Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The alarming decline in insects

seeder

‘The windscreen phenomenon’ - why your car is no longer covered in dead insects

Wildlife experts have been warning about the alarming decline in insects for decades.

But the fall in numbers of bugs in Britain has now reached such a troubling extent that even motorists are noticing that their windscreens are clear of squashed flies, gnats, moths and wasps.

Where a trip in high summer would once have necessitated taking a squeegee to the front window, now the glass is largely clear, drivers are reporting.

Writing in The Telegraph letters page earlier this week, Michael Groom of Teffont Evias, Wiltshire asked: “Where have all the insects gone? My windscreen remains clear whatever the speed.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/08/26/windscreen-phenomenon-car-no-longer-covered-dead-insects/

• Like 1

Very interesting article. I do think they could have thought of a better word then ‘splatometer’ that's almost stomach churning

• Like 1

Is there really? I can't say I'd noticed. Of course, it's because of Climate Change(TM).  Anyway, according to that other story the other day, there's supposed to be a big increase in the number of spiders isn't there. That's not likely to happen unless there's enough to feed them, is it?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

Is there really? I can't say I'd noticed. Of course, it's because of Climate Change(TM).  Anyway, according to that other story the other day, there's supposed to be a big increase in the number of spiders isn't there. That's not likely to happen unless there's enough to feed them, is it?

I can't share it on here due to the headline, but apparently parts of the UK have Spiders non stop mating right now in huge numbers

1 hour ago, Ruby04 said:

I can't share it on here due to the headline, but apparently parts of the UK have Spiders non stop mating right now in huge numbers

We have a thread about that -

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/topic/311068-wet-weather-sparks-huge-spider-invasion-in-uk/

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

The one I read was different, it was about Spiders causing trouble with their non stop mating.

• 1 month later...

Scientists warn of 'ecological Armageddon and a collapse of the food chain' as study finds flying insect numbers have plunged up to 80% in 30 years

Researchers in Germany have documented a steep decline in flying insects
    Their findings have sparked fears the foodchain will catastrophically collapse
    One scientist, who blamed pesticides, predicted 'ecological Armageddon'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4995322/Fears-insect-numbers-plunge-80-just-30-years.html#ixzz4vxiXx9HO

• Like 1

Wow, two unrelated phenomena at the same time. What are the odds against THAT ?

Firstly we have an increase in the population of insect-eating spiders.

Then we have a reduction in the population of flying insects.

Oh... wait.... :unsure2:

Edited by RoofGardener
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Wow, two unrelated phenomena at the same time. What are the odds against THAT ?

Firstly we have an increase in the population of insect-eating spiders.

Then we have a reduction in the population of flying insects.

Oh... wait.... :unsure2:

You beat me to it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fred_mc said:

I wouldn't mind if there were fewer wasps, they are quite annoying and they build hives in storage sheds and attics.

I had two separate wasp nests in my garden if you leave them alone the're not a problem, and in the woodland near our house we have the privilege of Hornets nesting there every year such beautifully creatures

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, seanjo said:

But where would we get Marmite from?

Fear not seanjo ... despite the stories and rumours, Marmite is not actually made from garden sheds and attics ! :)

After reading this article a few days ago I noticed that I've not seen bugs in quantities as 20years ago, I deliver mail mostly in rural areas and I was surprised that there arent as many insects as before, though I cant quantify it.

• Like 3

Dragonflies and Damselflies ... are the ones I miss the most ...

~

• Like 3

9 hours ago, third_eye said:

Dragonflies and Damselflies ... are the ones I miss the most ...

~

excellent example, havent seen one of these in years wtf

• Like 2