Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man catches a fish inside his living room

UM-Bot

"If I owned Hell and Texas, I'd live in Hell and rent Texas out."

- General T. S. Sherman

The more things change, the more they really don't...

• Like 1

Guest brizink

I know sharks are technically fish, because they have gills and "scales" which are more like Barb's on a cats tongue but still scales technically. I think the only anatomic facet that separates sharks and fish is that some sharks have live birth as where fish lay eggs. Others deliver a "purse" that the baby emerges from so not technically live birth. I guess here goes the "are sharks fish?" Debate, but I think geneticists have settle this one. 

Edited by brizink

That looks like a catfish.  

• Like 2

Now there's a silver lining type of guy. His glass is half full, and sitting beside a plateful of catfish. 

• Like 2

Guest brizink

I stand corrected, it's not a shark, I didn't notice the details the first time around. It's a Blue Catfish, a particularly fine specimen.They're kinda dark and brownish where I live with only a slight bluish hue in certain light. The only thing that blueish grey near me is a shark, hence the misidentification. My bad El Dudeareno.

FYI, the fish in the video is Hypostomus plecostomus (that's a mouthful!) AKA, the Common Pleco, an algae eating suckerfish from South America. They have been both dumped by aquarists who did not realize their adult size and have escaped fish farms when flooded. They are very common in Florida now and can been seen cleaning algae from the backs of Manatees in the springs of that state. As long as they can find reasonably warm water, i.e. 55 degrees + or so, they probably will survive winters along the Gulf Coast, and Texas does have some springs which never get very cold. 

• Like 1

I live in that part of Texas and that isn't a fish that lives in the wild in this part of Texas. Either that wasn't filmed here or that was an aquarium fish that had escaped from a big aquarium in that house. The list of stupid videos and pictures that I've seen about the hell that we have going on here is unbelievable. We are under a curfew and lots of people are living in shelters because of mandatory evacuations. There are not many laughing unfortunatey. 

• Like 1

Guest brizink

Idk, I can't see it's protruding mouth or the jaguar pattern on it's back. Looks blue with a white underbelly to me. Neither of which fit the Plecostomus description. Additionally it's anal fins are far too small to be a Plecostomus, the fish in the video has broad spiney anal fins while a Plecostomus has smaller flimsy anal fins. I still think it's a Blue cat

poor fish... he is obviously not insured ...

I wonder what they did with the fish afterwards ? 

On 29/08/2017 at 4:43 AM, OverSword said:

Glad to hear those people laughing! :)

Laughing can be a good stress reliever too.

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 4:10 PM, brizink said:

Idk, I can't see it's protruding mouth or the jaguar pattern on it's back. Looks blue with a white underbelly to me. Neither of which fit the Plecostomus description. Additionally it's anal fins are far too small to be a Plecostomus, the fish in the video has broad spiney anal fins while a Plecostomus has smaller flimsy anal fins. I still think it's a Blue cat

It's not a pleco, but looks like it. It's definitely some type of armored catfish. Not sure what type. I'd agree that it's a catfish, but definitely doesn't look like a blue catfish. The fins don't resemble it whatsoever. Also after doing some research, armored catfish is one of the invasive fish in Texas, and one of the most destructive ones.

Edited by Trenix

10 minutes ago, kobolds said:

what temperature do you want your fish cooked?

haha..well I was hoping they would have let the poor thing go :hmm:

5 hours ago, Astra. said:

haha..well I was hoping they would have let the poor thing go :hmm:

Go where... the basement?

:rofl:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AnchorSteam said:

Go where... the basement?

:rofl:

Lol..no, I was thinking more like out of the window into the flood waters. 

(Btw, not making light of what the people in Texas are going through.) 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, .ZZ. said:

That video wasn't even taken in Texas....

Do you know where it was taken ? 

32 minutes ago, Astra. said:

Do you know where it was taken ? 

There are like 4k + comments on Facebook and Twitter, where somebody with too much time on their hands determined it had a time stamp and other data that didn't jive with the hurricane here and called them out on it.  Mexico had a tropical storm that fit the time frame. :huh:

I'm just relaying the scuttlebutt, but it makes good conversation. ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2017 at 8:11 PM, Trenix said:

It's not a pleco, but looks like it. It's definitely some type of armored catfish. Not sure what type. I'd agree that it's a catfish, but definitely doesn't look like a blue catfish. The fins don't resemble it whatsoever. Also after doing some research, armored catfish is one of the invasive fish in Texas, and one of the most destructive ones.

Turns out, this video wasn't made in Texas, i think it was exposed as a video from Mexico or Central America, Honduras or Belize maybe? Idk it wasn't in Texas or as a result of Harvey. Not that it means this could not be an Armored Cat, very well could be. I had to turn up the resolution on YouTube and now I see the armor striations you're seeing. The fins actually do match for a blue cat fairly closely, they spread like that when they strain, they're normally quite narrow looking when you see pics or up close in the water. Catch a Blue Cat by it's  tail and tell me the fins don't  match.it isn't a Blue Cat though, nor a Plecostomus, Plecos arent usually this big, and it clearly lacks the Pleco pattern... WTF IS IT????!!!!! Could be a Blue Pleco, weirder ****s happened and some cat fish can cross-breed however non-viable their young might be. Maaaaaybe? Hmm? Thoughts on that?.... Update, the post above mine says Mexico, so that settles the first paragraph's mystery. 

Edited by brizink
Update