Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why whisky tastes better with water

Still Waters

Neat, on the rocks, or with a dash of mineral water. Whisky enthusiasts have long disagreed about how the amber nectar is best enjoyed, but now a scientific paper has backed the idea that diluting whisky can enhance its flavour.

The work suggests that adding water boosts the concentration of flavour compounds at the surface of the drink, helping to unleash the rich mix of aromas.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/aug/17/whisky-and-water-galore-scientists-conclude-dilution-enhances-flavour

• Like 3

depends on the age and the house barrels used in the aging process really ... some makes tastes absolutely dull when watered down ...

~

• Like 1

Water turns you rusty and putting it into a wee dram is horrific but no doubt sassenachs dinnae ken

• Like 3

On 8/19/2017 at 2:17 AM, spud the mackem said:

Water turns you rusty and putting it into a wee dram is horrific but no doubt sassenachs dinnae ken

Solid defense!

• Like 1

I think they just got confused.

What they meant to say is that water aways tastes better if you add some whisky too it ;)

• Like 6

actually if you take just a little water maybe a teaspoon full or a little less it will make the whiskey taste better.  It takes some of the "burn" off but brings out the flavor.  I didn't believe it either till I saw it on the net a few days ago and tried it and sure enough it works.  It took the rough edge off but enhanced the flavor, I like it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TonopahRick said:

actually if you take just a little water maybe a teaspoon full or a little less it will make the whiskey taste better.  It takes some of the "burn" off but brings out the flavor.  I didn't believe it either till I saw it on the net a few days ago and tried it and sure enough it works.  It took the rough edge off but enhanced the flavor, I like it.

Och A'm greetin' in ma Glen Morange....DOOMED Doomed I say

• Like 1

probably.....it's the only way my fathers father drank it.......

I remember when I was 18 I was working at a hardware store selling lumber and we had a Christmas party. All the people were double my age and they ordered a round of whiskey on the rocks, I guess you could call that water lol  Still tasted bad and I couldn't finish it. To this day I can't drink it.  

• Like 1

I tried this at my bothy in the Highlands last year.  Poured a dram of Talisker and added a little drop of water straight from the burn (freshest, bestest, water on the whole planet)    Nah .......  Just made it taste watery.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Essan said:

I tried this at my bothy in the Highlands last year.  Poured a dram of Talisker and added a little drop of water straight from the burn (freshest, bestest, water on the whole planet)    Nah .......  Just made it taste watery.  

we have cleanest air and water in the world........

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cluey said:

we have cleanest air and water in the world........

The best water is brown.  From peat  :D 

• Like 1

On 8/18/2017 at 10:20 PM, third_eye said:

depends on the age and the house barrels used in the aging process really ... some makes tastes absolutely dull when watered down ...

~

i gotta agree with you on this one. Those single malt, peaty ones are great with an ice cube or two. its like the flavour gets stretched out. 

• Like 1

Drinking whisky on the rocks is what you do when you have a celebratory dram on reaching the summit of a hill :D  

• Like 1

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked