Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scott expedition cake found 'almost' edible

Still Waters

A 100-year-old fruit cake has been found in the oldest building in Antarctica and those who discovered it think it looks fresh.

The cake is believed to date to Robert Falcon Scott's Terra Nova Expedition between 1910 and 1913.

Although the tin containing the cake was rusted and falling apart, the cake inside "looked and smelt (almost) edible" according to the Antarctic Heritage Trust.

http://news.sky.com/story/scott-expedition-cake-found-near-south-pole-almost-edible-10983106

• Like 3

I first heard about Scott's expedition in the geography class at school (that was the 5th grade, if I'm not wrong). The teacher read us an excerpt from the Scott's diary, and I clearly remember how the tragedy of the expedition shocked me. There was something so strangely beautiful in their failure, in that desperate and tragic attempt to come home. It's probably then I understood that winning is not everything, but leaving a trace in human hearts is much more important.

• Like 4

This cake is probably much older than that.

They are constantly re-gifted at Christmas. This one probably made the rounds of Scott's social acquaintances for decades before he finally succeeded in ridding himself of it by burying it under several feet of ice and snow at the most desolate place on the planet.

Harte

• Like 5

I suspect the cake was probably donated by Huntley and Palmer specifically for the expedition. The keeping qualities of the British fruit cake are well known. Multi- tiered wedding cakes usually had the smallest tier kept in storage to be used as the christening cake for the first child, which was not always just a year later!

• Like 1

I love fruit cake, I make them often and I would love to try a piece of this fruit cake, it looks delicious , I can almost smell it x

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Ozfactor said:

I love fruit cake, I make them often and I would love to try a piece of this fruit cake, it looks delicious , I can almost smell it x

Me too. :D

Wasn't it just last week they found a fruitcake on the Titanic that was still edible?

On 2017-8-13 at 10:12 PM, simplybill said:

Wasn't it just last week they found a fruitcake on the Titanic that was still edible?

If it's fruitcakes you want just attend a Momentum rally.