Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Will Due

The Urantia Papers

370 posts in this topic

XenoFish
2 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

But somebody has to balance the BS with reality. :)

cormac

Should I call you a Woo Plumber from here on out?

• Haha 1

cormac mac airt
16 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Here's the last part of Paper 58.

7. The Geologic History Book

58:7.1

The vast group of rock systems which constituted the outer crust of the world during the life-dawn or Proterozoic era does not now appear at many points on the earth’s surface. And when it does emerge from below all the accumulations of subsequent ages, there will be found only the fossil remains of vegetable and early primitive animal life. Some of these older water-deposited rocks are commingled with subsequent layers, and sometimes they yield fossil remains of some of the earlier forms of vegetable life, while on the topmost layers occasionally may be found some of the more primitive forms of the early marine-animal organisms. In many places these oldest stratified rock layers, bearing the fossils of the early marine life, both animal and vegetable, may be found directly on top of the older undifferentiated stone.

58:7.2

Fossils of this era yield algae, corallike plants, primitive Protozoa, and spongelike transition organisms. But the absence of such fossils in the early rock layers does not necessarily prove that living things were not elsewhere in existence at the time of their deposition. Life was sparse throughout these early times and only slowly made its way over the face of the earth.

58:7.3

The rocks of this olden age are now at the earth’s surface, or very near the surface, over about one eighth of the present land area. The average thickness of this transition stone, the oldest stratified rock layers, is about one and one-half miles. At some points these ancient rock systems are as much as four miles thick, but many of the layers which have been ascribed to this era belong to later periods.

58:7.4

In North America this ancient and primitive fossil-bearing stone layer comes to the surface over the eastern, central, and northern regions of Canada. There is also an intermittent east-west ridge of this rock which extends from Pennsylvania and the ancient Adirondack Mountains on west through Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. Other ridges run from Newfoundland to Alabama and from Alaska to Mexico.

58:7.5

The rocks of this era are exposed here and there all over the world, but none are so easy of interpretation as those about Lake Superior and in the Grand Canyon of the Colorado River, where these primitive fossil-bearing rocks, existing in several layers, testify to the upheavals and surface fluctuations of those faraway times.

58:7.6

This stone layer, the oldest fossil-bearing stratum in the crust of the earth, has been crumpled, folded, and grotesquely twisted as a result of the upheavals of earthquakes and the early volcanoes. The lava flows of this age brought much iron, copper, and lead up near the planetary surface.

58:7.7

There are few places on the earth where such activities are more graphically shown than in the St. Croix valley of Wisconsin. In this region there occurred one hundred and twenty-seven successive lava flows on land with succeeding water submergence and consequent rock deposition. Although much of the upper rock sedimentation and intermittent lava flow is absent today, and though the bottom of this system is buried deep in the earth, nevertheless, about sixty-five or seventy of these stratified records of past ages are now exposed to view.

In these early ages when much land was near sea level, there occurred many successive submergences and emergences. The earth’s crust was just entering upon its later period of comparative stabilization. The undulations, rises and dips, of the earlier continental drift contributed to the frequency of the periodic submergence of the great land masses.

58:7.9

During these times of primitive marine life, extensive areas of the continental shores sank beneath the seas from a few feet to half a mile. Much of the older sandstone and conglomerates represents the sedimentary accumulations of these ancient shores. The sedimentary rocks belonging to this early stratification rest directly upon those layers which date back far beyond the origin of life, back to the early appearance of the world-wide ocean.

58:7.10

Some of the upper layers of these transition rock deposits contain small amounts of shale or slate of dark colors, indicating the presence of organic carbon and testifying to the existence of the ancestors of those forms of plant life which overran the earth during the succeeding Carboniferous or coal age. Much of the copper in these rock layers results from water deposition. Some is found in the cracks of the older rocks and is the concentrate of the sluggish swamp water of some ancient sheltered shore line. The iron mines of North America and Europe are located in deposits and extrusions lying partly in the older unstratified rocks and partly in these later stratified rocks of the transition periods of life formation.

58:7.11

This era witnesses the spread of life throughout the waters of the world; marine life has become well established on Urantia. The bottoms of the shallow and extensive inland seas are being gradually overrun by a profuse and luxuriant growth of vegetation, while the shore-line waters are swarming with the simple forms of animal life.

58:7.12

All of this story is graphically told within the fossil pages of the vast “stone book” of world record. And the pages of this gigantic biogeologic record unfailingly tell the truth if you but acquire skill in their interpretation. Many of these ancient sea beds are now elevated high upon land, and their deposits of age upon age tell the story of the life struggles of those early days. It is literally true, as your poet has said, “The dust we tread upon was once alive.”

58:7.13

[Presented by a member of the Urantia Life Carrier Corps now resident on the planet.]

Link

Because I've taken the last three parts of Paper 58 out of the context of the whole, here's the link to it from its beginning.

Taking pages from what is predominantly factually incorrect doesn't help your argument in the least. It makes you look extremely uninformed and gullible. Is that what you're striving for? 

cormac

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

cormac mac airt
3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Should I call you a Woo Plumber from here on out?

Just don't call me late for supper, or a last round of drinks. :lol:

cormac

• Haha 4

jaylemurph
18 hours ago, Luis Marco said:

URANTIA: 92:3.2B '... [Religion] has usually become tainted with that persistently mischief-making error, the chosen-people delusion. ...'

