Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Was "God" the origin of our species?

nephili

18 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Nephili, I've got to bow out of this thread. It's getting too ridiculous even for me. I hope you find what you're looking for but I doubt you ever will. Good luck.

Thank you for your contribution, Sir :)

Edited by nephili

4 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Will Due is preaching again.

No, I'm being preached at.

How dare anyone suggest that the creation of man occurred by way of the science of evolution and that it's per God's plan.

Why that's just pure scientific blasphemy. 

3 minutes ago, Will Due said:

No, I'm being preached at.

How dare anyone suggest that the creation of man occurred by way of the science of evolution and that it's per God's plan.

Why that's just pure scientific blasphemy. 

Actually, I gave you kudos for at least acknowledging evolution. 

Although, we both know why you give it any credence.

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 1

On 8/11/2017 at 9:33 AM, Will Due said:

Mortal man is evolved for the purpose of becoming perfect, from an almost absolutely imperfect beginning.

In the eternal future there will forever be a need for beings like us, who've survived and overcome all difficulties, to minister to beings who don't yet exist and will be born in conditions probably more challenging even than the free will experience we are blessed with to master.

"From the Universal Father who inhabits eternity there has gone forth the supreme mandate, "Be you perfect, even as I am perfect." 

I'll tell yo what, so far we have exterminated a lot more species than we have ministered.  I would not like my odds as an emerging species with humans to minister to me.  History would indicate they would exploit me like cattle or exterminate me like the buffalo.

There was a time when an Irish bishop proclaimed that a rabbit has a white tail to make it easier for man to shoot it.  Perhaps we will grow past the stage in which we believe all things were designed for our benefit.  Perhaps we will even grow past the stage in which believe we were destined for some higher purpose than to live, enjoy life, learn, and reproduce.

• Like 3

Perhaps we will grow past the stage when we need a cosmic parent in the darkness and can face whatever comes as a responsible species and deal with it as best we can.  No guilt, no blame.  If we are the children of pan-sperma, we are one among many and maybe no more special that the billions of G type stars like our sun that foster life.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Will Due said:

Reading what critics have written about the Urantia Book (who haven't read it in its entirety themselves) and judging the book that way, is evasion. 

No it isn't and this is just more evasion piled on top of your previous evasion .

Of the many people who've discovered the Urantia Book, few have read it in its entirety I'm pretty sure. There's nothing wrong with that. Like I said in another post, it's a long read, a tome of 2097 pages and anyone who looks at it will immediately recognize that absorbing all that it says will surely change everything one has thought to be real.

That is actually a wild postulation and based on you projecting your own experience on to others .

And what does it even mean ?     One can read a book that has 90% great philosophy, and ethics and other things. but if its science is proved wrong, why should one also have to "change everything one believes' and re adopt some old outdated science from the time the book was written.

You are clearly trying to defend your belief system here with a very faulty logic .

And that's a large order. This is why some would rather, after giving up on the process of reading it entirely, write derogatory criticisms of it instead. It's just common human behavior stuff. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Its not a derogatory criticism, its an observation that its science is wrong .   This is a fault with many modern people, and I also find it a common fault with some Australians, but also many of our friends in the USA ... that is, they take a pointed out mistake as some type of personal attack .

If its wrong  -   its wrong !  That is a fact and NOT a derogatory comment .

The problem with not reading it in its entirety is that the big picture the book conveys, will be missing very import pieces of the puzzle's image. I think you can understand the gist of this. And although the main message of the book is simple, new things the human mind has never imagined are defined within its pages and a lot of these new things are referred to up front using terms not found in the English language which are not defined until later down the line in its various narratives.

Agreed, but this has nothing to do with the science being wrong .   Those are matters of religion, cosmology and philosophy .

You give bad answers trying to defend your book . Rather you should be just admitting the wrong science and saying "but the philosophy and cosmology of the book is good"

By trying to shore up your own belief system, you are making the UB look bad .

The Urantia Book describes in outline fashion the full extent of the initiation and evolution of life on our planet. From the evolution of the planet itself by way of our sun out of the Andronover nebula, all the way through the specific life forms that led to the evolution of the first human beings, about a million years ago.

So as to the question of God being the origin of our species, why not read from the Urantia Book, a book that describes the God of the Universe in no uncertain terms, what it has to say about the evolution of man?

Here's the link to that part of the book:

http://bigbluebook.org/62/

That's a better response  ....  then the above 'cover up ' .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Will Due said:

Off topic here.

It has been reported that Carl Sagan was a Urantia Book reader. Supposedly, he based his novel Contact on what he read in the Urantia Book. 

and it is also reported that I was a Urantia Book reader ( and a UG readers group member and UB conference 'paper' presenter     ... so what ? 

