Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bizarre 'life form' caught on camera in Taiwan

UM-Bot

• The title was changed to Bizarre 'life form' caught on camera in Taiwan

I think the black netting material around the thick structure are not connected. I watched several times and think it is simply a tangle of thread. The thicker rod is moving, but appears unnaturally rigid for its diameter. I too am thinking it is a plastic or metal rod that was coiled up and is seen to straighten out and then coil in the manner in which it started. Maybe it is a plastic or fiberglass rod that formed a coil and was coiled in the opposite orientation.

I don't think this is living.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Grandpa Greenman said:

Didn't y'all read the article?  They are horsehair worms.    https://www.wired.com/2014/05/absurd-creature-horsehair-worm/

I did read the suggestion that it was horsehair worms, but the thinner black threads are full of sharp bends in the video. Just looking at the still you see the linear sections connected by sharp bends. Also, the thinner pieces appear to be anything but smooth as a horse hair worm is. Notice the large difference in diameter between the moving object and the thinner black ones.

Maybe these are all horse hair worms with the majority injured, i.e. stepped on.

• Like 1

I see one worm tangled in twine. You can see the bends in the twine every 3-4 inches where it was on a spool. The twine only appears to be moving but it's only the worm.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, stereologist said:

I did read the suggestion that it was horsehair worms, but the thinner black threads are full of sharp bends in the video. Just looking at the still you see the linear sections connected by sharp bends. Also, the thinner pieces appear to be anything but smooth as a horse hair worm is. Notice the large difference in diameter between the moving object and the thinner black ones.

Maybe these are all horse hair worms with the majority injured, i.e. stepped on.

They males "bend" when mating with the larger female.

• Like 2

Didn't anyone pick it up for closer inspection,whats the worst can happen as I said once to my wife when I wanted a pic of the false black widows that set up home in the greenhouse...I picked one up don't let people tell you the can't bite 

• Like 1

Definitely horse hair worms. Probably mating as stated before. Can't some worms get some privacy?

They're just plain weird,fascinating but not if you're that particular earwig 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Matt221 said:

Didn't anyone pick it up for closer inspection,whats the worst can happen as I said once to my wife when I wanted a pic of the false black widows that set up home in the greenhouse...I picked one up don't let people tell you the can't bite 

They are apparently parasites.

Also, as another poster showed, DO YOU WANT TO BECOME VENOM!?

Haha!

• Like 1

Now that's just friggin' creepy.

:wacko:

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 2

On 8/29/2017 at 6:42 AM, Paranomaly said:

I see one worm tangled in twine. You can see the bends in the twine every 3-4 inches where it was on a spool. The twine only appears to be moving but it's only the worm.

I'm going to agree with you Paranormaly... The bent bits look dried out, and not like an actively mating worm. Worm trapped in some kind of netting.

On 8/31/2017 at 6:44 AM, DieChecker said:

I'm going to agree with you Paranormaly... The bent bits look dried out, and not like an actively mating worm. Worm trapped in some kind of netting.

Adult horsehair worms shouldn't be outside of water. At least no species I'm aware of. It looks like a mating ball somehow got stuck on shore. In most species the females are much larger than the males. It looks the males died and dried out but there's a larger female or two still alive in there. Just a guess. 

• Like 1

To me just a normal animal or insect tangled up in many many things, probably human litter