Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can science prove or disprove "God"?

nephili

1 minute ago, Sherapy said:

Stop it, you speak way to highly of me. I am gonna take this as your gift of gab. 

Thank you for devoting a  paragraph to me, I am truly honored and unworthy. 

Geez, you are a natural born writer of the genius type. 

I have read a lot of Literature in my life and you belong on the shelf with the greats.  

You should read Leaves of Grass, by Walt Whitman. I'm not worthy to stand in his shadow.

• Like 2

Jeeze wtf is going on with you too?

16 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

I am humbled by your praise, but is you, oh Woman, womb-bearer, giver of life who has given life and whose light shines brightly for all the world to see,

8 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

etc etc etc

Mods, can you move all this smutty stuff to a private room .,,,,i am still trying to digest my dinner.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Stop it, you speak way to highly of me. I am gonna take this as your gift of gab. 

Geez, you are a natural born writer of the genius type. 

I have read a lot of Literature in my life and you belong on the shelf with the greats.  

Unworthy? I gave you no high praise only the truth, so accept that simple truth of you your own existence. If I exalt it to the heavens, then so be it. It is but a faint echo of the love in the heart of the one you hold most dear.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

etc etc etc

Mods, can you move all this smutty stuff to a private room .,,,,i am still trying to digest my dinner.

You can put me on ignore if you like, ma'am. "Some girls don't like boys like me. Ah, but some girls do."

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

You should read Leaves of Grass, by Walt Whitman. I'm not worthy to stand in his shadow.

I have studied Leaves of Grass, you are worthy to be thought of in that vein. 

I love Whitman. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Sherapy said:
3 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

I see there is much talk of roads in life, debates of and declarations about which is the best route to take, yet only a few there are who seem mindful of their destination. Some like the high road with their heads in the clouds, looking down their noses from the heights of their own self-esteem, haughty with disdain for those they deem lower than themselves. Some prefer the low road, creeping along quietly, innocuously, inoffensively, making scarcely a ripple in the waters they cross and not a footprint on the path behind them after they've passed. When they have gone on their way, where they have trodden, there's not a trace they had ever been. Some choose the short way, dashing through life impetuously, with little regard for their own safety or well-being or that of others, immersed in the thrill and exhilaration of life streaming by. Some dawdle at the way stops, fixated on a feature of the landscape, obsessed with a certain event of exultation, waiting in vain for one unique moment to repeat itself, to catch a fruit that had already fallen. Then there are they who choose, in my mind, the best path of all, the scenic route, long, winding, sinuous, sometimes steep but more often of a gentle grade, easy on the feet, with wonders and marvels to meet up with and sprawling vistas and astonishing and sweeping panoramas around the occasional turn. It's the longest way, dipping here, in a shady valley, there, cresting a sun-drenched hill. From thence we espy the illimitable horizon, irresistible, beckoning. It requires our constant attention, sometimes easy, sometimes hard, especially when--at last-- our feet grow weary and our footsteps falter. Then, we climb the hill to the city gates at sunset, where we cross the threshold to our final destination, the place where all roads lead, for in that regard alone, all roads are equal. 

Beautiful, geez you can write! I have reread several times it is so wise, in the end it is all the same...

Edited 12 minutes ago by Sherapy

I corrected a typo and added a line. I have to learn to finish editing before posting.:mellow:

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

etc etc etc

Ha ha ha ha we are caregivers, I am a Hospice liaison caregiver ( my lady just passed a week ago today) and Hammer took care of his mom for years and we became good friends, you gotta be a caregiver to get us. Hammer is emotionally celibate to a lady love and I am happily married. 

He is just being a caring friend, for a caregiver who has a broken heart.

Come on Free, Hammer can write!!!!!

We could be in the writers hangout. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

I corrected a typo and added a line. I have to learn to finish editing before posting.:mellow:

Good add to! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Good add to! 

Thank you, but one has to accept a point where one stops, 'else endless elaboration dilutes the message, a lesson George Lucas never learned. (I'm a lousy proof reader.)

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 2

Just now, Hammerclaw said:

Thank you, but one has accept a point where one stops, 'else endless elaboration dilutes the message, a lesson George Lucas never learned.

True, true TTTTTrue. 

Why I prefer Literature. 