Carl isn't holding up the book and thumping it , is he ?       Bit offers a   better example of  western religious cosmology than other similar systems, many western cosmologists have read it .   That is the area where they and myself, find interest.

You got hooked by the more detailed 'life of Jesus' section ... the chance to experience Jesus life day to day, events, occurrences and conversations with Jesus  ( and that also is much more detailed than the normal sources, like the cosmology )  ... and, I do believe that is the part that 'got you in' .

Now, what about this UB thread you are supposed be making ?

Or does the idea of that make you nervous ?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Will Due said:

"Sooner or later, such a religion will emerge."

- Carl Sagan

Look at your hand. Wiggle your finger. To think that your hand exists by accident, without design nor purpose, that it doesn't mean anything that a person is in control of it because of their free will and the possession of a sane functioning mind. That's absurd.

that's a strawman .

You assume I and others think that way, .... as a counter to what you think  ...   then criticise it .

It is , yet again, a construct of being trapped in 'lineal thinking of cause and effect'     something can  come to exist  without it being an 'accident' .. it can be a 'development' , and over millennia development upon development stimulated by need, environment, 'necessity' , etc  can become complex, also it need not have 'purpose' ... of course my hand has purpose !  :wacko: 

You make an absurd postulation,,, then you go ;   " That's absurd "

Well, yeah it is,    but its you that is making up that stance and position !

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nephili said:

Frank Zappa, you're pretty funny ^_^

What do you think Frank  zappa  thought about the UB  ;) 

2 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

Oh play innocent now. Lol.

You know you've been quoting the thing left and right and preaching hard. Especially, at me, for some reason. 

Well,,,, he certainly aint gonna argue with me about it .... considering my background !   :D      ( Same reason he refuses to put up that UB thread   ;) )

• Like 1

1 minute ago, back to earth said:

Well,,,, he certainly aint gonna argue with me about it .... considering my background !   :D      ( Same reason he refuses to put up that UB thread   ;) )

I'm not sure if he just doesn't know how to start his own thread or what?

Or maybe he secretly knows no one wants to discuss his book. 

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

I don't need to read all of Mein Kampf to know that it's a bunch of bs. I don't need to read the entire Scientology library to know it's a bunch of bs. 

It is in fact very easy to tell by reading the critiques. 

You contend that it's a book like no other. 

I say you're wrong. It's a book like any other, and it has its faults. You've just blinded yourself to them because you are so married to the idea that you've found The One Truth. 

Actually....scientology can teach you some interesting things.... Wouldnt get on board with that load, but very insightful as a study.

The UB, i think i have read enough. Wish ya well Will, tunnel vision really burns.

4 hours ago, Will Due said:

"Sooner or later, such a religion will emerge."

- Carl Sagan

Look at your hand. Wiggle your finger. To think that your hand exists by accident, without design nor purpose, that it doesn't mean anything that a person is in control of it because of their free will and the possession of a sane functioning mind. That's absurd.

We don't fully comprehend time scales.Average life span is say 80yrs? ..its all we have. All you have.All we directly experience.Everything else is from what we are taught, what we read and what we watch on screen.Trying to understand 540million yrs ago, the period of the Cambrian explosion is really beyond our understanding. The human hand is the result of millions of years of evolution by selection. The ability to close and make a fist, to manufacture and hold tools were large drivers for this. A creator isn't necessary only time is....years  and years of it...billions and billions and billions...

• Like 4

7 hours ago, XenoFish said:

My mind is open enough not the use the "It's god, I ain't gotta explain ****." excuse.

In all of my posts, where and when have I ever espoused such a belief?  If you think so then you haven’t been paying attention because you have a closed mind.  I acknowledge that GOD “did it” but in no way am I satisfied with that as an answer.  It’s not an answer.  Even GOD doesn’t want that.  I want to decipher the secrets of the Universe.  God did it is a given, how and why are the unknowns.  GOD challenged Man’s curiosity and Adam turned around and created science by initially naming the animals.  We see this in Genesis 2:19-20.  Science and religion are not opposites or enemies.

11 hours ago, khol said:

quote-a-religion-old-or-new-that-stressed-the-magnificence-of-the-universe-as-revealed-by-modern-carl-sagan-350528.jpg

I believe that he is confused here as are most people.  The confusion comes in the use of a term.  That term is Christianity.  What Sagan had taken exception to is the power of the Catholic Church vs the knowledge and faith of Christianity.  The Church is well known for suppression of science in its past.  The faith is one with science.

11 hours ago, Will Due said:

It has been reported that Carl Sagan was a Urantia Book reader. Supposedly, he based his novel Contact on what he read in the Urantia Book.

Only a Christian at heart could have written Contact.