Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Elon Musk - Neuralink = Brain to Computer

DieChecker

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-25/elon-musk-s-neuralink-gets-27-million-to-build-brain-computers

Few details are known about Neuralink. The company’s sparse website says it’s “developing ultra-high bandwith brain-machine interfaces to connect humans and computers.” It’s also recruiting engineers and scientists to join the effort.

Get ready to get your required cranial Java update and antivirus update every night while you sleep. 

I think it depends on the method of the link, but I suspect it is going to involve some kind of hard connector that's going to interface with the brain, like you see in some SciFi movies.

A direct link could be scary in my opinion, as it could allow a computer to back access the human. Kind of like when people hijack a cell phone camera and get pics of people unawares, but instead of pics, it would be memories, or thoughts, that are being collected.

• Like 2

I think it is ethically wrong to do such a thing unless it is done for solving medical problems, such as replacing non-functioning eyes with cameras connected to the brain. Hope that governments around the world make laws regulating this.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, fred_mc said:

I think it is ethically wrong to do such a thing unless it is done for solving medical problems, such as replacing non-functioning eyes with cameras connected to the brain. Hope that governments around the world make laws regulating this.

People can't choose for themselves? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

People can't choose for themselves? 

I'm a bit afraid that people might not get the possibility to choose themselves, that companies will force people to wear electronic implants, for example that train companies might require all passengers to have an electronic ticket under their skin, or that companies will require their employees to wear a chip under their skin instead of an id card to pass through doors etc (there are already companies that have started with these things as an option). I think that legislation is needed to prevent this, I think that all people's bodies belong to them, not that some company should require that you put chips inside of you.

Edited by fred_mc
  • Like 3

Does this mean I'll be able to upload Kung fu? 

• Like 2

Certainly an interesting concept. If one were to extrapolate upon the idea, the more one interacted with outside data, the more that technology would capture with regard to one's persona. At some point, that technology would capture sufficient personal engrams to create an alternate e-personality. The consequence could emerge as immortality in some e-form.

me I love this idea.. bring on the cyborg enhancements :)

When this happens the human race will end and the race of "Borg" will be here and not in the Delta quadrant.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, paperdyer said:

When this happens the human race will end and the race of "Borg" will be here and not in the Delta quadrant.

I always thought the Borg started on Earth ... now it will!

You will probably have to get a warrant of fitness each month for your brain.  If you can't afford to pay for the upgrades you will be exterminated. 

I hope no one takes this toooo seriously.

On 28/08/2017 at 9:23 PM, taniwha said:

I hope no one takes this toooo seriously.

People should take it very seriously.  

When the first human memory upgrade is released and those people have perfect recall and access to almost unlimited information you will have two choices:  Upgrade and evolve with it or turn your back and shun it - either way the world, and your place in it, will be changed forever. 

Frightening? It certainly could be.  Inevitable? Definitely.  A playground for the rich? Absolutely - This world stands on a precipice with disruptive technologies appearing all around us.  Those who think we have a unchangeable and immortal soul could be in for a rude awakening too!