Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does Real Magic Actually Exist?

Aquila King

19 hours ago, Aquila King said:

Reveal hidden contents

mag·ic
ˈmajik/  
noun
noun: magic
  1. 1.
    the power of apparently influencing the course of events by using mysterious or supernatural forces.
    "do you believe in magic?"
    synonyms: sorcery, witchcraft, wizardry, necromancy, enchantment, the supernatural, occultism, the occult, black magic, the black arts, voodoo, hoodoo, mojo, shamanism; More
    charm, hex, spell, jinx;
    pixie dust, fairy dust
    "do you believe in magic?"
    • mysterious tricks, such as making things disappear and appear again, performed as entertainment.
      synonyms: conjuring tricks, sleight of hand, legerdemain, illusion, prestidigitation
      "he does magic at children's parties"
    • a quality that makes something seem removed from everyday life, especially in a way that gives delight.
      "the magic of the theater"
      synonyms: allure, attraction, excitement, fascination, charm, glamour
      "the magic of the stage"
    • informal
      something that has a delightfully unusual quality.
      "their seaside town is pure magic"
adjective
adjective: magic
  1. 1.
    used in magic or working by magic; having or apparently having supernatural powers.
    "a magic wand"
    synonyms: supernatural, enchanted, occult
    "a magic spell"
    • very effective in producing results, especially desired ones.
      "confidence is the magic ingredient needed to spark recovery"
  2. 2.
    informal
    wonderful; exciting.
    "what a magic moment"
    synonyms: fascinating, captivating, charming, glamorous, magical, enchanting, entrancing, spellbinding, magnetic, irresistible, hypnotic More
    "a magic place"
    marvelous, wonderful, excellent, admirable;
    informalterrific, fabulous, brilliant
    "we were magic together"
verb
verb: magic; 3rd person present: magics; past tense: magicked; past participle: magicked; gerund or present participle: magicking
  1. 1.
    move, change, or create by or as if by magic.
    "he must have been magicked out of the car at the precise second it exploded"
Origin

late Middle English (also in the sense ‘a magical procedure’): from Old French magique, from Latin magicus (adjective), late Latin magica (noun), from Greek magikē (tekhnē ) ‘(art of) a magus’: magi were regarded as magicians.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

magic (adj.) Look up magic at Dictionary.com
late 14c., from Old French magique, from Latin magicus "magic, magical," from Greek magikos, from magike (see magic (n.)). Magic carpet first attested 1816. Magic Marker (1951) is a registered trademark (U.S.) by Speedry Products, Inc., Richmond Hill, N.Y. Magic lantern "optical instrument whereby a magnified image is thrown upon a wall or screen" is 1690s, from Modern Latin laterna magica.
magic (v.) Look up magic at Dictionary.com
1906, from magic (n.).
magic (n.) Look up magic at Dictionary.com
late 14c., "art of influencing events and producing marvels using hidden natural forces," from Old French magique "magic, magical," from Late Latin magice "sorcery, magic," from Greek magike (presumably with tekhne "art"), fem. of magikos "magical," from magos "one of the members of the learned and priestly class," from Old Persian magush, which is possibly from PIE root *magh- "to be able, have power."

Transferred sense of "legerdemain, optical illusion, etc." is from 1811. Displaced Old English wiccecræft (see witch); also drycræft, from dry "magician," from Irish drui "priest, magician" (see druid).

Now, it doesn't matter what you call it, it's gone by many names. For the sake of simplicity, I'll just call it 'Magic'.

What I'm referring to is some sort of mysterious energy or force that exists, that has the power to influence or possibly completely warp reality in accordance with the user's will.

I'm personally very interested in this topic, as in my personal opinion if there is something spiritual that exists in the universe, then it isn't that much of a stretch for magic to (possibly) exist as well. ;)

And if magic does exist, what is it? And how does it work? What resources are available out there? What do we need to learn or do to practice such a craft?

