Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hurricane Irma aims at Florida, Carribean

Colt Storm

Just days after Hurricane Harvey devastated parts of Texas and Louisiana, another storm, Hurricane Irma, has strengthened over the Atlantic Ocean, threatening to batter the Caribbean this week as “an extremely dangerous” Category 5 storm, the National Weather Service said on Tuesday.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/04/us/hurricane-irma.html

• Like 7

I saw, on the news, how they are all stocking up on supplies.  However, I don't understand how that works, i.e. if their homes stand to be obliterated.... dontknow.gif  I didn't hear anyone speak of underground bunkers...surely such locations might benefit from these?  Maybe it's a question of lack of finance...

Edited by sees

For the same reason houses don't have basements in Florida and other low lying areas. You can't dig a hole without it filling up with water. The water table is too high. That is also why a lot of areas have crypts instead of burying people in the ground.

http://www.neworleansonline.com/neworleans/attractions/cemeteries.html

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 9

29 minutes ago, sees said:

I saw, on the news, how they are all stocking up on supplies.  However, I don't understand how that works, i.e. if their homes stand to be obliterated.... dontknow.gif  I didn't hear anyone speak of underground bunkers...surely such locations might benefit from these?  Maybe it's a question of lack of finance...

Underground bunkers and floodings isnt a good match typically.

• Like 7

53 minutes ago, sees said:

With a Cat 5 approaching, most will leave if they can, unless they have shelters that will stand the storm.  Most people along the coast these days have well-built homes but a Cat 5 is a scary beast.  You literally take your life in your hands to stay and ride it out.  I hope we don't have to make that choice on my part of the coast.

• Like 4

I'm hoping my BIL's son and his family leave the Keys. Last I heard they were preparing for the hurricane, but they didn't know if they were going to leave or not. Our friends in St. Thomas don't have much choice. They get the tourists out first before the airport is closed. Usually it's too late to get the residents out. They have strict building codes so they survive fairly well for the most part. It depends on which side of the island the wind is coming from though. Some areas are better protected than others.

• Like 3

I don't envy them having to make that choice.   It's tough to abandon everything you own.   

• Like 6

The family has left the Keys, thank goodness! This is the strongest hurricane ever recorded. I was in St Thomas a year after Marilyn and it was devastating. My sister and her husband lived there at the time and they didn't have electricity for six months. Which also means they didn't have water. The water is pumped from the cisterns. One third of the condos in their complex were completely destroyed. I mean totally gone! They were lucky.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 3

Best I can hope for is it knocks down the tree I've been bothering my landlord about for a year or two. It'd get me out of my renters agreement at least. 

I live in a trailer built in the 70s, definitely not rated for this sort of storm. 

But don't have much I'm particularly worried about losing. 

Otherwise... On a persona level even if it misses the part I live in, which is dubious, the storm will run over the supplies and main customers of the company I work for. 

Pensacola has been flooded a few times and suffered damage from it. But no real overhaul of the infrastructure has been done. Even a near miss will lead to a lot of erosion and damage. 

• Like 4

My thoughts are with you, Shadow. Keep yourself safe, please.

• Like 3

Thanks, but I'm not much concerned with myself. Worst comes I can drop everything and drive. 

Lots of folks I know can't. 

And of course there's those fools who always think having a party on the beach is a grand idea. 

Can't be to critical of course. Went surfing during two different storms. 

My current gf has strictly asked me not to. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, ShadowSot said:

Thanks, but I'm not much concerned with myself. Worst comes I can drop everything and drive. 

Lots of folks I know can't. 

And of course there's those fools who always think having a party on the beach is a grand idea. 

Can't be to critical of course. Went surfing during two different storms. 

My current gf has strictly asked me not to. 

Officials have said this is not the one you want to try that with. :tu:

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Officials have said this is not the one you want to try that with. :tu:

No, I think the waves will reach a bit to far in land. I can only sort of doggy paddle on my board anyway. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Russian Hare said:

You can watch the storm approach, live feed from Port St Marteen, northeast Carribean island, need to disable ad blockers to view:

http://www.portstmaartenwebcam.com/

Here comes the outer bands...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Holland+House/@16.6788518,-67.8238957,3528904m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x8c0e6e0a32d04ec3:0x56220c3f414bb117!8m2!3d18.0229358!4d-63.0447746

• Like 2

Another monster storm is hurtling closer to the United States, this time threatening Florida, where officials announced mandatory evacuations Tuesday in advance of what forecasters say could be the most powerful hurricane to strike the Atlantic coast in more than a decade.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2017/09/05/florida-declares-state-of-emergency-as-hurricane-irma-intensifies-to-a-category-5-storm/

Thoughts and prayers for all in her path.

• Like 4

I hope people that can evacuate or better yet the storm makes a sudden course change and drags Jose with it.  There is a storm hot on Irma's tail.  Let hope it stays a tropical storm. 

FEMA must be looking hard for money to pay for Harvey much less Irma.

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2017/09/05/Tropical-Storm-Jose-gains-strength-behind-Irma/9571504625837/?utm_source=fp&utm_campaign=ts_pi&utm_medium=1

• Like 3

Earlier today predictions showed it headed further east, but more recent predictions are tracking the path back in my direction. 

If the worst happens, I want to will my "likes" to posters in need. 

• Like 4

She's hit Antigua. Winds are at 185 mph. Stay safe everyone. My brother and my nephew and his family are by Panama City, FL Shadow. You guys all need to stay safe if she hooks north quickly. I certainly don't hope she stays westbound. This isn't going to be good for anybody. Heard there's another storm forming right behind her also.

Video seems to loop.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 3

Here in Valdosta we have alot of Floridians recently migrated. Just looking at the storm though i wonder if we should all head further north...

I wonder how bad traffic on I-75 will be in the event we do need to head north... Mapped out an escape route of backroads just in case....

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Wes4747 said:

Here in Valdosta we have alot of Floridians recently migrated. Just looking at the storm though i wonder if we should all head further north...

I wonder how bad traffic on I-75 will be in the event we do need to head north... Mapped out an escape route of backroads just in case....

We are moving to Valdosta, we were leaving next week. That's on hold now.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Colt Storm said:

We are moving to Valdosta, we were leaving next week. That's on hold now.

Good town man, if you eat seafood its very likely we shall cross paths! Stay safe!

• Like 5