Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sep 23, 2017 - planetary alignment

Indiogene

On 8/26/2017 at 3:02 PM, rashore said:

Gosh, you and I are talking about different Jubilees.

I'm speaking of the official June War Jubilee that happened in 1967. This was an official event this year.

What you are speaking of is a bit more fringe. It's mostly ignored by practicing Jews, and the group and dating by it hasn't been recognized at all by official religious sources. At best the new year does go down on sundown of Sept 22, and so you are mostly right that sunrise on Sept 23 could be called the new year dawning.

Actually, it's the sundown of the 20th....

https://www.hebcal.com/hebcal/?c=off&d=on&maj=on&min=on&mod=on&month=x&nx=on&o=on&v=1&vis=on&year=2017&yt=G#cal-2017-09

Edited by Opus Magnus
  • Like 1

hmm.

i'm thoroughly confused on this.

which only seems appropriate.

well done all!

• Like 1

I remember once when the planets lined up, sometime in the early 90s, I think. I had taken my telescope out to the top of Loma Prieta to set up and do some stargazing. The dirt road started where Highland Rd stopped and there was a gate there that was rarely shut (I knew the code so it didn't matter much).

Just as the sun was setting, some woman came driving up to me all hysterical (and raising dust all over the place). She'd been driving around to find some group paying homage to the planetary lineup (I think that's what she said) and now the gate was shut and she was locked in. I went and let her out and reflected that believing silly things is what gets people into trouble in the first place.

Once she was gone, I had a pretty good night stargazing.

• Like 2