Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Last time God intervened in the World?

Ozymandias

I have never understood that if god is the benevolent force he is purported to be, and he loves all mankind, and we are his creation, why does he continue to let those who have no faith continue on their merry way?  I know all about the 'free will' stuff but that is just a cop  out, IMO.  Why does He allow some of his creation to not have the 'faith gene' and leave them to head for the 'eternal damnation'?  The answer I have come to is that He doesn't exist - certainly not in the way the traditional Judaic/Christian bible depicts.  I have always been interested in religion and have considered it a lot over my seven decades on this Earth.  My conclusion is that is all man made and myth and fairytale - initially a way to maintain power and wealth (priesthood/shamans) control the masses and/or explain that which they couldn't explain through scientific means all those years ago.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

I'd say... EVERYDAY. 

God is kind of like a high quality chef. He can't help but keep adding a pinch of something here and tending with a spoon over there, and then tasting it to see what has happened.

Everyday.

tell that to the 30million + who die each year of hunger

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, khol said:

tell that to the 30million + who die each year of hunger

That is a Human issue. If God did miraculously drop food on those people, would He be saving them, or just extending their grief. God would have to rebuild their societies, their nations, their cultures. He could do that, but doing so would ruin any illusions of free will those people have.

Anyway, I've read it is closer to 10 million. 98% of those who are starving are in the developing countries. Mostly in South Asia and Africa. Where their nations basically allow it to happen. Starvation is usually due to poverty, which is usually due to their nations leadership. There is evil in the world, and God will not fix it all.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

If god gave me the ability to feed myself why would I need to run to him every time things got tough, all I need to do is be thankful that I have the resources and ability to live a life, to me god is the process of being in the world and making it a part of my life. Even if I don't see the point.

jmccr8

You do have that ability. God doesn't feed everyone. He lets us feed ourselves. He lets us do basically whatever we want.

I do believe God is involved in our world every day though. Perhaps not in throwing down a Flood, or turning people into pillars of salt, but in subtle ways that look like the random actions of the background noise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DieChecker said:

That is a Human issue. If God did miraculously drop food on those people, would He be saving them, or just extending their grief. God would have to rebuild their societies, their nations, their cultures. He could do that, but doing so would ruin any illusions of free will those people have.

Anyway, I've read it is closer to 10 million. 98% of those who are starving are in the developing countries. Mostly in South Asia and Africa. Where their nations basically allow it to happen. Starvation is usually due to poverty, which is usually due to their nations leadership. There is evil in the world, and God will not fix it all.

Of course its a human issue. Its always been a human issue and always will be a human issue.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, khol said:

Of course its a human issue. Its always been a human issue and always will be a human issue.

Well I'm 3 hrs into today and still can't like. LIKE

jmccr8

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kismit said:

So just the Judea Christian God. What about if people believe in a God that is infact based on the Judean Christian concept but don't associate themselves with a religion? Is their God an acceptable one for this debate?

That is my God. Like the Judeo-Christian God, my god does not interfere in men's affairs sending floods and plagues. Ask yourself why he doesn't exercise his divinity to prevent floods, tsunamis, famines, epidemics, etc.

I intended this thread as a means of presenting a philosophic, non-scientific, argument against the concept of the Judeo-Christian god. This would further strengthen my scientific refutation of thr veracity of the Biblical Flood in my other thread elsewhere on this forum.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kismit said:

I'm only playing devils advocate here my God is not a beimg, nor is it involved in the affairs of humans. It is merely the substance of exsistence. I would sugest without the input of what I view as God there would be no planet, no humans, no universe. 

That is my god, too. And I agree. But that is not an interfering god, is it?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

You do have that ability. God doesn't feed everyone. He lets us feed ourselves. He lets us do basically whatever we want.

I do believe God is involved in our world every day though. Perhaps not in throwing down a Flood, or turning people into pillars of salt, but in subtle ways that look like the random actions of the background noise.

To me god is the ability to see life and evolve through it, god doesn't have a personality of form. god is us in our glorified thoughts., life what is it, what can I make it be the best it can be even with those that do not see the end that I see. To me god has no form or personality, other people give him(it) dimensions and duties. for me god is all that there is, a word to define a concept of being in the world. A cause to question myself, a motive to think, create and be in the world, no other body than my perception of being in the world with other people in the world no matter how they perceive being in the world as a unity or an exception.

jmccr8

Edited by jmccr8
structure
  • Like 2

To answer the OP in the manner he asked the question..... some claim there were many miracles in the 6 day war.... or the Jews v the Arabs. Much has been written about the war with MANY claims of miracles taking place.... perhaps you can find time to watch the vid? This is just a short taster vid, a much better one, tho an hour long is available....and no, Im not jewish, nor pro Israel... its just VERY OFTEN touted as Six Days of Miracles

Six Days of Miracles

How the Six-Day War Transformed Religion

Six perspectives on how the 1967 Arab-Israeli conflict changed Islam, Judaism, Christianity, and Mormonism

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2017/06/how-the-six-day-war-changed-religion/528981/

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

That is my God. Like the Judeo-Christian God, my god does not interfere in men's affairs sending floods and plagues. Ask yourself why he doesn't exercise his divinity to prevent floods, tsunamis, famines, epidemics, etc.

I intended this thread as a means of presenting a philosophic, non-scientific, argument against the concept of the Judeo-Christian god. This would further strengthen my scientific refutation of thr veracity of the Biblical Flood in my other thread elsewhere on this forum.

