Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are epic rains the new normal?

Still Waters

Houston’s third 500-year flood in three years raises the question: How can cities prepare for extreme weather that’s no longer so rare?

In retrospect, Harvey should not have been a surprise. Climate scientists have warned for years to expect more extreme rainfall from the warming Earth.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/08/heavy-rain-harvey-houston/

• Like 4

Not *only* epic rains. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Still Waters said:

Houston’s third 500-year flood in three years raises the question: How can cities prepare for extreme weather that’s no longer so rare?

In retrospect, Harvey should not have been a surprise. Climate scientists have warned for years to expect more extreme rainfall from the warming Earth.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/08/heavy-rain-harvey-houston/

Houston's third 500-year flood in three years raises questions about how accurate the flood-frequency models are.  Hypothetically, three 500-year floods in three years is possible - once every 1,250,000,000 years.

Also, it doesn't help when you build your city in a bayou.  This is what happens when you don't regulate development.

I think we'd better take another look at the distribution models.

Doug

• Like 2

Huston is 50 ft above sea level and next to an ocean known for hurricanes or call it the the gulf of Mexico. My city is at 3500 ft above sea level and we get floods as well and it's been a hot summer. Send some rain my way. 

Epic rains may be the new normal in coastal areas, but I'm not seeing any evidence of that in continental interiors.

On the other hand, we've had some awesome freezes in the last few years...

Doug

Epic song for an epic flood....