Your thoughts? ^_^

Yes, magic does exist. When we are able to identify one of those mysterious forces, we term it under science, and yes, we do often learn how to warp it or use it to our will. Alchemy used to be magic, till we figured out the science behind it and it evolved into chemistry. The magic of it didn't go away, we just figured out what it is and how to harness it for our own use. Hedgerow witches used to be magic too, till we really started figuring out medicine and now the magics are known and utilized in science. Curses and blessings are magic- till we start learning about the human mind and how the power of belief works or don't. That whole area of magic has started being explained by the study of mental sciences, and we still have a long way to go yet. What used to be magics of unseen forces have turned out to be waves of various types that we can now manipulate at will, like electricity, radiation, radio, ect. I hold what is probably an unpopular view that science is magic, it's the stuff we have figured out so far. It's not any less amazing or magical to me just because we have explained and harnessed it with science. The rituals have turned into routine practices of the mundane, but they are followed, because we figured out that's the correct ritual to use to make the magic work correctly.

So, that then leaves the mysterious unexplained magics. The paranormal, supernatural stuff. Weird stuff is out there. All it really is is just science that we haven't figured out yet.

• Like 8

19 hours ago, OntarioSquatch said:

The creation and configuration of matter through will and belief falls in the category of magic. The two most common magical phenomena are "NDEs" and telekinesis. To understand such phenomena, one has to understand the deep nature of reality, which requires understanding metaphysics. More specifically, it requires understanding the relationship between mind and matter.

Our habit of reductive materialism when it comes to understanding the mind is something that will have to be let go if we are to progress our understanding of such phenomena. If humanity continues to advance as a species, I'm sure we'll eventually get there 

This is what happens when you let go

Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, rashore said:

So, that then leaves the mysterious unexplained magics. The paranormal, supernatural stuff. Weird stuff is out there. All it really is is just science that we haven't figured out yet.

And due to it's mysterious nature, I'm real interested in this ^ ;)

I actually agree with everything you said in the above paragraph. Science is magic. However what I'm talking about specifically is the power to manipulate forces directly through conformity of our will. In other words, science works when we utilize these forces by building tools we use called technology. What I'm wondering is whether we could possibly utilize these forces by skipping the step of building and using technology and going directly into the effect.

In other words:

• Willful Intent to Utilize Natural Forces + Technology = Environmental Effect
  • Willful Intent to Utilize Natural Forces = Environmental Effect

I hope I'm making some sort of sense... :wacko:

3 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

I actually agree with everything you said in the above paragraph. Science is magic. However what I'm talking about specifically is the power to manipulate forces directly through conformity of our will. In other words, science works when we utilize these forces by building tools we use called technology. What I'm wondering is whether we could possibly utilize these forces by skipping the step of building and using technology and going directly into the effect.

In other words:

The answer is no. Our brains are not designed for such an effort. 

http://guardianlv.com/2014/02/the-secret-law-of-attraction-doesnt-work-heres-proof/

According to neuroscientist Russell Poldrack, energy fields that are emitted from our brains are much too small to directly impact anything material or cause items, money, situations or other material things to manifest magically:

..these fields are minuscule…Plus, remember the inverse square law: the intensity of an energy wave radiating from a source is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from that source…The brain’s magnetic field of 10–15 teslas quickly dissipates from the skull and is promptly swamped by other magneticsources, not to mention the earth’s magnetic field of 10–5 teslas, which overpowers it by 10 orders of magnitude!

Let's not evoke the quantum ghost okay. Please, it's been done enough. 

• Like 3

Think about it this way. If we could literally will things into being without any volitional effort. How lazy would we be? I'm thinking massively lazy. 

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Think about it this way. If we could literally will things into being without any volitional effort. How lazy would we be? I'm thinking massively lazy. 

JFK should've stopped that bullet with his mind.

That's another idiotic thing with quantum woo, a bullet flying towards you shouldn't do anything until you observe it...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

That's assuming willpower to be effortless, where in reality it's often times a rather strenuous task. But I understand your underlying point. ;)

Regardless, technology does the same thing to us. Look how fat and lazy we are now compared to when people had to go work in the fields all day to grow their food.

Just now, Aquila King said:

Look how fat and lazy we are now compared to when people had to go work in the fields all day to grow their food.