And sorry, Guys, i didn't have a computer until today, and i don't write fast with phones nor tablets.

i'll be able to write more often now...

Look, I could sit here all day and quote the scriptures of Our Past Basset Masters, but as it is written, “Only people whose parents both engage in deviant sexual activities with the dead listen not to the words of the Hounds; only the Urania Book is worse than the folly of ignorance.”

—Jaylemurph 

• Haha 1

Luis Marco
10 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

Look, I could sit here all day and quote the scriptures of Our Past Basset Masters, but as it is written, “Only people whose parents both engage in deviant sexual activities with the dead listen not to the words of the Hounds; only the Urania Book is worse than the folly of ignorance.”

—Jaylemurph 

Whatever.

jaylemurph
4 minutes ago, Luis Marco said:

Whatever.

What, you’re the only person ever to discover spiritual truth? Just because mine is drooly and wrinkly with soft, velvety ears, it isn’t equally valid?

Seems like all the “spiritual” people here don’t seem concerned in being decent people. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

XenoFish
1 minute ago, jaylemurph said:

Seems like all the “spiritual” people here don’t seem concerned in being decent people. 

—Jaylemurph 

Thank you. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed this. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

jaylemurph
Just now, XenoFish said:

Thank you. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed this. 

Well, really, what is spirituality other than a sledge hammer to beat over the head of other people?

” *I*  believe X, so I’m better than you!” Followed, of course, by “You don’t believe X, so I’d better kill you.”

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 1

XenoFish
4 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

Well, really, what is spirituality other than a sledge hammer to beat over the head of other people?

” *I*  believe X, so I’m better than you!” Followed, of course, by “You don’t believe X, so I’d better kill you.”

—Jaylemurph 

Spirituality to me is supposed to be about personal evolution, the refinement of our better qualities. For the most part, all I see are people to entrenched in their own fantasy world. To the point where they have lost some of their humanity. Gaining my ego than humbleness.

• Thanks 1

Luis Marco
47 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

—Jaylemurph 

39 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Spirituality to me is supposed to be about personal evolution, the refinement of our better qualities. For the most part, all I see are people to entrenched in their own fantasy world. To the point where they have lost some of their humanity. Gaining my ego than humbleness.

I never said you must or should believe URANTIA, i'll try to convince sometimes, but not enforce nor 'kill' Anyone.

jaylemurph
45 minutes ago, Luis Marco said:

I never said you must or should believe URANTIA, i'll try to convince sometimes, but not enforce nor 'kill' Anyone.

I’m not suggesting you, solus, are getting up to murder. It takes a group for that. 

That said, the first thing any religion does it split the world into “us” and “them” groups. And that kind of thinking inevitably leads to demonizing the Other and provides a justification for whatever treatment that inflict on Them. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 3

Luis Marco
8 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

I’m not suggesting you, solus, are getting up to murder. It takes a group for that. 

That said, the first thing any religion does it split the world into “us” and “them” groups. And that kind of thinking inevitably leads to demonizing the Other and provides a justification for whatever treatment that inflict on Them. 

—Jaylemurph 

URANTIA reveals we are all brothers and sisters and friends and fellows and so on. (...) :yes:

• Like 1

jaylemurph
1 hour ago, Luis Marco said:

URANTIA reveals we are all brothers and sisters and friends and fellows and so on. (...) :yes:

So does the Bible. This has not, to my knowledge, even once stopped Christians from happily killing even other Christians whose faith varied minutely.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Luis Marco
18 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

So does the Bible. This has not, to my knowledge, even once stopped Christians from happily killing even other Christians whose faith varied minutely.

--Jaylemurph

URANTIA came also to unite us and to have unity with other beings, the universe, and GOD, and it doesn't force us to do it all, however has recommendations to do all that...

• Like 1

XenoFish
1 hour ago, Luis Marco said:

URANTIA came also to unite us and to have unity with other beings, the universe, and GOD, and it doesn't force us to do it all, however has recommendations to do all that...

By joining a cult.

• Like 1

Will Due
1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

By joining a cult.

Well if you want to join a cult, you won't find one where you'll find a copy of the Urantia Book. 

Because if there isn't a High Priest, a priesthood of any kind for that matter, no church or congregation and no rituals, how can there be a cult?

It's just an extraordinary book that anyone can read. Perhaps the most extraordinary in all the world. :) 

• Haha 1

third_eye
5 hours ago, Will Due said:

It's just an extraordinary book that anyone can read. Perhaps the most extraordinary in all the world. :) 

Extraordinarily stupid is pretty dang close ... most extraordinary with the stupidity is quite accurate

~

• Thanks 3

Luis Marco
On 26/11/2018 at 6:58 PM, XenoFish said:

By joining a cult

'The Purpose of Revelation: A Response to Martin Gardner's Urantia: The Great Cult Mystery'

http://www.urantiabook.org/archive/mjs_archive/mjs_purpose_of_revelation.htm

by Meredith Sprunger.

Luis Marco
On 26/11/2018 at 5:53 PM, Luis Marco said:

URANTIA came also to unite us and to have unity with other beings, the universe, and GOD, and it doesn't force us to do it AT all, however has recommendations to do all that...

XenoFish

A cult of thought.

• Like 1