Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery illness hits diplomats in Cuba

The Caspian Hare

Canada's foreign ministry is investigating after at least one of its diplomats stationed in Cuba was treated for hearing loss and headaches.

It comes a day after the US said its diplomats in Havana were experiencing strange physical symptoms.

Reports suggest the envoys could have been targeted by a covert sonic device that causes hearing loss.

Havana denies the allegation, but the US has removed two Cuban diplomats from Washington DC in retaliation.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40894444

• Like 4

I see they got around to blaming Russia for it.  Not that I think Russia is incapable of doing wrong or that I trust them but they seem to be the favorite scapegoat lately.  Cuba can be sinister on their own.

• Like 1

Well, if this ends up being some type of covert ultrasonic harassment which affects Embassy personels' ability to function and/or cause hearing loss... than its an attack as sure as shoving an ice pick in someone's ear, though not as dramatic.

If...If that's the case, that seems a cruel way to get rid of adversarial Embassy people.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like there was more than one incident

WASHINGTON (AP) — Mysterious incidents affecting the health of American diplomats in Cuba continued as recently as August, the United States said Friday, despite earlier U.S. assessments that the attacks had long stopped. The U.S. increased its tally of government personnel affected to 19.

The new U.S. disclosures came the same day that the union representing American diplomats said mild traumatic brain injury was among the diagnoses given to diplomats victimized in the attacks. In the most detailed account of the symptoms to date, the American Foreign Service Association said permanent hearing loss was another diagnosis, and that additional symptoms had included brain swelling, severe headaches, loss of balance and “cognitive disruption.”

At the State Department, spokeswoman Heather Nauert said the U.S. was continually revising its assessments of the scope of the attacks as new information was obtained. She said the investigation had not been completed.

“We can confirm another incident which occurred last month and is now part of the investigation,” Nauert said.

http://wtop.com/latin-america/2017/09/us-diplomats-union-cuba-attacks-caused-mild-brain-injury/

• Like 1

US reveals details of recent 'sonic attack' on Cuba diplomats

A suspected acoustic attack on US embassy staff in Cuba was reported as recently as last month, US officials have revealed.

It was originally thought that the incidents had ended several months ago.

The US State Department also said the number of staff who have reported health problems had increased to 19.

It comes as the union representing diplomatic staff says some victims suffered mild brain injuries and permanent hearing loss.

Cuba has denied any involvement in the attacks and says it is investigating the reports.

US embassy staff and at least one Canadian began to notice symptoms late last year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41133855

Cuba acoustic attack: What is a covert sound weapon?

The US state department says its diplomats in Cuba have been suffering symptoms including hearing loss after suspected sonic attacks, some of which were - according to some reports - inaudible to human ears.

The use of sound as a weapon is not new, but what about unheard sound attacks?
What damage can sound do?

If you've ever heeded the warning to wear ear plugs to a loud concert, you have been taking care of the hair cells in your inner ear that pick up noise and send it to the brain. You've been trying to avoid hearing loss or tinnitus (ringing in the ears).

But sound can have effects that go beyond hearing.

Symptoms of a sonic attack may include dizziness, headaches, vomiting, bowel spasms, vertigo, permanent hearing loss and even brain damage.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41047721

• Like 2

So much weirdness going on.

• Like 3

Sonic attack? Headaches, vomiting, and hearing loss? Sounds like someone must have been playing The Chainsmokers.

Edited by Carnoferox
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

So much weirdness going on.

nothing weird about it. I think the Russian's have a new toy and they're playing embassy war with America.

• Like 1

Sonic attack? Those damn hedgehogs!! :angry: 

• Like 8

Why do we even have an Embassy there? Cuba offers nothing but Hate, let's pull out and re-affirm the lock-out in trade. 

• Like 1

Or of course, and has anyone thought about this, these lot are famous for using sonic weapons: Ice Warriors

1 minute ago, AnchorSteam said:

Why do we even have an Embassy there? Cuba offers nothing but Hate, let's pull out and re-affirm the lock-out in trade. 

the policy that's been so successful since 1959? Possibly if the giant country 60 miles away had been trying to overthrow you and assassinate your leader for 60-odd years, you might nurse some resentment towards the giant country.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

nothing weird about it. I think the Russian's have a new toy and they're playing embassy war with America.

don';t be an idiot, they put the President of America in office!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

the policy that's been so successful since 1959? Possibly if the giant country 60 miles away had been trying to overthrow you and assassinate your leader for 60-odd years, you might nurse some resentment towards the giant country.

I couldn't give a damn less about any of that crap.

Are you saying that half-century old junk like that justifies a Terrorist campaign to maim and torture our Diplomats? 

Civilized behavior is a prerequisite for Diplomatic contact, Yes or no?

This is not civilized behavior, and today Cuba is trying to get something from us, namely an open door to trade... apparently having access to the entire rest of the world's economy isn't enough to save them from the abject poverty their system creates for them. This is a pretty stupid way to do it, and I would not order anyone to go to that embassy because I would not go there myself with this going on.

Would YOU?

Hold on a minute.. lets think about this ? 

What possible  benefit is it to the Cuban state to injure US diplomats ? Policy is set in Washington, not the Cuban Embassy 

1 hour ago, RoofGardener said:

Hold on a minute.. lets think about this ? 

What possible  benefit is it to the Cuban state to injure US diplomats ? Policy is set in Washington, not the Cuban Embassy 

i think that Russia has taken over the duties of the olde USSR or at least some of them. Maybe Cuba and Russia have an interest in helping each other out. 

42 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

i think that Russia has taken over the duties of the olde USSR or at least some of them. Maybe Cuba and Russia have an interest in helping each other out. 

To do WHAT, exactly ? Injure a few diplomatic staff ? They will just be replaced. What is the gain ? 

And anyway, how is this even technically possible ? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

To do WHAT, exactly ? Injure a few diplomatic staff ? They will just be replaced. What is the gain ? 

And anyway, how is this even technically possible ? 

The same reason Vladimir v. Putin, the world's all-purpose #1 Monster, does anything; just because he can, because he's that evil. And mad. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Cuba did this  I don't know why we normalized relations with them.  Then again we do business with China.

• Like 1