Although looking back, we were still lazy enough to pimp that work out to our slaves, so...

:huh: So, I found this video just now, and figured I'd share. Thought this would be interesting to discuss...

Now, obviously the narrator in it makes some pretty strong assertions that I'll go on out on a limb here and say that they're wrong. Regardless, I think this is some interesting footage. Of course most people will quickly write these things off as simply magic tricks obviously (given that they're done by famous magicians), and I certainly don't wanna fall into a 'magic of the gaps' trap, in which I just say "I can't explain how it happened, so, magic!" Nevertheless, There are a few 'tricks' that I just simply don't see any possible way for them to be even remotely physically possible. :blink:

The three most compelling in my opinion being fish out of a empty bucket, the 500 mask changer guy, and the bald dude with the floating crystal balls.

^_^ Anyway, see what you think:

5 hours ago, Aquila King said:

In other words:

You are, but you are not identifying a 'medium of operation' .   Without addressing that, it is nonsense .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Image result for snu snu

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

JFK should've stopped that bullet with his mind.

Ummm ......   he sorta did  !    

5 hours ago, Rlyeh said:

That's another idiotic thing with quantum woo, a bullet flying towards you shouldn't do anything until you observe it...

No, that is actually true about the bullets, you can just deflect them

Image result for  superman ducks gun  gif

But not the gun, that's different !  You better duck the gun !

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, back to earth said:

You are, but you are not identifying a 'medium of operation' .   Without addressing that, it is nonsense .

Post #5 (my first post thus far) on this thread explains this possible medium.

And i dont think the placebo should be written off quite so quickly...

It is a recognized phenomenon with test treatments actually validated when acknowledged to work a small(in some cases) percentage better than placebos.

The medium there could be ones nervous system. Perhaps ones will could navigate the health and well being of your body...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Wes4747 said:

consciousness as the medium.. So, why cant i change my white shirt to blue by choosing to acknowledge it as blue?

Because you've failed to go to your closet and get the blue shirt.:tu:

Our actions are the medium. It's like making a sandwich.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 2

I sense a great disturbance in the Farce.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aquila King said:

:huh: So, I found this video just now, and figured I'd share. Thought this would be interesting to discuss...

Now, obviously the narrator in it makes some pretty strong assertions that I'll go on out on a limb here and say that they're wrong. Regardless, I think this is some interesting footage. Of course most people will quickly write these things off as simply magic tricks obviously (given that they're done by famous magicians), and I certainly don't wanna fall into a 'magic of the gaps' trap, in which I just say "I can't explain how it happened, so, magic!" Nevertheless, There are a few 'tricks' that I just simply don't see any possible way for them to be even remotely physically possible. :blink:

The three most compelling in my opinion being fish out of a empty bucket, the 500 mask changer guy, and the bald dude with the floating crystal balls.

^_^ Anyway, see what you think:

I know the pic they photoshopped into that. 

Image result for shadow person

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

1467055408-debunked_logo.png

Isn't it cute? It's kinda like the muppet of shadow people. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rashore said:

Yes, magic does exist. When we are able to identify one of those mysterious forces, we term it under science, and yes, we do often learn how to warp it or use it to our will. Alchemy used to be magic, till we figured out the science behind it and it evolved into chemistry. The magic of it didn't go away, we just figured out what it is and how to harness it for our own use. Hedgerow witches used to be magic too, till we really started figuring out medicine and now the magics are known and utilized in science. Curses and blessings are magic- till we start learning about the human mind and how the power of belief works or don't. That whole area of magic has started being explained by the study of mental sciences, and we still have a long way to go yet. What used to be magics of unseen forces have turned out to be waves of various types that we can now manipulate at will, like electricity, radiation, radio, ect. I hold what is probably an unpopular view that science is magic, it's the stuff we have figured out so far. It's not any less amazing or magical to me just because we have explained and harnessed it with science. The rituals have turned into routine practices of the mundane, but they are followed, because we figured out that's the correct ritual to use to make the magic work correctly.

If I could I would like this answer twice.