Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Was "God" the origin of our species?

nephili

What was the catalyst for our evolution? Was it "God"? Did "God" use evolution or other forms of science to modify primates? Did the Genesis creation happen(or any other religious explanation)?

What are your beliefs in how humanity came to be?

What purpose would a higher being have with creating humanity?

• Like 2

I think of it as a source. Maybe some type of force that was the catalyst. 

But if it's actually conscious, then I think it can't be perfect and benign, because existence isn't. 

That's when I get to thinking juvenile being and ant farm. Does it do it for power, glory and adoration? 

So then you have to hope there's something higher than that. Some sort of  "cosmic grown-up," who's like...ugh...I told you ya couldn't have pets. Well, now they're here. It just has to run its course. Don't make any more. 

• Like 1

On another note, maybe there's some universal consciousness that everything alive was a part of. And then something broke it apart and put us all here. 

The higher elements of the consciousness didn't like the idea. They're the "cosmic grown-up" parts. 

Hopefully, we eventually get back to that unity, if there is indeed such a unity. 

• Like 2

I don't think people need to become ascetic and view everything as evil. Just kind of take existence with a grain of salt, because maybe it isn't everything. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

So then you have to hope there's something higher than that. Some sort of  "cosmic grown-up," who's like...ugh...I told you ya couldn't have pets. Well, now they're here. It just has to run its course. Don't make any more. 

I seriously love this. The "cosmic grown up" is freakin brilliant. I've never heard it put like that.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, nephili said:

To drive you nuts with endless questions which have answers, but won't be answered with satisfaction until you give up thinking literally about what is true and what is false.

• Like 1

Just now, nephili said:

I seriously love this. The "cosmic grown up" is freakin brilliant. I've never heard it put like that.

Thanks. 

It would be nice to think there was a "grown up consciousness" somewhere in the mix. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Will Due said:

To drive you nuts with endless questions which have answers, but won't be answered with satisfaction until you give up thinking literally about what is true and what is false.

I'll agree with that to an extent, Frank Zappa.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, nephili said:

What was the catalyst for our evolution? Was it "God"? Did "God" use evolution or other forms of science to modify primates? Did the Genesis creation happen(or any other religious explanation)?

What if we are the product of panspermia? Perhaps an as of yet unknown element set things in motion? It's not a question that can be readily answered by anyone, neither science (yet) or religion (at all). If there is a god like being I see evolution as the mechanism for life, so that life survives in some form, human or not. Life itself would be "important".

I like the idea of panspermia or a "chemical X" that started all life on earth. I also feel that perhaps the whole universe is filled with life, but it's highly unlikely that we'll every come in contact with it. Perhaps the fossil remains but I'm not holding my breath.

Perhaps the answer is: Because it could. Maybe there is no reason at all. We are a sentient part of the cosmos? Something that was going to happen anyway. 

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, nephili said:

species adapt to a changing environment or a better environment.  (Besides, mentioning God and evolution in the same sentence, tends to negate God, who said we were made in his image)

Think about this, this creature is the Whales ancestor

071220220241_1_540x360.jpg

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/12/071220220241.htm

Now why would a creature like that evolve into the whales we see today?  What was the benefit?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, nephili said:

I have a non-dual (God and creation are not-two) worldview, so everything is ultimately done by God/Brahman. But more specifically I believe intelligent beings were involved in the seeding of the earth with life. And even more specifically I believe 100,000 to 200,000 intelligent beings augmented the genes of the most promising of many hominid species to produce modern man.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, papageorge1 said:

I have a non-dual (God and creation are not-two) worldview, so everything is ultimately done by God/Brahman. But more specifically I believe intelligent beings were involved in the seeding of the earth with life. And even more specifically I believe 100,000 to 200,000 intelligent beings augmented the genes of the most promising of many hominid species to produce modern man.

