Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man Kills wife - blames cold medicine

Bavarian Raven

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/north-carolina-man-charged-wife-s-murder-told-911-he-n798981

A North Carolina man was told he could face the death penalty on Tuesday for the murder of his wife after he told a 911 dispatcher he may have killed her after drinking too much cold medicine. 

“I had a dream and then I turn on the lights and she’s dead on the floor,” suspect Matthew Phelps, 28, said during a nearly seven-minute 911 call early Friday morning.

Not sure what to think about this one. He's probably guilty - but what if he's not? 

Well he is definately guilty of killing her. I would think if it was anything to do with the cough medicine, which can produce mania and violence when taken in excess, then they will.look into his mental history.

He knew what "good" effect the drug could do, so highly likely he knew the side effects too.

Should he face the death penalty? I certainly do not think so.

Should he be placed in prison for the rest of his life and used for future testing of cough medicines? Yeah, so the labs can produce either a different drug or bigger warning signs for all those stupid enough to overdose on medicines so they can sleep better and especially for the safety of their partners sleeping beside them.

And, in a 2012 study, scientists concluded that high doses of a specific ingredient in the medicine have been found to cause mania and hallucinations and that potentially left people “at risk for violent and self-destructive acts.”

Wow. I would really doubt that most people realize an OTC cold medication can cause them to hallucinate. 

• Like 2

There are always excuses for crimes.  Maybe I am just feeling  down after a dilly of a day, but, I am feeling like criminals are getting away with everything under the sun and victims are shoved to the side.  It is not right.

Psychopaths/sociopaths never take personal responsibility for anything. You can literally watch them do something and they will deny having done it, or will have some convoluted bogus excuse as to why it's not their fault. Personally, I no longer care so much about these people's 'legal rights'...I care far more about the right to life of the people these monsters abuse and kill.

• Like 1

But what if it was the cold medicine? 

It's not like we don't hear every day how this medicine and that have caused all kinds of crazy things. Remember the one that caused boys to grow breasts? Geez. 

They just don't seem to care whether or not meds are safe. They just see dollar signs. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

But what if it was the cold medicine? 

It's not like we don't hear every day how this medicine and that have caused all kinds of crazy things. Remember the one that caused boys to grow breasts? Geez. 

They just don't seem to care whether or not meds are safe. They just see dollar signs. 

it could well be the cough medicine, but it was a cough medicine, not a recreation drug or something to help you sleep at night.

he took a lot of it, likely to get a buzz. There are known side effects: teenagers would jump on stuff like this to get a buzz......and they would not be taking one or two swigs, they would do what this man did - took too much.  

But some of the known side effects of Coricidin range from racing heart and drowsiness to a drunken feeling and hallucinations.

Would be interesting to know what his medical situation is, but guess that will be brought up in court. 

Was he responsible? yes, for everything he done starting from over dosing on the medication.