Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghost at Gettysburg?

susieice

Video looked like a hoax to me especially the stilted framed walk to the guns before turning to pass between two of them.   Scripted reactions as well.

On 8/20/2017 at 2:52 PM, papageorge1 said:

I respect your more moderate opinion. I didn't feel any particular flags myself. But in so many of these cases it  seems to me a faker is going through a lot of effort for very little attention anyway (and much of that negative). I think the outright 'fake' explanation is probably overused myself in today's climate. Gettysburg has so many quality stories coming from there, that I lean to believing this one genuine at this time.

Little attention? They have nearly 2 million views on YouTube!   

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, stereologist said:

When it comes to the weather and they suggest that there is a 40% chance of rain do you think that the weather service makes the same irrational use of numbers you do?

I think it is the same rational use of numbers; estimating probability by considering all things.

15 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I think it is the same rational use of numbers; estimating probability by considering all things.

That's a joke!

I figured you had no idea what it means when the weather service says 40% chance of rain.

You are not estimating probabilities. You are making things up. There is a difference.

Here is your quiz. Which is the definition of 40% chance of rain?

1. 40% of the land area will receive rain.

2. 40% of the people will get rained on.

3. 40% of the time that the conditions have been like they are now it rains.

4. 40% seems like a reasonable and rational number given the past experiences of the weather man

25 minutes ago, stereologist said:

That's a joke!

I figured you had no idea what it means when the weather service says 40% chance of rain.

You are not estimating probabilities. You are making things up. There is a difference.

Here is your quiz. Which is the definition of 40% chance of rain?

1. 40% of the land area will receive rain.

2. 40% of the people will get rained on.

3. 40% of the time that the conditions have been like they are now it rains.

4. 40% seems like a reasonable and rational number given the past experiences of the weather man

I say 3

2 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

Where did I say this IS paranormal?

Unbelievable. The title of this topic is "Ghost at Gettysburg", the title of the Video on YouTube is "Gettysburg ghost sighting" and you are arguing that there is a 75% chance it is not a hoaxed video therefore you are claiming they most likely captured a ghost on video at Gettysburg.  BTW, in your post #2 you claim the "ghost just disappeared" so you are not suggesting they caught something else on video and misidentified it, as far as I can see, so given all that, let me ask you a question, are ghosts considered something paranormal?

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Merc14 said:

Unbelievable. The title of this topic is "Ghost at Gettysburg", the title of the Video on YouTube is "Gettysburg ghost sighting" and you are arguing that there is a 75% chance it is not a hoaxed video therefore you are claiming they most likely captured a ghost on video at Gettysburg.  BTW, in your post #2 you claim the "ghost just disappeared" so you are not suggesting they caught something else on video and misidentified it, as far as I can see, so given all that, let me ask you a question, are ghosts considered something paranormal?

Do you not see the difference between saying one thinks there is a 75% chance that it is a ghost and one saying 'it IS a ghost'?

i don't even get what we are debating at this point!? Please clarify if you want me to continue this discussion.

45 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I say 3

That is correct. That is not what you are doing. You are doing 4.

The rain prediction is computed as:

days it rained

% = 100 * ------------------------------------------------

total days the conditions occurred

This is not the same as:

% = number made up with no evidence to support it

10 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Do you not see the difference between saying one thinks there is a 75% chance that it is a ghost and one saying 'it IS a ghost'?

i don't even get what we are debating at this point!? Please clarify if you want me to continue this discussion.

The number is a pointless number with no connection to reality. It is being used to pretend that the decision has some reasoning behind it when that is not the case.

• Like 2

If we were to use numbers as they are intended then we would have something like this:

number of videos actually showing ghosts

% = 100 * -------------------------------------------------------------

number of videos claiming to show ghosts

That percent today stands at 0%.

• Like 1

This video has all of the hallmarks of a hoax. And the best part is that it hooked the gullible.

I believe a high five goes out to the pranksters that pulled it off. :tsu:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Your quote "Where did I say this IS paranormal?".   if it is real, and you claim that is 75% probable, then you are claiming it is paranormal or if you want to get your usual weaselly about it, that there is a 75% chance it is paranormal and not a hoax.  

Folk, we all know where this is going.  He will try and weasel out on some way of forming the sentence and I will chase him down and get exasperated as he continues to try and weasel his way ou so I am not going there. Suffice it to say the man is simply incapable of admitting an error and sadly, falls for every single hoax out there.   :rolleyes:

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 3