Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Reference List for the Younger Dryas Impact

Carnoferox

14 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

I find arguments against YDIH quite compelling.

BTW, kudos for list :tsu:

Same here. Unfortunately some give it credence without having read the relevant literature first.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Here are some additional papers not previously listed, all supporting YDIH.

• Like 2

For me, the biggest piece of evidence against YDI has to be the extinction patterns.  There should be a massive singular decline followed by a slow recovery across all species in the effected area and this isn't seen. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, I'mConvinced said:

For me, the biggest piece of evidence against YDI has to be the extinction patterns.  There should be a massive singular decline followed by a slow recovery across all species in the effected area and this isn't seen. 

The extinction started during the initial wet "warm up" then didn't change in the dry "cool down" which always led me to believe that diseases then starvation through drought caused the megafauna collapse in North America. There is no "mass graves" with scorched bones of these large animals. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

I still recon that Goblekli Tepe is a recording of an Astroid/meteor strike that changed the climate. Phew... There I said it at long last.

Edited by Captain Risky

25 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

I still recon that Goblekli Tepe is a recording of an Astroid/meteor strike that changed the climate. Phew... There I said it at long last.

Well, there is no evidence for it. NONE.

The most recent large meteor recorded was recorded in Estonian legend. But it was too far away to effect Goblekli Tepe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaali_crater

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Captain Risky,

Thanks for your comment.

As I recall, geologist and author Dr. Robert Schoch also had speculated at one time that there was a comet impact about 10,900 BCE (in keeping with Firestone’s timeline).  I think he also speculated that the Sphinx may have been built to memorialize that event. However, in his most recent book, Forgotten Civilization, he suggests that Goblekli Tepe was built around the time of the extreme warming event that brought the Younger-Drays to a close (about 9,700 BCE). Sometime along the way he changed his mind about the comet impact theory. in his most recent book, Forgotten Civilization, he writes:

“How do we explain this pattern of abrupt climatic shifts? I once hypothesized that comets were responsible. A comet hitting the land or a shallow ocean, or exploding above the land's surface, scattering dust and debris into the atmosphere, could cause global cooling. However, the evidence does not support a comet hitting Earth at this time. For more information, see Appendix 9 (“Controversies concerning the End of the Last Ice Age”) of Origins of the Sphinx. Rather, I believe it was most likely due to reduced solar activity at that time, a “solar shut-down”.

What about the warming event of circa 9700 BCE? In years past I speculated that comets hitting deep oceans were responsible. A comet might break the thin oceanic crust, releasing heat from the hot magma beneath. Vaporized and displaced water would rain down on Earth, and tsunamis would wash across coastal areas, warming the planet. But even with a comet, or a series of comets, bombarding the oceans, could the warming happen as quickly as the Greenland ice cores indicate? I think not. But if not comets, what?

Oddly, the indigenous Easter Island rongorongo script may hold the answer. But first we have to consider the concept of the fourth state of matter—plasma. Plasma consists of electrically charged particles. Familiar plasma phenomena on Earth today include lightning and auroras, the northern and southern lights, and upper atmospheric phenomena known as sprites. In the past, much more powerful plasma events sometimes took place, due to solar outbursts and coronal mass ejections (CMEs) from the Sun, or possibly emissions from other celestial objects. Powerful plasma phenomena could cause strong electrical discharges to hit Earth, burning and incinerating materials on our planet's surface. Los Alamos plasma physicist Dr. Anthony L. Peratt and his associates have established that petroglyphs found worldwide record an intense plasma event (or events) in prehistory.”

Have a great day,

Jess

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jesshill said:

Captain Risky,

Thanks for your comment.

As I recall, geologist and author Dr. Robert Schoch also had speculated at one time that there was a comet impact about 10,900 BCE (in keeping with Firestone’s timeline).  I think he also speculated that the Sphinx may have been built to memorialize that event. However, in his most recent book, Forgotten Civilization, he suggests that Goblekli Tepe was built around the time of the extreme warming event that brought the Younger-Drays to a close (about 9,700 BCE). Sometime along the way he changed his mind about the comet impact theory. in his most recent book, Forgotten Civilization, he writes:

“How do we explain this pattern of abrupt climatic shifts? I once hypothesized that comets were responsible. A comet hitting the land or a shallow ocean, or exploding above the land's surface, scattering dust and debris into the atmosphere, could cause global cooling. However, the evidence does not support a comet hitting Earth at this time. For more information, see Appendix 9 (“Controversies concerning the End of the Last Ice Age”) of Origins of the Sphinx. Rather, I believe it was most likely due to reduced solar activity at that time, a “solar shut-down”.

What about the warming event of circa 9700 BCE? In years past I speculated that comets hitting deep oceans were responsible. A comet might break the thin oceanic crust, releasing heat from the hot magma beneath. Vaporized and displaced water would rain down on Earth, and tsunamis would wash across coastal areas, warming the planet. But even with a comet, or a series of comets, bombarding the oceans, could the warming happen as quickly as the Greenland ice cores indicate? I think not. But if not comets, what?

