Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Self-driving' lorry convoys set for UK roads

Still Waters

The Government has committed £8.1m to finance trials of semi-autonomous "platooning" lorries.

Under the scheme, a "platoon leader" driving a heavy goods vehicle will head a small convoy, with the following trucks, or "drones", being piloted by computers.

The trucks drive closely behind one another and are linked electronically, communicating via radar, GPS and wifi.

Speed, position and the route are determined by the driver of the lead truck, who also controls acceleration, braking and steering for the entire convoy.

http://news.sky.com/story/convoys-of-driverless-lorries-get-green-light-for-uk-trial-11004160

How 'platooning' lorry convoys will work - Video

http://news.sky.com/video/how-platooning-lorry-convoys-will-work-11004199

• Like 1

Sure save a lot of money, instead of all those drivers just hire one or two human to babysit the autonomous vehicle and notify in case of something going wrong.

• Like 1

I'd love to know what the back-up plan is, in case contact is lost between the lead lorry and the dependants...

• Like 1

Well, lets bear in mind that this is a TEST... a "proof of concept" test.... undertaken on a test road, not a public highway. 

The idea of multiple unmanned vehicles being controlled by a manned lead vehicle is intriguing. 

I wonder what we can call it ? 

I know.. how about... a train ? :P 

On 26/08/2017 at 0:17 AM, Captain Risky said:

I'd love to know what the back-up plan is, in case contact is lost between the lead lorry and the dependants...

My thoughts exactly, as mentioned in the article:

"We have more exits and entries on our motorways than any other motorway system. So what that means is either the platoon would have to break up at entries or exits or indeed, pull over, and that could cause problems for drivers in other cars trying to get on the motorway or get off."

The idea is a great idea and I'm all for it... as long as this (and doubtless many other) obstacles can be overcome first.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stiff said:

My thoughts exactly, as mentioned in the article:

"We have more exits and entries on our motorways than any other motorway system. So what that means is either the platoon would have to break up at entries or exits or indeed, pull over, and that could cause problems for drivers in other cars trying to get on the motorway or get off."

The idea is a great idea and I'm all for it... as long as this (and doubtless many other) obstacles can be overcome first.

totally agree. i think truck automation might be feasible for some places like massive straight highways, but in built up areas not practical for all the reasons you mentioned. maybe smaller automated lorry convoys or more human supervision might solve some problems.  

• Like 1