Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hurricane Irma aims at Florida, Carribean

Colt Storm

1 hour ago, aka CAT said:

I guess they returned to where their son was looking after their animals.  They'd best be beyond the storm surge.  I pray they stay safe.

Yes, they got home early Saturday and didn’t let anyone know.  <_<  They drove through the night.

Where they are is well above sea level.  Although, there could still be significant local flooding.  Thank you.  Let’s hope and pray everyone stays safe.

Edited by RavenHawk
  • Like 6

Here's some videos of Miami taken earlier this afternoon.

http://people.com/human-interest/dramatic-video-shows-irma-waves-breaking-through-miami-seawall-and-completely-flooding-streets/

These are pics of So. Florida.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/10/us/florida-irma-images/index.html

Latest update. Hope all our Florida members are in a place of safety and well supplied enough until help arrives.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/09/us/hurricane-irma-florida-latest/index.html

Edited by susieice
  • Like 7

The good news is that the center of Irma was last reported by the NHC 

to be moving seven times as fast as did that of Harvey on average.  Quote:

11:00 PM EDT Sun Sep 10
Moving: N at 14 mph
Min pressure: 952 mb
Max sustained: 100 mph

Edited by aka CAT
  • Like 3

The family is all in bed now.  The father-in-law probably won't go to bed until about 0200.  If I knew that my work was closed tomorrow, I'd be on the back porch experiencing the weather with a bottle of wine.  How anybody can sleep during this for whatever reason is beyond me.  Fortunately I do have work tomorrow so I'll be heading to bed here in a few hours.  But I do have the bottle of wine!  B)

• Like 5

18 hours ago, RavenHawk said:

Just got off the phone with the in-laws.  They live near 22nd Ave N and 49th st in St Petes.  That is the high ground and their home is made of cinder block with heavy shutters.  They are hunkering down and have plenty of food and water.  Mandatory curfew goes into effect at 1700.  I have a feeling we'll be checking in throughout the day.  We've spent a lot of time at various condos on the barrier Islands during vacations.  I've grown to love the area.  We're hearing that the bay is draining and the tide along the gulf side is pulling out.  The storm serge is going to be beyond devastating.  Kind of wondering if John's Pass is going to get wiped out or if a new pass will be opened up?  How many buildings are going to be lost?

I just talk to a friend back home. Said he has a large tree in his front yard on his roof now. The police won't let people on the islands yet, so no update on my place yet.  Doesn't look as bad as it could have though. Thank God.

• Like 3

Yesterday a reporter interviewed Irma.    Told her she was the most devastating hurricane in many years.    Asked her what she was going to do next.   Her answer?  I'm going to Disney World!

• Like 3

I just finally got in touch with my Daughter who lives with my ex and she told my their roof was totally blown off in Largo. Says everything is flooded in the house. All walls no roof. It is an older house so I knew there were no hurricane straps holding down the trusses. I had kinda pleaded with my Ex to not stay there during the storm with my kid, first time she ever listened to me. 

I'm going to hang out up here in Alabama until everything settles down. Not looking forward to the madhouse traffic and what I'll find when I get back. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Why not said:

I just finally got in touch with my Daughter who lives with my ex and she told my their roof was totally blown off in Largo. Says everything is flooded in the house. All walls no roof. It is an older house so I knew there were no hurricane straps holding down the trusses. I had kinda pleaded with my Ex to not stay there during the storm with my kid, first time she ever listened to me. 

I'm going to hang out up here in Alabama until everything settles down. Not looking forward to the madhouse traffic and what I'll find when I get back. 

What’s important is that everyone is alright.  I’m still waiting to hear from my wife about the relatives.  But I can imagine that traffic will be a worse disaster than Irma.  They need to fly drones block by block and link them on the net so that people like you can get a heads up on your place.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, RavenHawk said:

What’s important is that everyone is alright.  I’m still waiting to hear from my wife about the relatives.  But I can imagine that traffic will be a worse disaster than Irma.  They need to fly drones block by block and link them on the net so that people like you can get a heads up on your place.

I know the are very well were your in-laws are. I haven't heard anything that way yet.  I'm still trying to find out if straight winds or a tornado ripped apart my daughters place.  Looks like see might be staying with me for a while. 

• Like 3

Uninformed of casualties, I pray all of the survivors of Hurricane Irma have their lives back in order ASAP.

3 hours ago, RavenHawk said:

May you soon receive news of their being fine.

Hopefully, too, Grampa Greenman is okay.

Edited by aka CAT
  • Like 3

All is fine with the relatives.  Very superficial damage, mostly debris.  They have power.  Some neighbors do not have power.  For a while they were only able to call out to selective places and couldn't receive calls but that seems to have cleared up.  Curfew is still in place (and for maybe another 30 mins).  I'm sure no one was obeying or even enforcing that.

• Like 3

I'm so glad to hear that, RavenHawk! It's extremely unnerving not being able to get in touch with loved ones at a time like this. :tu:

• Like 2

Just now, Michelle said:

I'm so glad to hear that, RavenHawk! It's extremely unnerving not being able to get in touch with loved ones at a time like this. :tu:

It also means that my wife may get some sleep tonight, which means that I might as well.  :)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

It also means that my wife may get some sleep tonight, which means that I might as well.  :)

I can relate. We've got friends and relatives all over Florida and the Caribbean and I've barely slept in days. 

• Like 2

Just heard from a brother-in-law.  He was out driving and he says it is literally chaos out there.  People speeding, dodging debris, traffic lights out.  He said he ain’t going out again.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RavenHawk said:

All is fine with the relatives.  Very superficial damage, mostly debris.  They have power.  Some neighbors do not have power.  For a while they were only able to call out to selective places and couldn't receive calls but that seems to have cleared up.  Curfew is still in place (and for maybe another 30 mins).  I'm sure no one was obeying or even enforcing that.

Where are your relatives at? We have curfew here at 10pm and they stopped selling alcohol Saturday.

• Like 1

Lots of wind, but it's all over here. Had a bit of rain. 

Sounded like people were beating on the walls of the shop last night. 

Lots of fallen branches, big ones where I normally park at home. No real damage though. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, aka CAT said:

Uninformed of casualties, I pray all of the survivors of Hurricane Irma have their lives back in order ASAP.

May you soon receive news of their being fine.

Hopefully, too, Grampa Greenman is okay.

Thinking Grandpa may not have power at the moment. Hope we hear from him soon.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

Tree went down at my nephew's but didn't hit the house. Just got home from work so I just got in touch with them.

• Like 1

North Central Florida checking in. Big trees down, helped clean up some today. And came back home this evening to my power on after it went off late last night. Good stuff. Glad Irma fell off quick after landfall because it went DIRECTLY over us.

Whew. I couldn't handle living on the coasts. Hurricanes are nerve wracking. I'd take a blizzard anyday.

• Like 3