• Like 1

In our struggle to interpret the existence or non existence of deity and the meaning to life, whether it be religious or secular, one finds unexpected wisdom in the most curious of places. This is why I highly recommend this book. It is among the most thought-provoking, deeply disturbing and emotionally relevant works of allegorical fiction I ever had the privilege to peruse. A warning; it's a hard read, not because of the way it is written, but because of what it is written. The style is rather beautiful in it's melancholy dissonance.           md19560749484.jpg                                                  

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hammerclaw said:

You can put me on ignore if you like, ma'am. "Some girls don't like boys like me. Ah, but some girls do."

Ignore? Ah no, i will be ok once my dinner has gone down. All that womb-barer and unworthy this and humble  that writing, i could feel a bout of graphophobia coming on.

Carry on you two, i'll leave you to it.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Ignore? Ah no, i will be ok once my dinner has gone down. All that womb-barer and unworthy this and humble  that writing, i could feel a bout of graphophobia coming on.

Carry on you two, i'll leave you to it.

I like you, river woman, you're beautiful.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

I like you, river woman, you're beautiful.

owwww....now i got a bout of ereuthrophobia. :wub:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

I am humbled by your praise, but is you, oh Woman, womb-bearer, giver of life who has given life and whose light shines brightly for all the world to see, It is you whom I envy. You have written in large letters on the pages of life, itself, and your descendants will carry the memory of you in their genome, forever and be as numerous as the blades of the grasses of the field.

Yep, you are definitely the yin and I am the yang.:tu:

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Yep, you are definitely the yin and I am the yang.:tu:

Or are your a Baptist preacher, incognito, mining us heathen for source material for his sermons?:o

• Like 3

Just now, Hammerclaw said:

Or are your a Baptist preacher, incognito, mining us heathen for source material for his sermons?:o

4787801-rick.png

• Like 3

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

4787801-rick.png

D.L, Moody the Fifth. I KNEW IT!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Hammerclaw said:

D.L, Moody the Fifth. I KNEW IT!

You are full of it today my friend. Grab a shovel it's getting deep.:lol:

• Like 4

Just now, XenoFish said:

You are full of it today my friend. Grab a shovel it's getting deep.:lol:

Is that a leisure suit you're wearing? And you call ME old......

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Hammerclaw said:

Is that a leisure suit you're wearing? And you call ME old......

I wouldn't say old, I'd say ancient and do not disrespect my leisure suit. It's made of satan......I mean satin.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I wouldn't say old, I'd say ancient and do not disrespect my leisure suit. It's made of satan......I mean satin.

What do expect from an Optimistical Irrationalist ?

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, freetoroam said:

owwww....now i got a bout of ereuthrophobia. :wub:

Hammies is an equal opp. gift of gab, he will win you over trust me. Lol

The guy has swag and a beautiful heart. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3

On 8/12/2017 at 11:10 PM, nephili said:

Is there a branch of science that could prove or disprove "God" beyond speculation?

As far as I am aware, science does not seek to prove or disprove anything--what it does is measure the strength of evidence against the null hypothesis. If the evidence is in favour of the null, it is accepted; if the evidence doesn't support the null, the null is rejected. Please don't confuse "rejecting" or "accepting" the null as proving the null correct or disproving the null--it just indicates that the evidence at this current time is in favour/not in favour of the null (this is also why there is something called confidence intervals in statistics, and why 100% does not exist).

Thus: no.

Could a type of technology detect or measure "God"?

I'm not sure. I don't believe so, but firstly we would have to know a couple of things, such as...

• What is the definition of "God"? We need to know what we are measuring or trying to detect before we can, you know... detect it.
  • Is such a thing possible given our current understanding of physics?
  • Do we have the means to navigate the entirety of this universe? Given that the universe may very well be infinite, this would imply an infinite amount of time to search... thus we would never, ever know. Assuming a finite universe, we may be able to detect it.

Is there any proof or otherwise of "God"? Anything at all that is beyond just speculative belief or disbelief?

Certainly not. If there was, scientific textbooks/literature would not be as they are today.

I personally believe if "God" exists, science and technology will be able to prove or disprove it.

"Prove it"/"disprove it"? No. Provide enough evidence so as to any notion refuting it would be considered risible (i.e. refuting evolution, law/theory of gravity, etc...)? Possibly, if the universe is not infinite.

• Like 4

It would seem the only thing the proponents of science believe infinite is the ability of man to understand everything, eventually.

• Like 3