Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why is it spirituality vs skepticism?

rodentraiser

20 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Do you have kids? Have you ever had a broken heart, lost a loved one, faced the angst of change, saw a sunset?

No, not semantics Will, just two people connecting their humanness. 

Experience of Faith: being asked to help a friend die who had a terminal illness and told there was nothing left for her in the way of medical treatment, and neither of us knew what the f we were doing! Yet, we moved forward anyways. Incidently, she believed in god and I didn't. Our commonality was the trust that grew from a mustard seed of faith in our resources, capabilities, humility, connection, ability to listen, ability to communicate, my resilience, her courage, my ability to comfort in hers to accept it, our mutual support for each other...etc. etc. 

I will tell you that when my Mom died (she believed in God) I felt no loss. We will see each other again. We both knew that. This is the power of faith.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Will Due said:

I will tell you that when my Mom died (she believed in God) I felt no loss. We will see each other again. We both knew that. This is the power of faith.

Awesome, When my friend passed, didn't matter to us about "seeing each other again" because we both decided we just don't know, and we were fine with that. The journey we took together was such a gift to us both: on my end I know I was there for another human, I was all in, I was honored with the experience to provide comfort and really delve deep into death from the front lines and for her she is no longer suffering and she got the death experience she wanted, meaning it was quality. She was so open and vulnerable and honest, for me, it was a once in a lifetime oppourtunity. 

The interesting/kool part is it started with a fate meeting and on a tiny bit of faith, we together would find a way to face her death and I have to say we had a lot of fun along the way, mixed with the fears, the angst, the acceptance, set backs, the unknowns, the waiting and the journey of letting go, the physical aspects of the death process, the level of trust that grew between us was awe inspiring and humbling. Wow, This is the power of faith to me. 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Liquid Gardens said:

This seems to ignore a lot about her case.  She was trapped in a piece of the fuselage during descent, which hit trees and landed in snow.  She barely survived it; she had skull fracture, broke both legs and three vertebrae, was in a coma and temporarily paralyzed.  I'm not sure what physics are being defied here.

Force, mass, velocity, blunt force trauma?  According to the article, part of that is in dispute, "Vulović disputed the assertion that she was discovered in the aircraft's fuselage on the basis of her conversations with Honke. "The man who found me ... told me that I was in the middle part of the plane," she said. "I was found with my head down and my colleague on top of me. One part of my body with my leg was in the plane and my head was out of the plane"

Irrespective of that.....in a DC9 travelling at or near 500 mph, suddenly struck by an explosion from a bomb that cause the plane to blow apart at 33,000 feet leaves you a drop at terminal velocity at around 122 mph.    Just using the simple F=MA calculation.......the acceleration being constant.....being inside the plane increases the force applied to her as she strikes the ground significantly.  

Let's say she weighed 125 pounds.  F=125(122) = 15,250 impact force.  Now consider that the part of the plane she was in weighed 2400 pounds.

F = 125+2400 (122) = 308,050 impact force.  So, falling from inside the plane increased her impact force by 20 times.  

4 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

I think then evidence-denial and maybe even dishonesty may be what I will have to use as MY pat answer, if you want to play that immature game.

I think your inability to back up a single one of your claims makes everything you post invalid, but that's just me. The thing is I do back up what I say. You. Not. So. Much.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, freetoroam said:

yep, got ya. i can not even be bothered to reply to his dribble......which  stains the upholstery of the threads.. 

I'm a glutton for punishment I suppose.:lol:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

The people interpreting the people interpreting atheism.:whistle:

Well, the people interpreting atheism could be both the atheists and the people who judge them, and then the people who judge the atheists are judging them against the interpretation of atheism they come up with which may or may not be the same interpretation the atheists come up with in their interpretation of atheism. The people interpreting the people interpreting atheism then are usually outsiders who are curious about the interactions between the two. I'd have to say it depended on everyone's psychological profile. I mean, we all have one.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Will Due said:

I'll clarify.

Faith, is in who I am and who God is. 

God is my Father, I am his son. 

It is in this faith, that I have life.

I don't have faith "in the words" of the UB. I read in the book about what this faith is and does when faith in God is total. I will plainly say, if this faith isn't total, reading a book is useless. It's a tool that can't be used and I've been in that position.

Reading the book bolsters what I've already experienced. First I experience the consciousness that is God's, then I read about it in a book. And not just one book. 

The Urantia Book is the best of them all because, well, it just is.

Growing up spiritually entails triumphing over disappointment. Disappointments are food for growth and when I triumph over them my soul grows. Then when I read the book again, I have more insight which makes it easier to triumph the next time, which because of it, when I read the book again, I'm able to gain more insight again.

This process just keeps growing. Because of faith.

I don't cope with life. Life gives me joy, meaning, value and purpose. And this is true because of faith in God, the Father of all.

