal with it, and recognize that it belongs to others, you are absolutely going to take it on as your own. It is not uncommon at all for empaths to become irritable in these situations. 

On 8/9/2017 at 11:50 AM, brownidemma said:

I moved into a college dorm room with a girl who was very, very, very quiet and as a result of this I began to became extremely anxious and nervous about doing anything in the dorm that made noise for some mysterious reason.

Brownidemma, there is one thing about your post that is very telling. Sign #1 of being an empath: Knowing.There are certain things empaths just KNOW.  You knew this girl was nervous about making noise. The only mystery was the reason why.

Here are a few links that have some really great information. They explain key points, and can give you advice on how to cope. It is possible to deflect a lot of those feelings. 

http://paranormal.lovetoknow.com/Empathic_Psychic_Abilities

https://exemplore.com/paranormal/What-is-an-Empath-Traits-signs-solutions

https://www.annasayce.com/signs-that-youre-an-empath/

https://www.annasayce.com/how-to-turn-off-overactive-empathy/https://theknowing1.wordpress.com/2013/08/28/an-empaths-guide-to-living-in-the-world/

One simple technique for controlling empathic abilities is visualization.

1. Close your eyes and visualize two volume switches in your mind's eye. Label one switch "me" and one switch "everyone else."
  2. Turn your volume switch all the way up. Turn the volume switch for everyone else all the way down.
  3. Reset this as often as you need. In the beginning, this may be several times a day, but as you progress the switches will stay in position for longer periods. Do this when you are about to go into situations with crowds (such as going into the city, going shopping, etc.), or if you feel overwhelmed by emotions you suspect are not your own.

Learn how to minimize your personal reaction to emotions of others. You have to stop processing it as feelings and treat it as simply information being received. This comes with a lot of practice but eventually, you will be able to distinguish which emotions are yours and which ones belong to someone else.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2017 at 5:50 PM, brownidemma said:

Hi there, I'm Emma and I need help.

For the passed two years, I have become very anxious about really silly things like being in the same room with certain people, or interacting with certain people with, what i call "bad vibes", and so on. Throughout this period of time, I moved into a college dorm room with a girl who was very, very, very quiet and as a result of this I began to became extremely anxious and nervous about doing anything in the dorm that made noise for some mysterious reason. As a result of the stress I was dealing with, I decided to move out. During the second semester, I moved with a girl who I thought was cool, but as I spent more time in the dorm I again felt more and more anxious and I became bitter and mean. As a side note, by the end of the semester I realized this girl was a very bitter and jealous person. This passed weekend I hung out with my boyfriend, and pretty much the whole weekend I was extremely anxious and felt I needed to move around or step away from social situations that I'm usually able to handle. I found out later my boy was having a hard time at work, not to mention his home life isn't healthy by any means and I think it started to affect his energy. And finally last night, I was video chatting with my boyfriend and he said something to me that was small and dumb, but for some reason I got really upset and ended up crying pretty much the whole night. Mind you, I was super happy the entire day.

As you can see, I'm a little concerned about whether or not I'm crazy or have some kind of mood disorder. I'm scared I'm leaning on the idea of being an empath for the sake of not admitting there's something wrong with me. Can someone please help me figure out what is wrong with me? Has anyone else experienced any of these things themselves? I would love, love, love some clarity and guidance! 

Thank you.

It's called being human. Perhaps see a qualified professional (such as a psychotherapist) if anxiety is getting in the way of your day-to-day life.

I'm curious as to why a normal psychological function is considered to be a "psychic ability". All of us have empathy to a greater or lesser degree, because of our mirror neurons which allow us to mimic the behavior of others. It's how we learn sympathy through empathy. It's not mystical or supernatural, it's a human trait. 

IDK, at times we tend to complicate simple things. Empaths... I wonder if there is actually something like empaths. It s best we begin to make some distinctions here. What do you mean by empaths-interrogation mark. Would there be a paranormal component here (interrogation mark). Or... What you mean by empaths can be explained away by psychology(interrogative mark)-  Isn`t it just something behavioral, comportamental, isn`t it just a product of education, the background in which the individual learned how to react to society-(interrogative mark). The old traditional family would have as a basic principle as far as education is concerned, and how the individual is expected to behave, that he will try to be subservient to others, (teachers, parents, family folks, societal group). In a word he would disregard his own disires and wishes and will do his, her best to try to please others. Maturity will characterize by the beforementioned tendency developing the so called `empaths`. I dive deeply into someone else s mind and share his or her suffering, anguishes, anxieties and so on.  . So seen by this perspective, under this psychological scope things sound more simple and much less `mystical`. 

There is often a high percentage in the universe of people suffering from `empaths` or social anxiety disorder, maybe 90 per cent can be explained away by problems akin to behavior, education, background and so on and so forth. I know somehow it may sound so simplistic nearing trash psychology. But most times apparent complicated issues can be explained away by the individual  background.  

Edited by Tonite T
English mistakes