Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why is it spirituality vs skepticism?

rodentraiser

1 minute ago, Aquila King said:

Yeah, well, I may just be tired of what seems to be apparent futility atm... :sleepy: Changing the culture expends a lot of energy, and it's hard to find motivation in a sea of negative feedback...

You can't change people point of view. Only they can change it.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

I say "god is an idea" and people lose their minds. They freak out as if I've mortally wounded their ego. I can back most if not all of my perspective up with links.

YEah, that kinda puzzles me a lot too ...

~

"In The Beginning Was the Word" : A Study of the Logos Doctrine

ancientroadpublications.com/Studies/BiblicalStudies/Logos.html
“In The Beginning Was the Word” A Study of the Logos Doctrine By Kyle Pope. The gospel of John begins with a series of declarations about Jesus' deity and ...

~

The Meaning of 'Logos' in the Prologue of John's Gospel

www.bible-researcher.com › Interpretation

The word λόγος (logos) in the prologue of John's Gospel is a word with a very interesting history in ancient theological writings. It is translated 'Word' in English ...

~

In more than a matter of definition Logos = Idea

~

Logos - Wikipedia

Logos (UK: /ˈloʊɡɒs, ˈlɒɡɒs/, US: /ˈloʊɡoʊs/; Ancient Greek: λόγος, from λέγω lego "I say") is a term in western philosophy, psychology, rhetoric, and religion derived from a Greek word meaning "ground", "plea", "opinion", "expectation", "word", "speech", "account", "reason", "proportion", "discourse", but it became a ...

~

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

<_< Yeah, well, most of my frustration here is spilling over from another forum.

I just wrote basically a damn book's worth of information, then I get hit with a **** ton of posts openly denigrating it all without ever even clicking the links and reading any of it. I'm 'bout to rage quit this whole shindig.

Ahhh  , come on man .    Surely all that helped you to get your thoughts together  and down in a 'paper' .  Now you have that .  All is not lost .

If I may speculate at the risk of being wrong  ;    Xeno had a similar experience, and he got his 'theory of  the Magical Placebo effect' down .

Look at what I studied .   I put it down here sometimes ... mostly the same thing happens .... it just gets ignored.  or torn apart ...

Just because one poster argued with ya ....      

I know you can do it  ;

Spoiler

Image result for Neo deflects bullets gif

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, back to earth said:

Ahhh  , come on man .    Surely all that helped you to get your thoughts together  and down in a 'paper' .  Now you have that .  All is not lost .

If I may speculate at the risk of being wrong  ;    Xeno had a similar experience, and he got his 'theory of  the Magical Placebo effect' down .

Look at what I studied .   I put it down here sometimes ... mostly the same thing happens .... it just gets ignored.  or torn apart ...

Just because one poster argued with ya ....      

I know you can do it  ;

Reveal hidden contents

Image result for Neo deflects bullets gif

Good point. I'll save it all on word doc or something. At least I have it.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, third_eye said:

:tu:

THanks for an obscure word revival ...~seriousness ... an inexplicable mystery in its own right

:)

~

"    Flapdoodle  "  .

• Like 4

Another member suggested that I create a thread dedicated to what I've learned. So I did. It was good for the first few pages. My ideas were hashed out, refined. Then Walker wrecked it like he always does.<_<

• Like 5

1 minute ago, back to earth said:

"    Flapdoodle  "  .

Good thing you had the 'L' in thar sonny ...

:P

~

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

Clearly you aren't reading the words i am writing, but only the words you see in your mind as you read.   I just explained all this simply and clearly.

There are may types of readers on this forum That includes  ttotal skeptics who wont believe anything. People who have an open mind and can be convinced by reasonable points and arguments. People who desperately want to believe and require no convincing . My posts are aimed at the middle group.

Missed it by  one .

33 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

But i am not here to convince, merely to keep telling a narrative which is as true as i can make it, based on my own experiences in life  I do not have any obligation to convince but i do have an obligation to spread knowledge and understanding and to tell the truths i have learned in my life  This is because of the empowerment and  potential having such knowledge and understandings gives to any human being  its like telling others about the benefits of exercise or a vegetarian diet or not smoking.