There is a typo in the above-quoted post of mine: I don't know how to edit it. The second sentence should begin with the word 'unlike', not 'like'.

This short by the Oats Studios, on Youtube, deals with God interacting with humans. It is irreverent, but funny.

Edited by DieChecker

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

That is my god, too. And I agree. But that is not an interfering god, is it?

It's a necisarry God. You could argue that this God is working everyday to benefit the people of Earth.

44 minutes ago, Kismit said:

It's a necisarry God. You could argue that this God is working everyday to benefit the people of Earth.

Of course you could but looking at all those millions who live miserable lives and die of disease epidemics, war and starvation one cannot but wonder what benefit is intended.  Do you also claim he caused the Biblical Flood?

Only last week God intervened to divert a 12 mile wide asteroid that was on collision course with Pyongyang.

He also swatted a small fly that was carrying a new genetic mutation of zika virus and bird 'flu, which, had said fly managed to enter the White House and bite the President, would have led to his certain, indefinite, incapacitation including the inability to speak or wave his arms.

Why God does such things when clearly leaving well alone would make the world a much better place, no-one knows .....

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Essan said:

Only last week God intervened to divert a 12 mile wide asteroid that was on collision course with Pyongyang.

He also swatted a small fly that was carrying a new genetic mutation of zika virus and bird 'flu, which, had said fly managed to enter the White House and bite the President, would have led to his certain, indefinite, incapacitation including the inability to speak or wave his arms.

Why God does such things when clearly leaving well alone would make the world a much better place, no-one knows .....

You seem to know a lot about what god did last week. Where do you get your information?

• Like 1

"My name is OZYMANDIAS, King of Kings."
    Look on my works ye Mighty, and despair!
    No thing beside remains. Round the decay
    Of that Colossal Wreck, boundless and bare,
    The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Percy Bysshe Shelley (1792-1822)

~

[00.03:54]

~

... watched the movie Covenant last night ... maybe that's where god intervened eh ?

• Like 1

It's such a shame Xenofish is missing this ....... the thread will probably be closed by the time he gets back.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

It's such a shame Xenofish is missing this ....... the thread will probably be closed by the time he gets back.

176007-epicurus-god-quote.jpg

If I assume god is real then.

It is god that gave my wife the genetics that allowed her to have cancer.

It is god that created the doctors who treat my wife for her cancer.

It is god who created the cancer in the first place. 

It is god that created all things, good and evil.

Then it is not a god of love, not a god of hate. It is a god of creation and we are just experiments in the lab. No love, no hate, just a lab rat.

If I am to assume that god does not  exist, then all these things are simply life and the nature of how things work. No matter how much I may plead with nature, it will not hear my call nor answer my prayers. It will do what it has always done regardless of my feelings.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Of course you could but looking at all those millions who live miserable lives and die of disease epidemics, war and starvation one cannot but wonder what benefit is intended.  Do you also claim he caused the Biblical Flood?

firstly I would have to believe in the Bible's stories. Then I would have to consider the hypothetical, is the , thing I call God responsible for the wearher? I don't believe it is sentient so culpable resposibilty is off the cards.

Hmmmm... most likely not.

21 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Fact is, mate, 'he' obviously doesn't exist in your mind! Does that mean 'he' doesn't exist outside it? 

Didn't 'he' cause the Biblical Flood and supervise Noah in building an Ark? That effected all humanity.

You know, that area was rather flood prone.  The story may have been about a localized disaster.   I live in a hurricane zone. When a part of the state has a storm, people who are on the edge of the storm will talk like the hurricane wasn't all that bad, but the people in the center of the storm will tell you it was a mega disaster.  People outside the state think the state has blown away.   It all depends on your perspective.  People back then didn't have the news to tell them what is going on the other side of planet.  When they wrote a story about a world flood, got to remember for most of the ancestors the world wasn't much more than a 50 square miles. 

• Like 2

On 11.8.2017 at 10:50 PM, Ozymandias said:

When was the last time God stuck his nose into human affairs? I do not mean interfering in one person's or a couple of people's life but did something that effected all humanity.

Why did he bother?

Why hasn't he bothered since?

He?  People think of God as a gender? Well, to narrow it down as this is not unusual. But the choices we make and the thoughts we think are a result of this narrowing, because we are not open minded and use our ability to believe to imagine. What if every breath we take is a choice of God? Is that enough for making an effort? And maybe paying attention to this breath can learn us something? And if we all learn something important like the importance of peace, could we benefit from it, could it affect us all every moment? It is a choice we all have. I think.

Edited by Skirnum

21 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Pretty sure that they were praying to the same god, they just made out better and Joan was just the pep team that they executed later.

jmccr8

My question was rather that,without gods influence on joan (real or in the mind)  could joan have inspired the french as she did ?

MAny argue that we dont need  god to be all we can be, but would joan ever have been all she could be without god in her mind and heart? 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

If god gave me the ability to feed myself why would I need to run to him every time things got tough, all I need to do is be thankful that I have the resources and ability to live a life, to me god is the process of being in the world and making it a part of my life. Even if I don't see the point.

jmccr8

Another might assume that god did indeed give you, not just life, but every human skill and abilty required for your survival and success. It is understandable that we take credit for our skills and resiliencies etc  but it is only one perspective.

Actually i am not sure if i understand exactly what you are saying here Do you feel god should supply your every need, or do you consider that he has, by giving you the skills to meet them?  

• The topic was locked