Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Star Wars: Obi-Wan spinoff 'in the works'

Still Waters

A Star Wars spinoff focusing on Jedi master Obi-Wan Kenobi is reportedly in the works at Lucasfilm.

The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed Oscar-nominated director Stephen Daldry is in talks with Disney to helm the project, which would centre on Anakin Skywalker's mentor.

If confirmed, it will be the second Star Wars standalone film to be produced by Disney, with Ron Howard's Han Solo being released next year.

http://news.sky.com/story/star-wars-obi-wan-spinoff-reportedly-in-the-works-10993519

• Like 1

Anyone else getting just a little bit sick of Star Wars? Or is it just me? :mellow: 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, AustinHinton said:

Anyone else getting just a little bit sick of Star Wars? Or is it just me? :mellow: 

Definitely not me. This is a dream. I just can't wait for a Yoda origin story.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Definitely not me. This is a dream. I just can't wait for a Yoda origin story.

Guess I am alone then. I was never a huge fan of Star Wars to begin with, and these last few years I have just grown utterly sick of it. 

1 minute ago, AustinHinton said:

Guess I am alone then. I was never a huge fan of Star Wars to begin with, and these last few years I have just grown utterly sick of it. 

I don't understand why people hold these opinions about the big franchises. No one is forcing you to watch it.

• Like 1

I for one will never nor will get sick of the theme itself alone ... though the nightmare that was episode I, II and III does take some getting over ...

~

1 hour ago, AustinHinton said:

I'm a little concerned because it seems like they are just going to start mass producing movies to pop out acouple each year

Quite understandable actually, the major proportion of audiences (younger ones) aren't willing to watch anything else other than the CGI massive awesome destruction and mayhem flicks, the fundamental digital CGI production houses are there ready for whatever is tossed their way, digital data are much more flexible and tweak able than real world location sets, digital data is reusable ... getting cheaper to produce, spin off merchandises also rely on those digital data constructions ... 

I'm afraid this is going to be the new normal for a long time coming ...

~

21 minutes ago, third_eye said:

I for one will never nor will get sick of the theme itself alone ... though the nightmare that was episode I, II and III does take some getting over ...

~

I loved 3. My favourite is 7 though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Can't say I have a favorite ... though I have many favorite 'moments' throughout the series so far ...

:)

~

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spartan max2 said:

I'm a little concerned because it seems like they are just going to start mass producing movies to pop out acouple each year

Well, Disney owns Marvel Entertainment right?

They have made it clear they want to 'milk the cow' with the Star Wars franchise also.

Edited by Be.cause

2 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

I don't understand why people hold these opinions about the big franchises. No one is forcing you to watch it.

It's not just the movies, which yes I choose not to watch (especially since they are starting to become repetitive), but what I can't do is avoid seeing the oodles of marketing and merch for these films. Which they make a boatload of each year. -_- 

1 hour ago, spartan max2 said:

Just like they (Disney) does with super-hero flicks. Which I am not a fan of at all, I was never a fan of the super-hero genre. 

6 minutes ago, AustinHinton said:

It's not just the movies, which yes I choose not to watch (especially since they are starting to become repetitive), but what I can't do is avoid seeing the oodles of marketing and merch for these films. Which they make a boatload of each year. -_- 

Just like they (Disney) does with super-hero flicks. Which I am not a fan of at all, I was never a fan of the super-hero genre. 

Well it seems we are of the complete opposite opinion.

If you ever see me at a party, don't bother introducing yourself :D 

2 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Well it seems we are of the complete opposite opinion.

If you ever see me at a party, don't bother introducing yourself :D 

Yes, it does seem to me we are opposites. 

Oh don't worry, you will never see me at a party. ;) (I'm an introvert) 

3 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

:o I find your lack of faith disturbing. 

;)

3 hours ago, third_eye said:

~

I don't think the soulless Disney Star Wars movies are particularly any better. But they offer a lot of fan service, and nostalgia works best these days. 

Edited by FLOMBIE
  • Like 1

We know that, but the younger audiences that makes up the bulk of the ticket buyers don't see it that way, and nostalgia is a totally different time frame for them ...

~

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, third_eye said:

We know that, but the younger audiences that makes up the bulk of the ticket buyers don't see it that way, and nostalgia is a totally different time frame for them ...

~

But kids are kids. They hype anything with the right marketing, and that has always been the biggest strength of the Star Wars IP. It does convert easily into amazing toys. 

I was speaking of the grown up fans, like myself. I used to be a hug Star Wars fan, who could fly through the trashiest of Star Wars novels.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FLOMBIE said:

But kids are kids. They hype anything with the right marketing, and that has always been the biggest strength of the Star Wars IP. It does convert easily into amazing toys. 

I was speaking of the grown up fans, like myself. I used to be a hug Star Wars fan, who could fly through the trashiest of Star Wars novels.

I was in Art College about that thereabouts so I was more into the designs and creative elements that made up the Galaxy far far away ... though I have to add that my favorite characters are of course the droids C3PO, R2D2, Vader and Yoda ... and of course the space crafts ... the TIE Fighter (my fav) and the Walkers ... all fantastic designs ... and who can forget to mention the Falcon ... :lol:

~

• Like 1

1 minute ago, third_eye said:

I was in Art College about that thereabouts so I was more into the designs and creative elements that made up the Galaxy far far away ... though I have to add that my favorite characters are of course the droids C3PO, R2D2, Vader and Yoda ... and of course the space crafts ... the TIE Fighter (my fav) and the Walkers ... all fantastic designs ... and who can forget to mention the Falcon ... :lol:

~

Indeed, I love the designs and vehicles as well. Especially the X-wing, and thus my favorite character became to be ... Wedge Antilles! :lol: Most people haven't even heard of the lad. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FLOMBIE said:

Indeed, I love the designs and vehicles as well. Especially the X-wing, and thus my favorite character became to be ... Wedge Antilles! :lol: Most people haven't even heard of the lad. 

Yeah the X Wing did capture a lot of the imagination, I liked the TIE because its was so outrageous a shape and look that I believe nothing even remotely like it was seen before ... at least I don;t think so ...

~

• Like 1

1 minute ago, third_eye said:

Yeah the X Wing did capture a lot of the imagination, I liked the TIE because its was so outrageous a shape and look that I believe nothing even remotely like it was seen before ... at least I don;t think so ...

~

I love the tie fighter as well! And the sound they produce. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FLOMBIE said:

I love the tie fighter as well! And the sound they produce. 

I played one of the first Star Wars games ... XWing I think it was ... those TIEs are a pain in the butt to chase ... :lol: and hit ...

~

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, third_eye said:

I played one of the first Star Wars games ... XWing I think it was ... those TIEs are a pain in the butt to chase ... :lol: and hit ...

~

I loved those games! I still have a copy of X-Wing vs. TIE-fighter. I tried to run it again quite recently, and the controls are completely nuts compared to today's standards. I couldn't figure it out!

My favorite games were the Rebel Assault series on the Nintendo consoles. 

• Like 1

Just now, FLOMBIE said:

I still have a copy of X-Wing vs. TIE-fighter.

Yeah ... that's the one ...  :lol:

~

• Like 1