Not my job to convince, but my duty to report/  

No, you ARE trying to convince someone when you argue a point .

Otherwise you would just 'report'  things .     Do you know what a reporter is  .  Do you know what an argument or a debate is ?  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Another member suggested that I create a thread dedicated to what I've learned. So I did. It was good for the first few pages. My ideas were hashed out, refined. Then Walker wrecked it like he always does.<_<

I'm sorry to hear that.

And I'm also sorry that that made me laugh. :lol:

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

Yes, you're right. I think I've been putting a little too much effort into trying to convince others. It's only natural, being human and all, but I think I need to merely develop my own spirit and then merely express what I've learned, rather than trying to prove what I've learned all the time.

Some of are interested.  I want to hear from people.....in general.  I know of people who can contort themselves into little boxes and stay there for days at a time.  Certain monks can meditate on the slopes of the Himalayan mountains all night and experience zero problems, when most of us would have died of hypothermia after only hours.  These are but a couple of countless examples of human capabilities, which are centered around some kind of belief or spirituality and they don't have the positive rush of dopamine, at least as I see it.  

Other people have gifts of healing or have experienced healings, and these types of things supersede the notion that all belief is tied to dopamine rush...again, IMHO.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sherapy said:

What were you like before? 

This is what has happened to me.

Disappointment. And more disappointment. Then royal disappointment. Pain. Suffering. The bottom fell out. And again, always when I least expect it. Always when I least want to deal with it. This still occurs regularly and I've now embraced it as being an integral part of "The Way."

I just keep being faithful no matter what. Because of faith, catastrophes became blessings. The more tragedy, the more I see why and what it's for, "trouble."

For me, faith did not become real because good fortune found me. No. Instead faith is bolstered because when trouble finds me, I have learned from the time before, that I needed to be down face first. So it's how I've learned to walk and why I'm able to run.

Pain, suffering and struggle has been good for my soul. I understand it.

Everything though, my ability, has been mightily augmented by what I've read in that book. It has been an enormous boost and I doubt I would be where I'm at without it.

But I do want to think that's not the case.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, third_eye said:

True to form ... I beheld my keyboard for the spasms ... just couldn't get the keys from wobbling ...

:lol:

~

Comic consciousness

Image result for boys best SF stories

• Like 5

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

I will tell you one thing AK. Present your ideas. If they get ripped apart, good. Pick up the pieces and refine them. 

Thanks Xeno. ^_^ Guess I'm just having one of those days... :wacko:

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Guyver said:

Some of are interested.  I want to hear from people.....in general.  I know of people who can contort themselves into little boxes and stay there for days at a time.  Certain monks can meditate on the slopes of the Himalayan mountains all night and experience zero problems, when most of us would have died of hypothermia after only hours.  These are but a couple of countless examples of human capabilities, which are centered around some kind of belief or spirituality and they don't have the positive rush of dopamine, at least as I see it.  

Other people have gifts of healing or have experienced healings, and these types of things supersede the notion that all belief is tied to dopamine rush...again, IMHO.  

These things have a lot to do with the mind body connection and training. Healings are a placebo effect. When it comes to the monks, that's tummo breathing. 

Just now, Aquila King said:

Thanks Xeno. ^_^ Guess I'm just having one of those days... :wacko:

I have a lot of those days.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

Yeah, well, I may just be tired of what seems to be apparent futility atm... :sleepy: Changing the culture expends a lot of energy, and it's hard to find motivation in a sea of negative feedback...

I have been enjoying your posts  !

... and ...

Aquila King

• 340   (likes)
  • 334 posts

You  running over  100%    :)  

• Like 5

Just now, Guyver said:

Or not.  

I would love for you to present links that show where faith healing isn't a trigger for the placebo effect. I better not see the word quantum once.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

Seriously I understand . But, then again, have not our types become more and more accepted just in our lifetimes. Culture changes an inch a day. Stay invigorated, my friend!

• Like 1