Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UFO enthusiasts are flocking to Devils Tower

UM-Bot

12 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Oh, it's like a UFO convention then. At first I thought these folks thought ET was going to show up there!

If they are looking for UFO's there they are 40 years late. :P

• Like 4

They'll conjure them up, never-the-less, by reinforcing each-others dreams and fantasies through the collective gestalt of the imagination. Belief in UFOS and/or extraterrestrial intelligence bears a striking resemblance to religion, in many respects.

Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 2

I don't think this is anything more than a cool location for a UFO convention. I don't think the majority of folks attending the convention think any actual UFOs will be showing up.

• Like 2

I wonder if they'll be showing the spoof called Closet Cases of the Nerd Kind?

Warning it is 12:39 of bad acting, bad jokes, and references to other movies. The mail boxes at 5:45 might remind users of the original  movie.

I have always loved Close Encounters tk. I saw it at the theatre as a young person when it first came out. I had always been fascinated at thought of us not being alone . Will always be a classic!  And the Devils Tower wow! A great location. 

Edited by curiouse
  • Like 3

Music as the universal language? ...intradasting.

I've been meaning to watch close encounters again. There is something about it that builds up as the story goes on. Common people caught up in remarkable events.

• Like 4

I visited Devil's Tower years ago. It was awesome. As you drive up, it rises out of nothing. When you stand at its base, it's almost overwhelming with it's magnificent hugeness. I can fully understand why they used it for the movie. Standing there looking up at it, I could well imagine huge ships cresting up over the tower.

Heh, and I also hear the beer they sell at the store at the bottom of the tower is supposed to be rather good.

• Like 5

I used to climb there. People would ask us if we made it to the top and we'd tell them the truth. No, the top is rotten so we stop at the end of the good rock. They'd always say that they were sorry to hear we failed. You quickly learn to say that you did make it to the top. So next we were asked what is on top. At first we told the truth. It is flat and looks like the land in the area except there are no prairie dogs on top. That was a big disappointment to everyone. Then a friend of mine came up with the perfect story that made every one happy. He told them that Devil's Tower was hollow and had filled with water to form a deep blue lake. He informed the people that the Park Service had made piton use illegal because the park was afraid a piton could spring a hole in the lake. Everyone went home happy.

• Like 5

Sounds like a cool place for a UFO enthusiast get together, imagine how great it'd be if Jean Michel Jarre were to play a gig therewith the whole laser and light show, awesome

• Like 3

It's just like a Star Trek convention, filled with like-minded people who share the same fantasy that gives meaning to their lives.

• Like 2

My mind immediately goes to the aliens in People of Earth punking them. 

You're special. 

Regardless of the ufo implications, it's an amazing natural monument. I hope I get to visit one day.

• Like 1

Devils Tower is one of two natural landmarks Wyoming is known for (the other is Old Faithful in Yellowstone Natl Park). About 2 weeks ago, the path of totality from a solar eclipse crossed the very spot. Because of this and the movie's recent encore, you're going to have a rise of tourism in Devils Tower. Neighboring Nebraska has Chimney Rock, another interesting rock formation worth a visit.

• Like 1

ahh close encounters of the 3rd kind.. my all time favorite movie :)

• Like 2

On 9/3/2017 at 8:00 AM, Lilly said:

I don't think this is anything more than a cool location for a UFO convention. I don't think the majority of folks attending the convention think any actual UFOs will be showing up.

Ditto. Hell, if they were having a cook out I'd go.

On 9/3/2017 at 9:50 AM, DieChecker said:

I've been meaning to watch close encounters again. There is something about it that builds up as the story goes on. Common people caught up in remarkable events.

Sony is re-releasing a 4k remastered version to theaters this month and it is supposed to be gorgeous.  https://www.engadget.com/2017/07/26/close-encounters-of-the-third-kind-4k-remaster-theatrical-release/

Edited by Merc14

On 9/3/2017 at 9:50 AM, DieChecker said:

The Grays show up at the end.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DingoLingo said:

ahh close encounters of the 3rd kind.. my all time favorite movie :)

Amazing movie. 

Cheers,

Badeskov

• Like 2

On 9/4/2017 at 10:25 AM, Solipsi Rai said:

Devils Tower is one of two natural landmarks Wyoming is known for (the other is Old Faithful in Yellowstone Natl Park). About 2 weeks ago, the path of totality from a solar eclipse crossed the very spot. Because of this and the movie's recent encore, you're going to have a rise of tourism in Devils Tower. Neighboring Nebraska has Chimney Rock, another interesting rock formation worth a visit.

Neither Old Faithful nor Devil's Tower were in the path of totality. The Grand Tetons were in the path of totality. The Grand Teton is famous. It is one of the most photgraphed mountains in the world.

• Like 1

Guest brizink

So I'm gonna ruin the movie... A ship arrives at the end and sings a cover of 'hallelujah' in it's best Ronnie James Dio voice. Rad movie, only watch it on acid. That's what I do and it's like the first time I heard Guns 'N' Roses \m/

Edited by brizink
Typo