Which god out of all that have been written about and why that particular one and not another?

Just now, rodentraiser said:

Which god out of all that have been written about and why that particular one and not another?

I'm getting tired of this.

THERE IS ONLY ONE GOD DAMN GOD.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Well, there are (according to what I read) roughly 4200 religions in the world and that's not counting the ones that aren't practiced anymore. Most of them have a supreme being of some sort. So 4199 plus or minus religions are wrong about having the only one god. Your odds of being right ain't too good there. People have won lotteries with worse odds.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Will Due said:

So.....god's name is Damn? Maybe Damngod or Goddamn? Is Damnit a demi-god?

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

Well, there are (according to what I read) roughly 4200 religions in the world and that's not counting the ones that aren't practiced anymore. Most of them have a supreme being of some sort. So 4199 plus or minus religions are wrong about having the only one god. Your odds of being right ain't too good there. People have won lotteries with worse odds.

Play the fing lottery then. 

YOU DON'T CARE TO BE REAL ABOUT GOD.

I DON'T CARE THAT YOU DON'T. 

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

So.....god's name is Damn? Maybe Damngod or Goddamn? Is Damnit a demi-god?

HIS NAME IS:

YOU DON'T WANT TO PLAY BALL.

GET OFF OF MY FIELD.

How's that?

2 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Well, you aren't playing real either. You still haven't answered why you chose (and I have to say chose because I doubt you were brought up with Urantia) that god over, say, the one the Mormons like or the one the Celts liked.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Will Due said:

HIS NAME IS:

YOU DON'T WANT TO PLAY BALL.

GET OFF OF MY FIELD.

You haven't even tossed the ball yet. Fine pack up your toys and go home. Meanie.

Chaos, confusion, fear, flaming, and fighting - my work here is done for a while. I need to take off now, but Will Due, I really would be interested in exactly what appealed to you about Urantia out of all the other religions you could have chosen.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Obviously you care because you responded. 

1 minute ago, rodentraiser said:

Chaos, confusion, fear, flaming, and fighting - my work here is done for a while. I need to take off now, but Will Due, I really would be interested in exactly what appealed to you about Urantia out of all the other religions you could have chosen.

Look, you want to play around with this is there a God BS, go right ahead. Have fun.

The Urantia Book? Jesus H. Fing Christ.

GOD IS REAL AND HE'S TIRED OF SENDING HIS CHILDREN DOWN HERE SO A BUNCH OF FOAMING AT THE MOUTH NUT JOB THERE IS NO GOD IDIOTS CAN MURDER THEM FOR BRIINGING US THE MESSAGE THAT HE'S REAL. 

So this time he just sent a postcard.

what went wrong with this 'god's mobile phone ?

~

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Look, you want to play around with this is there a God BS, go right ahead. Have fun.

GOD IS REAL AND HE'S TIRED OF SENDING HIS CHILDREN DOWN HERE SO A BUNCH OF FOAMING AT THE MOUTH NUT JOB THERE IS NO GOD IDIOTS CAN MURDER THEM FOR BRIINGING US THE MESSAGE THAT HE'S REAL. 

Why are you angry, Will? 

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Will Due said:

So you're in contact with god? You know if god is so upset with us then it's his fault. 

tenor.gif

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Will Due said:

SENDING HIS CHILDREN DOWN HERE SO A BUNCH OF FOAMING AT THE MOUTH NUT JOB THERE IS NO GOD IDIOTS CAN MURDER THEM FOR BRIINGING US THE MESSAGE THAT HE'S REAL. 

Last I checked it was the believers killing the non-believers (not all of them and not everyone). There's even a whole religion centered around this concept.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Guyver said:

Let's say she weighed 125 pounds.  F=125(122) = 15,250 impact force.  Now consider that the part of the plane she was in weighed 2400 pounds.

F = 125+2400 (122) = 308,050 impact force.  So, falling from inside the plane increased her impact force by 20 times.  

I'm not a physicist nor mathematician, but the above doesn't look right to me.   The mass of the part of the plane she was in doesn't really matter, that doesn't increase "her impact force"; if she was in a part of the plane that was 24,000 pounds, that doesn't increase the impact force on her by a factor of 10 compared to the above.  If we go with your above calculation where we have 300K of force, the question then becomes how was that force distributed on landing.  With the impact force you quoted above, hitting trees is not likely to bring her to a full stop (where she would then feel the force of her weight only times the deceleration to zero which I'm not sure anyone could survive) but instead will decrease the velocity and thus the remaining 'force' is lessened.  Factor in snow which will provide some cushion and I thought that I had read that she may have landed on a slope and that provides even more wiggle room.

Don't get me wrong, it is no doubt amazing that she survived at all, but I don't think either physics or mathematics is in any trouble here.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Why are you angry, Will? 

Sorry. I'm tired.

• Like 3