Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Forest fires choking us to death

AnchorSteam

2 hours ago, AnchorSteam said:

That is why it is called Public, after all. The Govt is NOT supposed to own any land at all, it is supposed to be managing it, for we the public. 

That's the theory, anyway. :rolleyes:

I like that a lot.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2017 at 0:52 PM, Gromdor said:

Old Air Force buddy was posting pictures of "Ash Snow" that was falling near his house in Portland. 

We got that "snow" over here on the west end of the Metro area also. Tiny white flakes. But, when you looked at the hood of the car, there was an almost equal amount of black soot that came down, which didn't seem to be easy to see otherwise.

Edited by DieChecker

On 9/7/2017 at 5:46 AM, ChaosRose said:

As the planet is getting hotter, there are more forest fires. It's worse than it has ever been.

That's not from too much regulation, it's from not enough regulation and too many people. 

Please save the preaching for the choir. Regulation is what has made what should be a natural fire cycle into uncontrollable infernos. When regular clearing of debris by way of fire occurs, the forest is more healthy. When all fires and clearing of dead wood is prevented, when the fire does start, it has so much more fuel and is so much harder to put out.

Trying to keep people out isn't what needs addressing. It is keeping the forest more clear of debris... done partly by responsible harvesting, which needs to happen.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DieChecker said:

Please save the preaching for the choir. Regulation is what has made what should be a natural fire cycle into uncontrollable infernos. When regular clearing of debris by way of fire occurs, the forest is more healthy. When all fires and clearing of dead wood is prevented, when the fire does start, it has so much more fuel and is so much harder to put out.

Trying to keep people out isn't what needs addressing. It is keeping the forest more clear of debris... done partly by responsible harvesting, which needs to happen.

There are more fires and worse ones because it's hotter and drier.

The effects of global warming on temperature, precipitation levels, and soil moisture are turning many of our forests into kindling during wildfire season.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjMg42-8aTWAhUBzCYKHc-OAIAQFggmMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ucsusa.org%2Fglobal_warming%2Fscience_and_impacts%2Fimpacts%2Fglobal-warming-and-wildfire.html&usg=AFQjCNH0z_ux59mJP19a0DJSCP27ZHRZoA

And it's not just here because of some "regulation" problem. It's happening everywhere.

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

There are more fires and worse ones because it's hotter and drier.

The effects of global warming on temperature, precipitation levels, and soil moisture are turning many of our forests into kindling during wildfire season.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjMg42-8aTWAhUBzCYKHc-OAIAQFggmMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ucsusa.org%2Fglobal_warming%2Fscience_and_impacts%2Fimpacts%2Fglobal-warming-and-wildfire.html&usg=AFQjCNH0z_ux59mJP19a0DJSCP27ZHRZoA

And it's not just here because of some "regulation" problem. It's happening everywhere.

Hummm.... Perhaps, but everyone's grandpa always says, "You think this is hot? When I was a kid....". 

Regardless, the allowing of beetle killed trees, and undergrowth to not be burned regularly allows for the debris to build up and makes it worse when it does burn. This is a fact.

I read the article and I can't argue with it, because they don't really state many numbers. Is it 1% worse, or 25% worse? They just say "worse". That things are worse is a fact, but is it due to Humans, or Nature? Undoubtedly, humans are involved, but is human activity 90% or 10% of the increase? That is still under debate, I think.

I read this....

Wildfires in the western United States have been increasing in frequency and duration since the mid-1980s, occurring nearly four times more often, burning more than six times the land area, and lasting almost five times as long (comparisons are between 1970-1986 and 1986-2003).

And, I'm sure all of that has nothing to do with Federal land use laws, and budgets, and manpower, and the US population increasing 50% over the last 30 years?

This reminds me of Conservative articles that also cherry pick data and use "adjusted datasets" and "specialized models" to prove their points.

Again, I'm not saying it isn't happening, but I am saying that making grandiose pronouncements of impending doom probably isn't called for just yet. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My prayers are for the people caught up in the wildfires in Northern CA, but there is another big blaze in CA - this one in the southern half in Anaheim Hills (I also have them in my prayers). A huge cloud of smoke fills the skies above Anaheim and Orange (my half-sister lives there). My father used to be CDF firefighter for Orange (1970s) and Riverside (1980s) counties. CA had a wet winter, lots of vegetation growth as a result...and all the grasses die in the summer. 

Edited by Solipsi Rai