Oddly, the indigenous Easter Island rongorongo script may hold the answer. But first we have to consider the concept of the fourth state of matter—plasma. Plasma consists of electrically charged particles. Familiar plasma phenomena on Earth today include lightning and auroras, the northern and southern lights, and upper atmospheric phenomena known as sprites. In the past, much more powerful plasma events sometimes took place, due to solar outbursts and coronal mass ejections (CMEs) from the Sun, or possibly emissions from other celestial objects. Powerful plasma phenomena could cause strong electrical discharges to hit Earth, burning and incinerating materials on our planet's surface. Los Alamos plasma physicist Dr. Anthony L. Peratt and his associates have established that petroglyphs found worldwide record an intense plasma event (or events) in prehistory.”

Have a great day,

Jess

More fringe nonsense. What a surprise.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, jesshill said:

Orphalesion,

Thanks for the link. I enjoyed the article very much. I wish they a bit more certain about the date.

Jess

It was me who put up the link....and you need a serious Geology 101 class....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Piney said:

It was me who put up the link....and you need a serious Geology 101 class....

are you saying that 12000 odd years there wasn’t an abrupt climate change?

4 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

are you saying that 12000 odd years there wasn’t an abrupt climate change?

Caused by the massive amount of moisture in the air from the glaciers melting. :yes:

• Like 2

22 hours ago, jesshill said:

Captain Risky,

Thanks for your comment.

Have a great day,

Jess

Have you seen the signs in South America of where a plasma burst may have hit an ancient wall and melted the stone. There's also indications of it happening on Easter Island and Egypt. The problem is to put it back to the Younger Dryas days that would throw the official timeline completely out of wack.

Edited by Vrcocha

Vrcocha

I had read about the suspected event in South America and just looked up the event in Egypt (gulp). It’s kind of scary when you look at it rather than just talk about it. There’s an interesting supposition posted at ancient-astronomer.com that you may want to read.

NASA classifies these types of events as “high energy astronomy’ which they describe as the study of astronomical objects that release electromagnetic radiation of highly energetic wavelengths. It includes X-ray astronomy, gamma-ray astronomy, and extreme UV astronomy, as well as studies of neutrinos and cosmic rays. The physical study of these phenomena is referred to as high-energy astrophysics.

So-called “Super Flares” appear to occur randomly and with varying intensities. The last two confirmed occurrences are listed below.

993 - 994 CE (or AD)

A large enhancement in the production of radioactive carbon (14C), as evidenced by dendrochronological (tree-ring) analysis, and a corresponding enhancement in the amount of the cosmogenic nuclide 10Be in the Anatrctic Dome Fuji ice core occurs, as reported by Miyake et al. (2013, Nature Comm., 4, 1748). The anomalous amounts of these radioactive nucleides are possibly caused by either the energetic particles from a very large solar flare, or, alternatively, the high-energy radiation from a nearby supernova, slamming into the Earth's upper atmosphere. The lack of historical records of a bright supernova at this epoch and the fact that a similar event occurred in 774 - 775 CE tend to favor the solar "super-flare" hypothesis.

774 - 775 CE (or AD)

A large enhancement in the production of radioactive carbon (14C), as evidenced by dendrochronological (tree-ring) analysis, possibly caused by either a very large solar flare and/or coronal mass ejection, or the high-energy radiation from a nearby supernova, slamming into the Earth's upper atmosphere. The lack of historical records of either a bright supernova visible in the sky or of intense aurorae make the actual cause of this eventrather puzzling. Hambaryan and Neuhauser (2013, MNRAS, 430, 32) hypothesize that the event was actually a short gamma-ray burst which occurred 1-4 kpc away within the Milky Way Galaxy: if correct, this would be the first evidence for a short GRB having occurred in our Galaxy.

Have a great day, Jess

• Like 2

On 10/16/2018 at 7:23 PM, Piney said:

Caused by the massive amount of moisture in the air from the glaciers melting. :yes:

something must have melted those glaciers quickly enough to cause a mini ice age. what do you suggest?

Edited by Captain Risky

1 minute ago, Captain Risky said:

some must have melted those glaciers quickly enough to cause a mini ice age.

That's about what happened. The extremely fast melting of the glaciers threw too much moisture in the air and cooled everything down again. 

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

That's about what happened. The extremely fast melting of the glaciers threw too much moisture in the air and cooled everything down again. 

so what type of event cause something like that...?  Jesshill and Vrcocha suggest if not a comet strike then a plasma strike. both plausible due to their intense and sudden nature. 

4 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

so what type of event cause something like that...?  Jesshill and Vrcocha suggest if not a comet strike then a plasma strike. both plausible due to their intense and sudden nature. 

It wasn't so intense or sudden. We didn't find any animal or human remains from a mass die off. Just a slow die off due to a  drop and rise in temperature. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

It wasn't so intense or sudden. We didn't find any animal or human remains from a mass die off. Just a slow die off due to a  drop and rise in temperature. 

hold on... the temperature decreased and a mini ice age came about and then after 1200 years it was over, reverting back to global warming. sounds to me that something outta place and sudden occurred.