Life started with tiny single celled organisms...no animal that exists today including man has a separate beginning

Many different life forms existed before man,,,,   man was a later arrival in the grand scheme of things

All Species Evolved From Single Cell, Study Finds
Creationism called "absolutely horrible hypothesis"—statistically speaking.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/05/100513-science-evolution-darwin-single-ancestor/

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I actually ran across a very interesting article just a week or so ago that mentioned panspermia in a very similar way. Very interesting.

It basically said life(or the building blocks of) is spread throughout the universe. It is a consequence of the universe and always exists when the conditions are right. Like grass seed. They fly through the air and ever time they land in a spot suitable with proper conditions, they grow and reproduce. If they land in an uninhabitable spot, they die and that's all.

The article went on to say every time life hits the right conditions, it spawns primitive single cell life with the ability to terra form any planet through it's genetics to become the creator of the next evolutionary step. Step by step creating a world for the next step. Single cell to multiple cell, plants to produce the oxygen, animals to consume the oxygen and so in and it continues until it is stopped. Sometimes it's allowed to progress to advanced beings. Sometimes it is stopped and it's blown into space again searching for another place to potentially start the process all over.

I think it is one of the best explanations I have come across for the beginnings. It makes life a very mundane thing. Like spherical planets. Just a consequence of the universe. Not special.

Edited by nephili
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, seeder said:

Life started with tiny single celled organisms...no animal that exists today including man has a separate beginning

Many different life forms existed before man,,,,   man was a later arrival in the grand scheme of things

I understand that. I was going back to seeding of even that cell. I was going back to entry of DNA onto this planet.

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

more specifically I believe 100,000 to 200,000 intelligent beings

Why between these numbers?

Just now, nephili said:

Why between these numbers?

From the explanations of those who I have come to believe have a psychic knowledge of past events.

3 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

From the explanations of those who I have come to believe have a psychic knowledge of past events.

a very flaky thing to believe.... we have the actual fossil records...there to be seen for real

In the God story we were created on the 6th day after God made the world. We KNOW this cannot possibly be true, due to evolution.... and all the life that came before us is never mentioned in the God story

• Like 5

Mortal man is evolved for the purpose of becoming perfect, from an almost absolutely imperfect beginning.

In the eternal future there will forever be a need for beings like us, who've survived and overcome all difficulties, to minister to beings who don't yet exist and will be born in conditions probably more challenging even than the free will experience we are blessed with to master.

"From the Universal Father who inhabits eternity there has gone forth the supreme mandate, "Be you perfect, even as I am perfect." 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, seeder said:

a very flaky thing to believe.... we have the actual fossil records...there to be seen for real

I think you are misunderstanding me. I do not deny the fossil record. I said man was genetically augmented by intelligent beings from the most promising existing hominid.

14 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I understand that. I was going back to seeding of even that cell. I was going back to entry of DNA onto this planet.

RNA was first

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I think you are misunderstanding me. I do not deny the fossil record. I said man was genetically augmented by intelligent beings from the most promising existing hominid.

man is also the only creature that is killing the planet and has huge wars. Intelligent beings should have forseen that

15 minutes ago, seeder said:

RNA was first

Same idea

2 minutes ago, seeder said:

man is also the only creature that is killing the planet and has huge wars. Intelligent beings should have forseen that

We are the only species capable of large effects. Using intelligence is a learning process.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Will Due said:

Mortal man is evolved for the purpose of becoming perfect, from an almost absolutely imperfect beginning.

In the eternal future there will forever be a need for beings like us, who've survived and overcome all difficulties, to minister to beings who don't yet exist and will be born in conditions probably more challenging even than the free will experience we are blessed with to master.

"From the Universal Father who inhabits eternity there has gone forth the supreme mandate, "Be you perfect, even as I am perfect." 

And what is perfect? 

2 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

Lost me at the intelligent beings part, but i have a non duality view of creator is creation.

And in this view "what if" is constantly asked and expanded upon by creation. 

Why would we be here? For the experiences. Uploaded to the memory of creation.

• Like 1